Just another LJ build - Page 130 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Just another LJ build

Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Reply
Unread 10-06-2013, 10:07 PM   #1936
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..
 
gst95dsm's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 4,268
Ok after these photos and reading what you guys are saying and really looking at it.... I'm out! No way that would be worth the effort unless you were also looking at stretching the front in some way. More power to ya though Beasley!

__________________
My Build Thread
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2013, 11:26 PM   #1937
kyle_craig
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: White Bear Laaake, Minnesooota
Posts: 2,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Have you seen anyone cut the cross tube and plate it ? I basically want to make a D shape out of it.
This is something that has been in my mind for a while...with 1.5" cut out of the frame, the axle pushed forward a hair, and a slightly larger tire, it might just be worthwhile. Just a lot of work for a little gain. It would be a neat mod though. My main concern is packaging a winch.
kyle_craig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 11:08 PM   #1938
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden, NC
Posts: 5,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
It's actually 1.75 tubing but it's also a thinner wall. They sell the bushings and the precut tube.
I have plenty of 1.75 DOM at the house , and I think I can turn down the frame bushings .
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Anyway if you look at this pic and where the front of the steering box mount and or steering box ends will be your most forward point of what you can lob of the frame

[/URL]
Looks like somewhere between 1.5" and 2" can be gained .
Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Man I really thought the front frame stuck out further beyond that cross tube. Their really isn't much to be gained without getting rid of it. I think running a bumper no wider than the frame rails is also a viable way to increase approach.... were not always hitting obstacles square.
I am not looking for a ton of room , but every little bit helps . It looks like this can be as easy or difficult as you want it to be depending on how much room you try to gain .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
I guessed somewhere around 2", with the steering box mount being the rearmost extent of easy cutting, and that's assuming I found a way to move the Antirock mounts rearwards; the tube is a good solution. What's the easiest way to handle the grill's body mount tab if one is keeping it in place?
I think I will make two tabs on the side to locate the grille as I think the frame chopping will require the winch to be sunk in and the center mount would be in the way .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
Agreed, you can only go back to the slope of the steering skid before you run into a big problem, but it's about 1.5 " from the front edge of the bumper.
1.5" off the front and another 1/2" of wheelbase from turning out the arms would be a nice gain .
Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Ok after these photos and reading what you guys are saying and really looking at it.... I'm out! No way that would be worth the effort unless you were also looking at stretching the front in some way. More power to ya though Beasley!
After chopping the rear of your frame this is easy Nate !
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_craig View Post
This is something that has been in my mind for a while...with 1.5" cut out of the frame, the axle pushed forward a hair, and a slightly larger tire, it might just be worthwhile. Just a lot of work for a little gain. It would be a neat mod though. My main concern is packaging a winch.
Other than sinking the winch into the grille , I don't think this will be a difficult mod . After the outboard takes place , I think I will give it a try .
__________________
Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 11:16 PM   #1939
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..
 
gst95dsm's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 4,268
You lead the way on this one buddy.
__________________
My Build Thread
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #1940
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler
 
bobthetj03's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lake County, Ca.
Posts: 4,967
__________________
Bob's boring build:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #1941
gspup
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Demfer, CO
Posts: 2,615
My thoughts...

I like the bumper protruding just a bit, as little as possible though. I built a bumper from my winch plate the is flush with the frame. My bumper usually takes the heaviest hits, just before the steering box skid. It's alot of work to basically put the steering box closer to the rocks all while keeping it in harms way. It would be a different story if you were gonna relocate it altogether. I have one trail with a skid on my box and most the paint is already gone.

But I'd like to see the result for sure...bet it will look great and honestly you probably wont have any breakage with a beefy skid on there.
__________________
TJ build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ljs-devil-1329976/
gspup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2013, 05:01 PM   #1942
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden, NC
Posts: 5,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
You lead the way on this one buddy.
What ? Nate get to work mister , I like instructions
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
Yes I can be a little nuts sometimes ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspup View Post
My thoughts...

I like the bumper protruding just a bit, as little as possible though. I built a bumper from my winch plate the is flush with the frame. My bumper usually takes the heaviest hits, just before the steering box skid. It's alot of work to basically put the steering box closer to the rocks all while keeping it in harms way. It would be a different story if you were gonna relocate it altogether. I have one trail with a skid on my box and most the paint is already gone.

But I'd like to see the result for sure...bet it will look great and honestly you probably wont have any breakage with a beefy skid on there.
The steering gear box will get a skid , that will most likely have a piece of my newly acquired sheet of UMHW on it . Though I havent really considered the steering box's newly found exposure as much as I should have ... valid point for sure .
__________________
Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2013, 09:41 PM   #1943
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ontario, Cali
Posts: 6,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
What ? Nate get to work mister , I like instructions

Yes I can be a little nuts sometimes ...

The steering gear box will get a skid , that will most likely have a piece of my newly acquired sheet of UMHW on it . Though I havent really considered the steering box's newly found exposure as much as I should have ... valid point for sure .
Tis is about as beefy as you can make a steering box skit, it has been thoroughly bashed and beaten has survived 5 feet drops straight on a rock.

__________________
My Tinkering and wheeling thread http://tinyurl.com/pbwdm5u
aw12345 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2013, 06:49 PM   #1944
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden, NC
Posts: 5,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Tis is about as beefy as you can make a steering box skit, it has been thoroughly bashed and beaten has survived 5 feet drops straight on a rock.

Can I get a discount to UPS my rig out to you for some fabbing / wheeling ?



Lu's latest video from our summer trip .

One last thing ... I am picking up some soft doors on the way home . I wont be selling this set as they are new !
__________________
Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2013, 09:47 PM   #1945
locrwln
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Reno, Nevada
Posts: 165
Go to Grimjeeper's page and plug in your numbers (he has all of the driveline and tire choices available) and you will amazed at what you can run for gearing and it be a minor change in your highway RPM's. I would recommend 5.13's for 35's towing your trailer.

http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

There is a 109 RPM difference at 65 mph between 4.88's and 5.13's (2132 vs. 2241) with 35's.

Jack
__________________
2006 LJ Rubicon
locrwln is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2013, 10:52 PM   #1946
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ontario, Cali
Posts: 6,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Can I get a discount to UPS my rig out to you for some fabbing / wheeling ?



Lu's latest video from our summer trip .

One last thing ... I am picking up some soft doors on the way home . I wont be selling this set as they are new !
Greg your pretty Jeep would change shape quickly when it hangs around these parts for awhile
__________________
My Tinkering and wheeling thread http://tinyurl.com/pbwdm5u
aw12345 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2013, 07:49 PM   #1947
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden, NC
Posts: 5,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by locrwln View Post
Go to Grimjeeper's page and plug in your numbers (he has all of the driveline and tire choices available) and you will amazed at what you can run for gearing and it be a minor change in your highway RPM's. I would recommend 5.13's for 35's towing your trailer.

http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html


There is a 109 RPM difference at 65 mph between 4.88's and 5.13's (2132 vs. 2241) with 35's.

Jack
I had used his site before , but never realized that you could do two at once...Doh ! Thanks for point that out . Heck for the 109 rpms I could just run a little slower . When your driving 2500 miles in a Jeep your certainly not in a hurry and I think the deeper gearing is going to make the Rockies a lot more pleasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Greg your pretty Jeep would change shape quickly when it hangs around these parts for awhile
Its about to get prettier , maybe I will keep it away from you for a while
__________________
Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2013, 08:19 PM   #1948
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden, NC
Posts: 5,509


Soft doors acquired ...
__________________
Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2013, 10:07 PM   #1949
dayriesw
Web Wheeler
 
dayriesw's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 5,446
They are the best.
__________________
'85 CJ-7 Renegade - sold
'79 FSJ Cherokee Chief - sold
'05 LJ "IMPACT" - bought in LA, current DD on 37s
'87 MJ Comanche Chief - found in a field, now yard art
dayriesw is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2013, 11:33 PM   #1950
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..
 
gst95dsm's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 4,268
Ok I'll be the first to ask I guess....... WHY are you repainting your entire Jeep???? I've seen it, looked clean to me! Building a show rig??? Or is Hendrix's work that magical that you just can't resist? It does look damn good in the photos.
__________________
My Build Thread
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Tags
crappy paint , jana k4 , lj , needs to go wheeling , old man emu , rubicon unlimited , savvy offroad

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.