Just another LJ build - Page 143 - JeepForum.com

 1Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #2131 of 4125 Old 11-19-2013, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden
Posts: 5,701
I guess my tonneau fabrication time is getting cut short while I am home . Kimbo took the WJ into the dealership and they told her that the WJ needed rear axle seals as they were leaking . I am thankful that I have a press and can do the job myself , but it sure isnt what I had planned for when I get home ! I guess the change in planned fabrication makes this as good a night as any for some microbrews



Time to start shopping for seals , bearings , retainers and new rear pads .


Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2132 of 4125 Old 11-19-2013, 05:16 PM
143DAD
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Springfield
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
I guess my tonneau fabrication time is getting cut short while I am home . Kimbo took the WJ into the dealership and they told her that the WJ needed rear axle seals as they were leaking . I am thankful that I have a press and can do the job myself , but it sure isnt what I had planned for when I get home ! I guess the change in planned fabrication makes this as good a night as any for some microbrews



Time to start shopping for seals , bearings , retainers and new rear pads .

Can't beat that beer from KC

Any color will do as long as its black.
143DAD is offline  
post #2133 of 4125 Old 11-19-2013, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden
Posts: 5,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by 143DAD View Post
Can't beat that beer from KC
Have you had this one ? It has a pretty good kick !

Speaking of kick , wheel bearings and seals are pricey for Kimbo's WJ

Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline  
post #2134 of 4125 Old 11-19-2013, 05:56 PM
143DAD
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Springfield
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Have you had this one ? It has a pretty good kick !

Speaking of kick , wheel bearings and seals are pricey for Kimbo's WJ
Yes I have if Boulevard makes it I've had it

I told her it was time for a 60's swap and 37"

Any color will do as long as its black.
143DAD is offline  
post #2135 of 4125 Old 11-19-2013, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden
Posts: 5,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by 143DAD View Post
Yes I have if Boulevard makes it I've had it

I told her it was time for a 60's swap and 37"
When she had it at the dealership and they told her it needed new shocks today ( in addition to the wheel bearings ) she told them that meant that I would be lifting it .

I think we were having Boulevards this summer while the kids played in Mill Creek across from Potato salad hill .

Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline  
post #2136 of 4125 Old 11-24-2013, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden
Posts: 5,701
Time for more tools ? I am trying to convince Kimbo that I need a stomp shear , especially now that I plan on making my own aluminum fenders . This one is a great deal and old American iron . Also have a few trees to cut up after the storm last night . I am still trying to make it to Uwharrie but between the trees and Kim's WJ needing a rear wheel bearing it isn't looking good . Its odd that I make it Moab more often than Uwharrie .

Attached Thumbnails
ResizedImage951384914011679.jpg  

Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline  
post #2137 of 4125 Old 11-25-2013, 07:02 AM
Sundowner
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Republic of Dave
Posts: 6,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
... especially now that I plan on making my own aluminum fenders .
You have my attention. Continue.

If it's worth doing, then it's worth overdoing.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline  
post #2138 of 4125 Old 11-25-2013, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden
Posts: 5,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
You have my attention. Continue.
The poison spider DeFenders are awesome looking , but I think I can make something similar for a lot less money . I have a four foot by five foot sheet of 3003 which will work nicely in the break and hopefully the stomp shear . I would like to get one fender complete over Christmas , hopefully my aluminum spool gun welds don't derail that goal ! I am shopping for a Tig just in case the spool gun doesn't work as well I hope it will .

Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline  
post #2139 of 4125 Old 11-25-2013, 07:32 PM
bobthetj03
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NorCal
Posts: 5,304
Sounds like it'll be a fun project!

Bob's boring build:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline  
post #2140 of 4125 Old 11-25-2013, 07:55 PM
MO2500
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 7,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley
I am shopping for a Tig just in case the spool gun doesn't work as well I hope it will .
You will find in your searching, to weld the thicker aluminum like up to 1/4" you will need a great deal more amps than you need to weld 1/4" steel and it also adds a ton of heat to the torch so a water cooler is suggested. Aluminum takes more heat (amps) to weld because it's such an effective heat sink. That's why I ended up with a Synchrowave 250dx with up to 310 amps I think and a water cooler. Things start to get pricey quick with TIG machines.

ODonnell Motorsports
Build Thread
Instagram: @omsmike
MO2500 is offline  
post #2141 of 4125 Old 11-27-2013, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden
Posts: 5,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
Sounds like it'll be a fun project!
As long as I can stick some aluminum together it will be lots of fun .
Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post
You will find in your searching, to weld the thicker aluminum like up to 1/4" you will need a great deal more amps than you need to weld 1/4" steel and it also adds a ton of heat to the torch so a water cooler is suggested. Aluminum takes more heat (amps) to weld because it's such an effective heat sink. That's why I ended up with a Synchrowave 250dx with up to 310 amps I think and a water cooler. Things start to get pricey quick with TIG machines.
Your not kidding on the Tig machines equaling money ! For now I am going to try the spool gun which is powered by the Miller 210 . I will be patient and keep an eye out for a good deal on a tig . I dont forsee welding much more than 1/8" for now , so hopefully the spool gun will work ok sticking the fenders together .

Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline  
post #2142 of 4125 Old 11-27-2013, 11:07 AM
gspup
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Demfer
Posts: 2,707
So you want an alum fender 'like' the defender...without the tube, right? Flare ? Hiline ?

Sorry if I missed all of this.

TJ build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ljs-devil-1329976/
gspup is offline  
post #2143 of 4125 Old 11-27-2013, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden
Posts: 5,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspup View Post
So you want an alum fender 'like' the defender...without the tube, right? Flare ? Hiline ?

Sorry if I missed all of this.
You didnt miss it , I just mentioned that the newly acquired break is going to make for easier fender fabrication . The design process is just starting , but I do have a few things figured out . The fender will be a mix between the MCEs and the DeFender . I think I will use a piece of aluminum box tubing for the outside edge so that it will have a nice radius . The back edge of the fender will terminate at the tub to make more room for the 35's and I am still undecided about high-lining .

Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline  
post #2144 of 4125 Old 11-28-2013, 11:21 AM
aw12345
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ontario
Posts: 7,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
As long as I can stick some aluminum together it will be lots of fun .

Your not kidding on the Tig machines equaling money ! For now I am going to try the spool gun which is powered by the Miller 210 . I will be patient and keep an eye out for a good deal on a tig . I dont forsee welding much more than 1/8" for now , so hopefully the spool gun will work ok sticking the fenders together .
t actually wants lotsw of amperage for a nice weld with a spoolgun

Spool gun makes plenty of heat. Welding aluminum it actually wants lots of amperage for a nice weld with a spoolgun. Welding thin stuff with it seems a lot harder than thicker stuff. From my experience it's easier to weld thicker material with a spoolgun than 1/8" or thinner material.
Still would love a spoolgun for some projects

Greg, Kimbo and the kids happy T day

My Tinkering and wheeling thread http://tinyurl.com/pbwdm5u
aw12345 is offline  
post #2145 of 4125 Old 11-28-2013, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden
Posts: 5,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
t actually wants lotsw of amperage for a nice weld with a spoolgun

Spool gun makes plenty of heat. Welding aluminum it actually wants lots of amperage for a nice weld with a spoolgun. Welding thin stuff with it seems a lot harder than thicker stuff. From my experience it's easier to weld thicker material with a spoolgun than 1/8" or thinner material.
Still would love a spoolgun for some projects

Greg, Kimbo and the kids happy T day
Thanks Art , Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours . I will be firing up the spool gun over Christmas , and I will post pictures of the welds up here .

Lastly Happy Thanksgiving to the rest of y'all , hope you had a good day with your friends and family .

Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline  
Reply

Tags
crappy paint , jana k4 , jeep-owner.com , needs to go wheeling , old man emu , rubicon unlimited , savvy offroad

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Jeep Build: Minty White Country XJ Build GTEIS300 Jeep Builds 34 01-20-2013 10:42 AM
2000 TJ Build - LCG First Time Build japete01 Jeep Builds 82 06-07-2012 09:50 PM
my build up 98 TJ frumpy Jeep Builds 34 10-05-2011 10:17 PM
my 2.5 build up Sh4dowRac3r Jeep Builds 24 02-13-2008 10:41 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome