Just another LJ build - Page 141 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Just another LJ build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 11-11-2013, 07:36 PM   #2101
G Beasley
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jforse View Post
It's not even cold yet.
I know But its cold to me !
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Snow wheelin, ya got to live a lil Greg
The festiva wouldn't make it to far off the pavement . I have snow wheeled a few times but its not something we get to do often .

Unread 11-13-2013, 09:34 PM   #2102
G Beasley
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have everything for the rear shock outboard except for the upper spring perches . Nate moved his stock ones and they look great , but I am not sure that I have the patience to go that
route . The Rokmen setup looks nice , but I am open to suggestions . What would you use if you couldn't reuse your stock upper perches ?
Unread 11-13-2013, 09:36 PM   #2103
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

These would be clean....

http://www.barnes4wd.com/Coil-Spring...ame_p_277.html

Unread 11-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #2104
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

But I'm telling you... they come off really quite easy after you drop your tank. The Barnes would be cool though and if I knew then (fab wise) what I know now, I may have gone the Barnes route just for cool points.
Unread 11-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #2105
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

All the aftermarket versions look like they sit off the frame too much. I re-used the factory perch and even trimmed them so they would sit up as high and tight to the frame as I could get them. I thought it was relatively easy to cut the factory welds on the outside and then just hammered them back and forth until the welds on the inside broke free.
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2013, 09:53 PM   #2106
jforse
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post
All the aftermarket versions look like they sit off the frame too much. I re-used the factory perch and even trimmed them so they would sit up as high and tight to the frame as I could get them. I thought it was relatively easy to cut the factory welds on the outside and then just hammered them back and forth until the welds on the inside broke free.

Everyone that I have seen locally has done this. Just reuse whats there as long as its not corroded.
Unread 11-14-2013, 08:22 AM   #2107
AngryTJ
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I agree with Mike that a lot of the aftermarket perches come off the frame too much and will make your *** sit high up in the air. When originally relocating mine I did the following,

Before:

After:

If you cut the bracket off entirely and tuck it like I did you wont have to worry about spring height and your rig will continue to sit level

Tarantula_TJ Build

2015 Colorado Trip
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 08:32 AM   #2108
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley
I have everything for the rear shock outboard except for the upper spring perches . Nate moved his stock ones and they look great , but I am not sure that I have the patience to go that route . The Rokmen setup looks nice , but I am open to suggestions . What would you use if you couldn't reuse your stock upper perches ?
It takes no time at all to move the stock ones. I cut the frame bracket off the stock disk and made new plates to attach the spring plate to the frame on Flop. I will see if I can find pictures.
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 10:29 AM   #2109
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Hey man.

Just something I thought may catch your interest...I'm currently building a trailer frame setup with trailing arm suspension which will hopefully be done for my trip EJS then I'm just gonna slap my black tub on the new frame. I'm really interested in how the ride will compare and frankly I'm not sure all the work is gonna make much of a difference. But I just gotta find out for myself.

Have you researched that suspension setup at all...any thoughts ?
Unread 11-14-2013, 07:01 PM   #2110
G Beasley
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
But I'm telling you... they come off really quite easy after you drop your tank. The Barnes would be cool though and if I knew then (fab wise) what I know now, I may have gone the Barnes route just for cool points.
After looking at your pictures and Lu's below , I think the fact that the factory ones sit so close with a little trimming makes them a viable candidate .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post
I can handle some hammer time as I dont mind cutting the outside welds, but I dreaded the inside welds .
Quote:
Originally Posted by jforse View Post
Everyone that I have seen locally has done this. Just reuse whats there as long as its not corroded.
I am getting the picture ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
I agree with Mike that a lot of the aftermarket perches come off the frame too much and will make your *** sit high up in the air. When originally relocating mine I did the following,

Before:

After:

If you cut the bracket off entirely and tuck it like I did you wont have to worry about spring height and your rig will continue to sit level
I like that it will sit level , thanks for the pics Lu .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
It takes no time at all to move the stock ones. I cut the frame bracket off the stock disk and made new plates to attach the spring plate to the frame on Flop. I will see if I can find pictures.
Post up if you find them . Did they stay tight to the frame like Lu's did ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspup View Post
Hey man.

Just something I thought may catch your interest...I'm currently building a trailer frame setup with trailing arm suspension which will hopefully be done for my trip EJS then I'm just gonna slap my black tub on the new frame. I'm really interested in how the ride will compare and frankly I'm not sure all the work is gonna make much of a difference. But I just gotta find out for myself.

Have you researched that suspension setup at all...any thoughts ?
When I first started building my trailer I looked at ( I think ) sierra treks trailers as they used air bagged trailing arms . I really like the clearance you gained in the middle , but in the end the added complexity steered me towards a traditional axle . I will keep an eye on your thread for the updates on the new frame buildup .
Unread 11-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #2111
G Beasley
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Aluminum tonneau is bent up and ready for Kimbo to go pick up . Let me tell you , she is all kinds of excited to go get it

On a different note I am going to lift my seats over Thanksgiving . I am 6'2" and I find myself stretching to see sometimes , so I am adding an inch square stock
under the seat brackets .
Unread 11-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #2112
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley
Aluminum tonneau is bent up and ready for Kimbo to go pick up . Let me tell you , she is all kinds of excited to go get it On a different note I am going to lift my seats over Thanksgiving . I am 6'2" and I find myself stretching to see sometimes , so I am adding an inch square stock under the seat brackets .
What do the bend? The sides over at a 90? Then you will do the corners.
Unread 11-16-2013, 07:08 PM   #2113
G Beasley
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What do the bend? The sides over at a 90? Then you will do the corners.
Yep , its a giant pan with four flanges . I plan on tracing the radius out underneath and cutting out all four corners . Once its all fitted I will roll four matching corner flanges and then spool gun them in place .

Being as you are the color king , any ideas on painting it ? I like the idea of matching my hood , but white with a black pinstripe would keep it cool inside and sort of tie in . I so wish I had photo chop skills sometimes .
Unread 11-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #2114
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Just drag it out with the Jeep next year, I will hook it up how ever you want. No additional charge.
Unread 11-16-2013, 07:37 PM   #2115
G Beasley
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Just drag it out with the Jeep next year, I will hook it up how ever you want. No additional charge.
Giggity !

Still unsure of the color and open to suggestions ...

Tags
crappy paint , jana k4 , lj , needs to go wheeling , old man emu , rubicon unlimited , savvy offroad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.