Just another LJ build - Page 126 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Just another LJ build

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 09-25-2013, 09:17 PM   #1876
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Man that looks great! Don't scratch it! Hey I know this what covered somewhere but what kind of hitch do you use? I might be picking up a military trailer and was looking at different hitches like the Lock N Roll.

Moabrubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2013, 09:47 PM   #1877
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post
Man that looks great! Don't scratch it! Hey I know this what covered somewhere but what kind of hitch do you use? I might be picking up a military trailer and was looking at different hitches like the Lock N Roll.
This trailer will be full of camping gear as soon as I finish the tonneau . So at some point it will get scratched and I will have a moment of silence ! The hitch was designed by GSPUP aka Mike from Ruger Trailers .He sells them if you want to buy one ,but I dont think he minds others using the design as long as you dont try to sell them. I am sure he will chime in here in a bit .
Unread 09-25-2013, 10:02 PM   #1878
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
This trailer will be full of camping gear as soon as I finish the tonneau . So at some point it will get scratched and I will have a moment of silence ! The hitch was designed by GSPUP aka Mike from Ruger Trailers .He sells them if you want to buy one ,but I dont think he minds others using the design as long as you dont try to sell them. I am sure he will chime in here in a bit .
Cool thanks for the info. Hopefully I pick this thing up, should be sweet for camping all built up. I've been looking through this stuff and there is a TON to learn/do to these things! Argh!

Looks like I might need a regear sooner then later too
Unread 09-26-2013, 08:14 AM   #1879
yellow_snocone
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Man that painting job looks impressive. A Hendrix special for sure

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/chesters-tj-build-1420405/"][COLOR="Green"]Chester TJ build[/COLOR][/URL]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f330/rubicon-trail-august-9th-11th-2014-a-1550022/"][COLOR="Blue"]2014 JF RUBICON TRIP[/COLOR][/URL]
yellow_snocone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2013, 09:20 AM   #1880
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I just now finished my cry-fest after looking at those pictures. Mascara everywhere.

Seriously, though...that's really good work, and I don't say that often about paint. Nicely done.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2013, 10:01 AM   #1881
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Cool thanks for the info. Hopefully I pick this thing up, should be sweet for camping all built up. I've been looking through this stuff and there is a TON to learn/do to these things! Argh!

Definitely alot of things you don't even think about when building a trailer and so many options to customize. We don't have any hitches in inventory right now. But I bet you can build one way cheaper than buying one. The pintle design has been very popular and we've had alot of customers order them on trailers.

Unread 09-26-2013, 02:05 PM   #1882
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspup View Post

Definitely alot of things you don't even think about when building a trailer and so many options to customize. We don't have any hitches in inventory right now. But I bet you can build one way cheaper than buying one. The pintle design has been very popular and we've had alot of customers order them on trailers.

Id like to keep the noise down so I do like the coupler hitches. The trailer I'm looking at I'd have to cut all that off anyways so might as well. Not sure how to go about making one as of now.

Looks like I'll have to look into building vs buying.
Unread 09-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #1883
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Theres a lot of good info on the 416's out there . I had one , but decided to build my own instead .

Same here , after talking to Currie they really thought 5.13s were the way to go .
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow_snocone View Post
Man that painting job looks impressive. A Hendrix special for sure
Once he shoots the bedliner on Saturday it will ready to go home and get mounted up on the frame . I do think I will be repainting the frame though
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
I just now finished my cry-fest after looking at those pictures. Mascara everywhere.

Seriously, though...that's really good work, and I don't say that often about paint. Nicely done.
Hendrix's paint work is as nice as what I have seen in museums. Kind of nuts to have it on my trailer of all things
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspup View Post

Pintles offer a lot of movement at the expense of noise . Dont be modest your design is much better as it offers unrestricted movement without all the noise .
Quote:
Id like to keep the noise down so I do like the coupler hitches. The trailer I'm looking at I'd have to cut all that off anyways so might as well. Not sure how to go about making one as of now.

Looks like I'll have to look into building vs buying.
The only part that is difficult to make is the knuckle section as it is bar steel and likes to eat drill bits . If you decide to make your own hitch , I have an extra knuckle thats yours if you want it .
Unread 09-27-2013, 05:27 PM   #1884
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Little picture to tie you guys over.

image-2671733840.jpg

image-3951303638.jpg

image-2816494317.jpg
Hendrix is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2013, 06:33 PM   #1885
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Getting better all the time...

Unread 09-27-2013, 06:50 PM   #1886
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

About how much do you thing the trailer tub weighs as is Hendrix? And how much with the frame GB?
'87 MJ Comanche Chief - found in a field, now yard art
dayriesw is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2013, 03:50 PM   #1887
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
Little picture to tie you guys over.

Attachment 712593

Attachment 712601

Attachment 712609
Awesome , truly one of the few bright spots over the weekend .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Getting better all the time...
Next up is the aluminum tonneau , ready to do some work ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
About how much do you thing the trailer tub weighs as is Hendrix? And how much with the frame GB?
Two people can pretty easily handle the tub , so its probably 200lbs or so . The frame doesnt get heavy until you add the axle and springs . But its probably around 400lbs . Once its complete I will get it weighed .
Unread 09-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #1888
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Same here , after talking to Currie they really thought 5.13s were the way to go .

The only part that is difficult to make is the knuckle section as it is bar steel and likes to eat drill bits . If you decide to make your own hitch , I have an extra knuckle thats yours if you want it .
5.13's just seem deep for the highway for long periods even though the difference is only a couple hundred RPM's. When I was on 32's with 4.10s it had good power and I'm sure with a trailer it would have towed just fine. I think 4.88's are more for me.

Cool thanks! I might take you up on that. Would you happen to know the page number where the hitch build is?
Unread 09-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #1889
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

5.13s..... Like moab said, that is deep for your road trips. I dont know if you watch the UA trips, but Chris Durham (i think two years ago) drove his v8 equipped Willys TJ from NC to Wash state. He swapped in 4.10 for the road and swapped back to wheel. That would not be an option for most people but it does give you/me something to thing about.

The CJ that I have been thinking about building for way to long will be a long hauler/wheeler-(drive there and back/no trailer). I plan on a d60/14b with 4.56 (cucv style) with a 5:1 tcase or doubler tcase. I know that is more than you are thinking about now, but it is another way to go about good offroad gearing while saving a bit of the gas gussling. Just my 1.5 cents.
'87 MJ Comanche Chief - found in a field, now yard art
dayriesw is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2013, 05:19 PM   #1890
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Next up is the aluminum tonneau , ready to do some work ?
Always. I could use a fab project right about now.

Tags
crappy paint , jana k4 , lj , needs to go wheeling , old man emu , rubicon unlimited , savvy offroad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.