Just another LJ build - Page 129 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Just another LJ build

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDThe NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.com

Unread 10-06-2013, 07:34 PM   #1921
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

One last thing ... I ordered some tires . Ouch

bfgs.jpg

Unread 10-06-2013, 07:40 PM   #1922
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Not sure if I am going to pursue this or not , after talking to Hendrix I am considering notching my grille and sliding the winch back . This would allow me to trim the frame back the sway bar cross tube , and that would probably give me the little bit of clearance I need .
Exsqueeze me? Baking powder? Come again? Why am I only just now hearing about this, and what's it going to take to do it cleanly?

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2013, 07:48 PM   #1923
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Exsqueeze me? Baking powder? Come again? Why am I only just now hearing about this, and what's it going to take to do it cleanly?
I cant tell you all my secrets

Truthfully I am not sure how much material can be removed until I remove the bumper . I have thought about trimming the cross tube and plating the front as the sway bar's o.d. is smaller than the i.d. of the cross tube . This is just the talking out loud stage as I figure out what I want to do up front . What started this conversation was my lust to have the front tires stick just past the bumper so that the tires hit the ledges before the bumper . Hendrix thought I was nuts for wanting to move the steering box and suggested this route which could possibly be an easier way of accomplishing the task .
Unread 10-06-2013, 08:26 PM   #1924
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Do both, the frame sticks about 1/2" in front of the tube that the anti rock resides inIf you hack everything in front of the steering box mount of you would gain roughly 2" which is not enough to get the tires even with the front. So you would still have to push the axle forward. Bigger tires help the equation also

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/february-tj-month-contest-submit-now-2061065/
aw12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #1925
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Truthfully I am not sure how much material can be removed until I remove the bumper . I have thought about trimming the cross tube and plating the front as the sway bar's o.d. is smaller than the i.d. of the cross tube . This is just the talking out loud stage as I figure out what I want to do up front . What started this conversation was my lust to have the front tires stick just past the bumper so that the tires hit the ledges before the bumper . Hendrix thought I was nuts for wanting to move the steering box and suggested this route which could possibly be an easier way of accomplishing the task .
Well, he's right; I was looking at the UCF Rock Crawler bumper as an alternative for a front crossmember and figured out that it's more trouble than it's worth if you're keeping any kind of swaybar and conventional steering. I don't think you'll get more than an inch or so before you run out of space and get into severe crossmember and steering alterations...but if that's what you want to do, more power to you. It's odd that we were looking at the same areas at the same time, not having discussed it.

Unread 10-06-2013, 08:37 PM   #1926
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

quit farting around and just do this, if that is what you are after.
Even with a 5" front stretch you barely get the tires even with the front. To do that and be able to get enough up travel to my liking the Steering box had to go all the way to the front. Frame had to be straightened to get room for uptravel. Front got bobbed a lil, winch sits almost in the grille.

Unread 10-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #1927
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Do both, the frame sticks about 1/2" in front of the tube that the anti rock resides inIf you hack everything in front of the steering box mount of you would gain roughly 2" which is not enough to get the tires even with the front. So you would still have to push the axle forward. Bigger tires help the equation also
35's and some cutting should make for a much better approach than I have now . Have you seen anyone cut the cross tube and plate it ? I basically want to make a D shape out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Well, he's right; I was looking at the UCF Rock Crawler bumper as an alternative for a front crossmember and figured out that it's more trouble than it's worth if you're keeping any kind of swaybar and conventional steering. I don't think you'll get more than an inch or so before you run out of space and get into severe crossmember and steering alterations...but if that's what you want to do, more power to you. It's odd that we were looking at the same areas at the same time, not having discussed it.
The Currie steering and swaybar is staying , but I think a D shaped crosstube is in the near future . It is funny that were both looking at bobbing the front a little .

Quote:
quit farting around and just do this, if that is what you are after.
Even with a 5" front stretch you barely get the tires even with the front. To do that and be able to get enough up travel to my liking the Steering box had to go all the way to the front. Frame had to be straightened to get room for uptravel. Front got bobbed a lil, winch sits almost in the grille.

I have considered an FJ60 steering gear box , but I have to be careful to not end up with a rig I dont enjoy driving on the road . I dont want to chop the frame and straighten it , so I guess I will have to be happy with what I can gain by trimming back to the cross tube .
Unread 10-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #1928
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

That's a good deal on those tires Beasley. It's funny reading that front end talk also...... I too am thinking about how to suck that bumper in as close as possible now that I'm not using the stock sway bar. And you know I'm down for some choppin.....
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2013, 08:49 PM   #1929
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

You can cut the tube out just use a piece of 1.5" tubing for the anti rock that's what their smaller bushings for the rear antirock take.
That will gain you about 1.5" at best.

There isn't a lot of room to gain without doing a lot of work

I would just lob the that tube off and just weld a 2x3 piece of rectangular tube in it's place and skip the bumper all together. Run the anti rock through it and be done. You cut the grille to recess the winch then you can cut the frame to the front of the steering box mount and then weld in a new crossmember. That will be as close as you can possibly make it

Unread 10-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #1930
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
That's a good deal on those tires Beasley. It's funny reading that front end talk also...... I too am thinking about how to suck that bumper in as close as possible now that I'm not using the stock sway bar. And you know I'm down for some choppin.....
Even at a good deal it was painful to spend , I pick the oddest things to be cheap over . And chopping is a good thing
Quote:
You can cut the tube out just use a piece of 1.5" tubing for the anti rock that's what their smaller bushings for the rear antirock take.
That will gain you about 1.5" at best.

There isn't a lot of room to gain without doing a lot of work

[/URL][URL=http://s911.photobucket.com/user/jhendrix05/media/006_zps25ad5570.jpg.html]
The smaller bushings and 1.5" tubing is genius ! Thanks Art .
Unread 10-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #1931
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley
Even at a good deal it was painful to spend , I pick the oddest things to be cheap over . And chopping is a good thing The smaller bushings and 1.5" tubing is genius ! Thanks Art .

It's actually 1.75 tubing but it's also a thinner wall. They sell the bushings and the precut tube.
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2013, 08:59 PM   #1932
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Even at a good deal it was painful to spend , I pick the oddest things to be cheap over . And chopping is a good thing

The smaller bushings and 1.5" tubing is genius ! Thanks Art .
Anyway if you look at this pic and where the front of the steering box mount and or steering box ends will be your most forward point of what you can lob of the frame

[/URL]

Unread 10-06-2013, 09:01 PM   #1933
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Man I really thought the front frame stuck out further beyond that cross tube. Their really isn't much to be gained without getting rid of it. I think running a bumper no wider than the frame rails is also a viable way to increase approach.... were not always hitting obstacles square.
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2013, 09:02 PM   #1934
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You can cut the tube out just use a piece of 1.5" tubing for the anti rock that's what their smaller bushings for the rear antirock take. That will gain you about 1.5" at best. There isn't a lot of room to gain without doing a lot of work...

I would just lob the that tube off and just weld a 2x3 piece of rectangular tube in it's place and skip the bumper all together. Run the anti rock through it and be done. You cut the grille to recess the winch then you can cut the frame to the front of the steering box mount and then weld in a new crossmember. That will be as close as you can possibly make it
I guessed somewhere around 2", with the steering box mount being the rearmost extent of easy cutting, and that's assuming I found a way to move the Antirock mounts rearwards; the tube is a good solution. What's the easiest way to handle the grill's body mount tab if one is keeping it in place?

Unread 10-06-2013, 09:02 PM   #1935
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345
Anyway if you look at this pic and where the front of the steering box mount and or steering box ends will be your most forward point of what you can lob of the frame [/URL]
Agreed, you can only go back to the slope of the steering skid before you run into a big problem, but it's about 1.5 " from the front edge of the bumper.
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crappy paint , jana k4 , lj , needs to go wheeling , old man emu , rubicon unlimited , savvy offroad

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.