Just another LJ build - Page 127 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Just another LJ build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 09-28-2013, 10:45 PM   #1891
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Respect. Peace and love Greg.

Unread 09-29-2013, 08:30 AM   #1892
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspup View Post
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 12:19 PM   #1893
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post
5.13's just seem deep for the highway for long periods even though the difference is only a couple hundred RPM's. When I was on 32's with 4.10s it had good power and I'm sure with a trailer it would have towed just fine. I think 4.88's are more for me.
I am not 100% on the 4.88s or the 5.12s , but I think the 4.88s would be fine except for when I am towing in the mountains .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post
Cool thanks! I might take you up on that. Would you happen to know the page number where the hitch build is?
I dont , but I will check and see for you . If you decide you want the knuckle let me know .

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
5.13s..... Like moab said, that is deep for your road trips. I dont know if you watch the UA trips, but Chris Durham (i think two years ago) drove his v8 equipped Willys TJ from NC to Wash state. He swapped in 4.10 for the road and swapped back to wheel. That would not be an option for most people but it does give you/me something to thing about.

The CJ that I have been thinking about building for way to long will be a long hauler/wheeler-(drive there and back/no trailer). I plan on a d60/14b with 4.56 (cucv style) with a 5:1 tcase or doubler tcase. I know that is more than you are thinking about now, but it is another way to go about good offroad gearing while saving a bit of the gas gussling. Just my 1.5 cents.
I would rather have a little too much gear than not enough as I dont drive that fast . I really only want to regear once , so theres still some thinking to do . Theres no way I would want to swap gears to drive , if you had the space an overdrive would be nice .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Always. I could use a fab project right about now.
Good , I like how yours turned out and theres no reason to reinvent the wheel .
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspup View Post
Thanks Mike ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
Thanks John .

Yesterday at 11am my dad passed away . Thankfully I was able to make it home and spend a few days with him before he passed . He loved building boats and Ford trucks , so I guess I got this hobby honestly . He went so fast that its still all a blur , almost doesnt feel real . If you can give your pop a hug , while you still can .
Unread 09-29-2013, 12:27 PM   #1894
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
I am not 100% on the 4.88s or the 5.12s , but I think the 4.88s would be fine except for when I am towing in the mountains .
I dont , but I will check and see for you . If you decide you want the knuckle let me know .

I would rather have a little too much gear than not enough as I dont drive that fast . I really only want to regear once , so theres still some thinking to do . Theres no way I would want to swap gears to drive , if you had the space an overdrive would be nice .

Good , I like how yours turned out and theres no reason to reinvent the wheel .

Thanks Mike ...

Thanks John .

Yesterday at 11am my dad passed away . Thankfully I was able to make it home and spend a few days with him before he passed . He loved building boats and Ford trucks , so I guess I got this hobby honestly . He went so fast that its still all a blur , almost doesnt feel real . If you can give your pop a hug , while you still can .

My condolences to you and Kimbo and the rest of the family Greg , for the passing of your father
Unread 09-30-2013, 10:19 AM   #1895
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
My condolences to you and Kimbo and the rest of the family Greg , for the passing of your father
Thanks Art , it has been a rough few days but we have most everything taken care of now . I was lucky and got to spend a lot of time with him as an adult , and we also got to take a lot of trips out West . I miss him , but I am thankful that he isnt in pain anymore .

I am headed back to TN tomorrow and will bring the tub home at the end of the week . I also need to order tires , but I am still holding out for a better deal .
Unread 09-30-2013, 01:04 PM   #1896
yellow_snocone
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I sorry to hear of your lost Greg.

Chester TJ build

2014 JF RUBICON TRIP
yellow_snocone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 01:06 PM   #1897
Jeepham2010

Geat build!
Jeepham2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 01:29 PM   #1898
OkLaHoMaTJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I would rather have a little too much gear than not enough as I dont drive that fast . I really only want to regear once , so theres still some thinking to do . Theres no way I would want to swap gears to drive , if you had the space an overdrive would be nice.
I'm on the same page here...but with 37's in the future and speeds well below 75mph...I think 5.13's is the way to go.
Unread 09-30-2013, 02:50 PM   #1899
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkLaHoMaTJ View Post
I'm on the same page here...but with 37's in the future and speeds well below 75mph...I think 5.13's is the way to go.
37's and 5.38 is a sweet marriage, unless all you do is run flat land
Unread 09-30-2013, 04:33 PM   #1900
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow_snocone View Post
I sorry to hear of your lost Greg.
Thanks Kyle , its been a rough few days but its getting better .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepham2010 View Post
Geat build!
Thanks , if you see me around feel free to come over and talk jeep .
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkLaHoMaTJ View Post
Its a funny thing how such a small numerical difference in gearing makes such a big difference in the driveability .

Quote:
37's and 5.38 is a sweet marriage, unless all you do is run flat land
As much experience as you have with gearing do you think the 4.88s or 5.13s would work better for me and the cross country trailer dragging ?

Last but not least Hendrix has everything painted and lined . I plan on picking it up this week and getting it home . I have to go to NYC for a few weeks and then I will get back to putting the trailer back together .
Unread 09-30-2013, 06:13 PM   #1901
84jeepcj7rock

I run 37s with 4.88 gears and I wouldn't want to go any lower for highway driving. I have an AMC 360 and a T5 tranny which has an overdrive 5th gear. At 70mph, I'm turning 2100 RPM
84jeepcj7rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 07:25 PM   #1902
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Just put my camera in the car, I will have better than Instagram photos tomorrow. Unless you are coming to see it in person soon?
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 09:42 PM   #1903
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84jeepcj7rock View Post
I run 37s with 4.88 gears and I wouldn't want to go any lower for highway driving. I have an AMC 360 and a T5 tranny which has an overdrive 5th gear. At 70mph, I'm turning 2100 RPM
V8 or straight 6 are very different animals. Tj with 35's and 4.88's is a sweet setup, TJ with 37's and 5.38 gears work out exactly the same gearing wise
Unread 09-30-2013, 09:49 PM   #1904
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Last but not least Hendrix has everything painted and lined . I plan on picking it up this week and getting it home .
Incredible. Looks amazing.
kyle_craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 08:26 PM   #1905
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
Just put my camera in the car, I will have better than Instagram photos tomorrow. Unless you are coming to see it in person soon?
Totally missed this , I will be there Friday at lunch .
Quote:
V8 or straight 6 are very different animals. Tj with 35's and 4.88's is a sweet setup, TJ with 37's and 5.38 gears work out exactly the same gearing wise
So with the trailer the 4.88s would be a safe call on 35s correct ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_craig View Post
Incredible. Looks amazing.
Hendrix sent what he calls glamour shots ... I am uploading them now

Tags
crappy paint , jana k4 , lj , needs to go wheeling , old man emu , rubicon unlimited , savvy offroad

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.