Just another LJ build - Page 141 - JeepForum.com

 1Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #2101 of 4125 Old 11-11-2013, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden
Posts: 5,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by jforse View Post
It's not even cold yet.
I know But its cold to me !
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Snow wheelin, ya got to live a lil Greg
The festiva wouldn't make it to far off the pavement . I have snow wheeled a few times but its not something we get to do often .


Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2102 of 4125 Old 11-13-2013, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden
Posts: 5,701
I have everything for the rear shock outboard except for the upper spring perches . Nate moved his stock ones and they look great , but I am not sure that I have the patience to go that
route . The Rokmen setup looks nice , but I am open to suggestions . What would you use if you couldn't reuse your stock upper perches ?

Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline  
post #2103 of 4125 Old 11-13-2013, 08:36 PM
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..
 
gst95dsm's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 4,361
gst95dsm is offline  
post #2104 of 4125 Old 11-13-2013, 08:40 PM
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..
 
gst95dsm's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 4,361
But I'm telling you... they come off really quite easy after you drop your tank. The Barnes would be cool though and if I knew then (fab wise) what I know now, I may have gone the Barnes route just for cool points.
gst95dsm is offline  
post #2105 of 4125 Old 11-13-2013, 08:40 PM
MO2500
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 7,190
All the aftermarket versions look like they sit off the frame too much. I re-used the factory perch and even trimmed them so they would sit up as high and tight to the frame as I could get them. I thought it was relatively easy to cut the factory welds on the outside and then just hammered them back and forth until the welds on the inside broke free.

ODonnell Motorsports
Build Thread
Instagram: @omsmike
MO2500 is offline  
post #2106 of 4125 Old 11-13-2013, 08:53 PM
jforse
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Duluth
Posts: 2,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post
All the aftermarket versions look like they sit off the frame too much. I re-used the factory perch and even trimmed them so they would sit up as high and tight to the frame as I could get them. I thought it was relatively easy to cut the factory welds on the outside and then just hammered them back and forth until the welds on the inside broke free.

Everyone that I have seen locally has done this. Just reuse whats there as long as its not corroded.

1997 TJ - Build in process.
2004 WJ Freedom Edition 4.7HO
jforse is offline  
post #2107 of 4125 Old 11-14-2013, 07:22 AM
AngryTJ
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,468
I agree with Mike that a lot of the aftermarket perches come off the frame too much and will make your *** sit high up in the air. When originally relocating mine I did the following,

Before:


After:




If you cut the bracket off entirely and tuck it like I did you wont have to worry about spring height and your rig will continue to sit level

Follow me on Instagram @ Tarantula_TJ


Tarantula_TJ Build
AngryTJ is offline  
post #2108 of 4125 Old 11-14-2013, 07:32 AM
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013
 
Hendrix's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: FT Myers
Posts: 4,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley
I have everything for the rear shock outboard except for the upper spring perches . Nate moved his stock ones and they look great , but I am not sure that I have the patience to go that route . The Rokmen setup looks nice , but I am open to suggestions . What would you use if you couldn't reuse your stock upper perches ?
It takes no time at all to move the stock ones. I cut the frame bracket off the stock disk and made new plates to attach the spring plate to the frame on Flop. I will see if I can find pictures.
Hendrix is offline  
post #2109 of 4125 Old 11-14-2013, 09:29 AM
gspup
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Demfer
Posts: 2,707
Hey man.

Just something I thought may catch your interest...I'm currently building a trailer frame setup with trailing arm suspension which will hopefully be done for my trip EJS then I'm just gonna slap my black tub on the new frame. I'm really interested in how the ride will compare and frankly I'm not sure all the work is gonna make much of a difference. But I just gotta find out for myself.

Have you researched that suspension setup at all...any thoughts ?

TJ build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ljs-devil-1329976/
gspup is offline  
post #2110 of 4125 Old 11-14-2013, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden
Posts: 5,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
But I'm telling you... they come off really quite easy after you drop your tank. The Barnes would be cool though and if I knew then (fab wise) what I know now, I may have gone the Barnes route just for cool points.
After looking at your pictures and Lu's below , I think the fact that the factory ones sit so close with a little trimming makes them a viable candidate .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post
All the aftermarket versions look like they sit off the frame too much. I re-used the factory perch and even trimmed them so they would sit up as high and tight to the frame as I could get them. I thought it was relatively easy to cut the factory welds on the outside and then just hammered them back and forth until the welds on the inside broke free.
I can handle some hammer time as I dont mind cutting the outside welds, but I dreaded the inside welds .
Quote:
Originally Posted by jforse View Post
Everyone that I have seen locally has done this. Just reuse whats there as long as its not corroded.
I am getting the picture ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
I agree with Mike that a lot of the aftermarket perches come off the frame too much and will make your *** sit high up in the air. When originally relocating mine I did the following,

Before:


After:




If you cut the bracket off entirely and tuck it like I did you wont have to worry about spring height and your rig will continue to sit level
I like that it will sit level , thanks for the pics Lu .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
It takes no time at all to move the stock ones. I cut the frame bracket off the stock disk and made new plates to attach the spring plate to the frame on Flop. I will see if I can find pictures.
Post up if you find them . Did they stay tight to the frame like Lu's did ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspup View Post
Hey man.

Just something I thought may catch your interest...I'm currently building a trailer frame setup with trailing arm suspension which will hopefully be done for my trip EJS then I'm just gonna slap my black tub on the new frame. I'm really interested in how the ride will compare and frankly I'm not sure all the work is gonna make much of a difference. But I just gotta find out for myself.

Have you researched that suspension setup at all...any thoughts ?
When I first started building my trailer I looked at ( I think ) sierra treks trailers as they used air bagged trailing arms . I really like the clearance you gained in the middle , but in the end the added complexity steered me towards a traditional axle . I will keep an eye on your thread for the updates on the new frame buildup .

Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline  
post #2111 of 4125 Old 11-16-2013, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden
Posts: 5,701
Aluminum tonneau is bent up and ready for Kimbo to go pick up . Let me tell you , she is all kinds of excited to go get it

On a different note I am going to lift my seats over Thanksgiving . I am 6'2" and I find myself stretching to see sometimes , so I am adding an inch square stock
under the seat brackets .

Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline  
post #2112 of 4125 Old 11-16-2013, 06:00 PM
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013
 
Hendrix's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: FT Myers
Posts: 4,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley
Aluminum tonneau is bent up and ready for Kimbo to go pick up . Let me tell you , she is all kinds of excited to go get it On a different note I am going to lift my seats over Thanksgiving . I am 6'2" and I find myself stretching to see sometimes , so I am adding an inch square stock under the seat brackets .
What do the bend? The sides over at a 90? Then you will do the corners.
Hendrix is offline  
post #2113 of 4125 Old 11-16-2013, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden
Posts: 5,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
What do the bend? The sides over at a 90? Then you will do the corners.
Yep , its a giant pan with four flanges . I plan on tracing the radius out underneath and cutting out all four corners . Once its all fitted I will roll four matching corner flanges and then spool gun them in place .

Being as you are the color king , any ideas on painting it ? I like the idea of matching my hood , but white with a black pinstripe would keep it cool inside and sort of tie in . I so wish I had photo chop skills sometimes .

Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline  
post #2114 of 4125 Old 11-16-2013, 06:21 PM
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013
 
Hendrix's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: FT Myers
Posts: 4,866
Just drag it out with the Jeep next year, I will hook it up how ever you want. No additional charge.
Hendrix is offline  
post #2115 of 4125 Old 11-16-2013, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden
Posts: 5,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
Just drag it out with the Jeep next year, I will hook it up how ever you want. No additional charge.
Giggity !

Still unsure of the color and open to suggestions ...

Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline  
Reply

Tags
crappy paint , jana k4 , jeep-owner.com , needs to go wheeling , old man emu , rubicon unlimited , savvy offroad

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Jeep Build: Minty White Country XJ Build GTEIS300 Jeep Builds 34 01-20-2013 10:42 AM
2000 TJ Build - LCG First Time Build japete01 Jeep Builds 82 06-07-2012 09:50 PM
my build up 98 TJ frumpy Jeep Builds 34 10-05-2011 10:17 PM
my 2.5 build up Sh4dowRac3r Jeep Builds 24 02-13-2008 10:41 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome