Just another LJ build - Page 152 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Just another LJ build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Reply
Unread 01-06-2014, 10:48 PM   #2266
green50gt
Senior Member
 
green50gt's Avatar
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Goshen, IN
Posts: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
2003 to 2006 Rubicon factory real locker is a limited slip if not locked, what happens is that the worm gears for the limited slip part like to dis integrate. Thereby destroying the locker. Fairly common malady when used hard and often
Huh. I also did not know this. Good to know thanks a lot, I was about to ask the question myself.

green50gt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2014, 10:14 AM   #2267
gspup
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Demfer, CO
Posts: 2,616
Everyone I know usually keeps their rear locked on anything with decent sized rocks. g-rocc is your rear locker usually on ?

Only rubi locker I've seen boom happened when my bud karl experienced his rear UCA axle side mounts ripping off, destroyed the DS u-joints and breaking a rear cromo on the Patriot exit. But I think the stock welds were at fault for the whole shebang.
__________________
TJ build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ljs-devil-1329976/
gspup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2014, 12:05 PM   #2268
g-rocc
Member
 
g-rocc's Avatar
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspup
Everyone I know usually keeps their rear locked on anything with decent sized rocks. g-rocc is your rear locker usually on ? Only rubi locker I've seen boom happened when my bud karl experienced his rear UCA axle side mounts ripping off, destroyed the DS u-joints and breaking a rear cromo on the Patriot exit. But I think the stock welds were at fault for the whole shebang.
Only when needed. That being said, I'm locked front and rear the entire time on some trails (patriot, carnage). On trails like chinaman I only lock up at the big obstacles.
g-rocc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2014, 07:13 PM   #2269
locrwln
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Reno, Nevada
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Jody is going to detail the process , have your gear guy take a look at it once its complete ... which should be by the end of this week. Other than a little grinding and a very thick pinion shim it seems pretty straightforward .

The kit is from a yet to be named vendor in NC , and depending on how all this works out I think they may offer a JK gear swap kit .
Looking forward to this.

Jack
__________________
2006 LJ Rubicon
locrwln is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2014, 08:16 PM   #2270
Treadway
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 9
OkLaHoMaTJ- I tried to reply to your PM, but your box is full.

I received most of my remaining parts needed to complete Greg's axle upgrades today. Tomorrow I should be emailing him some pattern pix if all goes to plan.
Treadway is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2014, 08:43 PM   #2271
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden, NC
Posts: 5,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspup View Post
Everyone I know usually keeps their rear locked on anything with decent sized rocks. g-rocc is your rear locker usually on ?

Only rubi locker I've seen boom happened when my bud karl experienced his rear UCA axle side mounts ripping off, destroyed the DS u-joints and breaking a rear cromo on the Patriot exit. But I think the stock welds were at fault for the whole shebang.
From all I have read keeping the rear locked will help it live a lot longer , and it also sounds like I need to stay off of Patriot .

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-rocc View Post
Only when needed. That being said, I'm locked front and rear the entire time on some trails (patriot, carnage). On trails like chinaman I only lock up at the big obstacles.
In the past I would unlock after major obstacles , but the rear will stay locked offroad as cheap insurance from now on .
Quote:
Originally Posted by locrwln View Post
Looking forward to this.

Jack
Same here !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadway View Post
I received most of my remaining parts needed to complete Greg's axle upgrades today. Tomorrow I should be emailing him some pattern pix if all goes to plan.
Is it tomorrow yet
__________________
Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 04:22 PM   #2272
gspup
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Demfer, CO
Posts: 2,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post

it also sounds like I need to stay off of Patriot .
That's my plan.
__________________
TJ build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ljs-devil-1329976/
gspup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 05:54 PM   #2273
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden, NC
Posts: 5,511


Giggity
__________________
Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 06:46 PM   #2274
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013
 
Hendrix's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: FT Myers, Florida
Posts: 4,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley
Giggity
I got a pair of those too.
Hendrix is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 06:49 PM   #2275
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden, NC
Posts: 5,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
I got a pair of those too.
And some 5.13s too didnt you ? I cant wait to drive it again with the new gears .
__________________
Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 07:19 PM   #2276
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013
 
Hendrix's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: FT Myers, Florida
Posts: 4,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley
And some 5.13s too didnt you ? I cant wait to drive it again with the new gears .
Yes, unfortunately I have no time to install.
Hendrix is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 07:57 PM   #2277
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden, NC
Posts: 5,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
Yes, unfortunately I have no time to install.
But you have plenty of work , its quite the quandary isnt it ?
__________________
Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 08:32 PM   #2278
Treadway
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 9
After a 13 hour day today (about 3 on Greg's LJ) I'm just too pooped to upload my pics.
But...the front is done. I got the rest of what I was needing to properly set pinion depth and went to work. Stock pinion depth was 0.056" and the end depth with the JK gear swap was 0.291". I was able to shim 0.050" behind the pinion race and use 0.056" via a large slinger to keep the pinion bearing bathed in oil. The rest was OEM JK44 shims placed between the slinger and bearing. I was able to use some leftover OEM Rubi 44 carrier shims to set backlash. All in all, it looks like a factory install aside from the large stack at the pinion (which you can't see).
I'll knock out the rear tomorrow afternoon. I measured the stock rear pinion depth at 0.055" today, so I'm confident I'll be able to start at close to my final stack height from the front and be much more time efficient.
I'll do more of these in the future I'm sure. Typically I can regear a set of Jeep axles in about 4 hours. This swap has long surpassed that time allowance. But you don't learn new things until you step outside your comfort zone occasionally!
I hope to be driving it Friday to break in the gears if all goes to plan.
Treadway is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2014, 09:29 PM   #2279
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden, NC
Posts: 5,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadway View Post
After a 13 hour day today (about 3 on Greg's LJ) I'm just too pooped to upload my pics.
But...the front is done. I got the rest of what I was needing to properly set pinion depth and went to work. Stock pinion depth was 0.056" and the end depth with the JK gear swap was 0.291". I was able to shim 0.050" behind the pinion race and use 0.056" via a large slinger to keep the pinion bearing bathed in oil. The rest was OEM JK44 shims placed between the slinger and bearing. I was able to use some leftover OEM Rubi 44 carrier shims to set backlash. All in all, it looks like a factory install aside from the large stack at the pinion (which you can't see).
I'll knock out the rear tomorrow afternoon. I measured the stock rear pinion depth at 0.055" today, so I'm confident I'll be able to start at close to my final stack height from the front and be much more time efficient.
I'll do more of these in the future I'm sure. Typically I can regear a set of Jeep axles in about 4 hours. This swap has long surpassed that time allowance. But you don't learn new things until you step outside your comfort zone occasionally!
I hope to be driving it Friday to break in the gears if all goes to plan.
All that typing and this is the only picture I get ? I am sure you are taunting me on purpose now
1525163_10201627220221251_1442176603_n.jpg  
__________________
Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2014, 09:31 PM   #2280
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden, NC
Posts: 5,511
Just got home from the three hour tour with 5.13s . First impression is that one of the noises that bugged me is gone ! The gears make a huge difference in driveability in town and up the hills . Once the trailer is loaded up I think that this is going to be about perfect for our trips . It may be a little too much gear for some of y'all , but it is turning 2750 rpms @ 65 mph and thats about as fast as we ever go . Jody is going to post up some install pictures this weekend , but until then heres some pictures from U Joint Off Roads shop ...



The owner calls this one V4.

Not sure of the name of this one other than awesome . http://ujointoffroad.com/

So thats it for the night , made it home with a big ol grin thanks to the gears .
__________________
Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Tags
crappy paint , jana k4 , lj , needs to go wheeling , old man emu , rubicon unlimited , savvy offroad

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.