Just another LJ build - Page 116 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Just another LJ build

Hella Rallye 1000 Series 12-Volt/55-Watt Black Magic HalogFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Jeep Wrangler Hurricane Flat Fender Flare Kits for 2007-20

Reply
Unread 09-03-2013, 06:23 PM   #1726
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden, NC
Posts: 5,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
What trans do you run?

The Flop had a nsg and 5:13 and felt rright at home at 75 mph with 37s
I have a NSG 370 and the fastest I ever drive is about 65 mph .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
I have 4.88s and the 6 speed, and have run both 35s and 37s with that gearing. 4.88s work well with the 37s, I never feel like it is under-geared. The transmission shifts great with those gears and that size tire and has plenty of power. The 4.88s work great with the 35s, but turns high rpms at highway speeds. I dont think I would like 5.13s with 35s, would probably be geared too low for my liking on road, but I have no personal experience with that ratio yet. I don't think you can go wrong with either ratio, but I would stick to 4.88s to keep the rpms a little lower on the highway if you are staying with 35s for a while.
How do the 4.88s feel on the hills ? The 35s will be around for at least 3 or 4 years . As long as the kids fit comfortably in the back we will drive the LJ on the trips .

__________________
Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 06:30 PM   #1727
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden, NC
Posts: 5,299
I am still waiting on the differential clearance of the 60 vs the 44 but I did figure out the pricing .

Here is the Dana 44 parts prices .




The total for this is $1609.96 and the labor should be around $200 at a minimum .So $1806.96 .


The Dana 60 is $2661.89 with the axle coupon I found and that makes for a difference of $851.93 .
Shipping would be free on either option and for the $200price on axle setup I have to pull the axle so they are both an equal amount of work .
__________________
Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 06:30 PM   #1728
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ontario, Cali
Posts: 6,411
my lil Jeep has 4.88's and my bud's Rubicon had 4.88's and 35's is a nice gearing for hilly country, lil short for flat land, however if you are planning on doing most of your driving with your trailer then the question becomes what all besides the kitchen sink do you plan on dragging down the road. If you are like Cory and unbolt everything in the house and drag it down the road 5.13 gears would be the ticket.
Do yourself a favor and skip the E locker

Damn, bearing kits and gears have gotten expensive.
E mail Robert at RKHaus he can beat those prices

www.rwkhaussupply.com
__________________
My Tinkering and wheeling thread http://tinyurl.com/pbwdm5u
aw12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 06:36 PM   #1729
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden, NC
Posts: 5,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
my lil Jeep has 4.88's and my bud's Rubicon had 4.88's and 35's is a nice gearing for hilly country, lil short for flat land, however if you are planning on doing most of your driving with your trailer then the question becomes what all besides the kitchen sink do you plan on dragging down the road. If you are like Cory and unbolt everything in the house and drag it down the road 5.13 gears would be the ticket.
Do yourself a favor and skip the E locker
I thought the Eaton was a decent locker ? Are they not holding up out there?
As to the load , we will have carry at least 5 gallons of water , a tent , 4 sleeping bags , 4 air matresses , a cook stove , and other various camping goodies . I think 250 lbs of gear and the 600lb-ish trailer would be the top end of what we are carrying .

Art we are getting old , everything seems expensive now . I understand how my dad felt now the first time he had to pay over $1.00 a gallon for gas , he wasnt happy and I didnt understand why .

I will shoot Robert an email when I get ready to purchase , I would prefer to support the enthusiast / fellow wheelers if possible .
__________________
Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 06:38 PM   #1730
Moabrubi
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 1,452
That seems a little expensive for the rear chromos. My G2s were $220 I think. They are all made by the same people

If you go that route, PM me and I'll send you the phone # for the guy to get them from.
Moabrubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #1731
Jankoid
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Albemarle, NC
Posts: 4,849
Those chromos are stupid high, g2 or ten factory are way cheaper than that.
Jankoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 06:42 PM   #1732
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden, NC
Posts: 5,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post
That seems a little expensive for the rear chromos. My G2s were $220 I think. They are all made by the same people

If go that route, PM me and I'll send you the phone # for the guy to get them from.
$220 is a lot better pricing and will change the price differential to about $1000 which is where I thought it would be . If I build the 44 I will shoot you a pm .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
Those chromos are stupid high, g2 or ten factory are way cheaper than that.
I will check out the Rubicon tested guys , never heard of them until now .
__________________
Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #1733
Moabrubi
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
I will check out the Rubicon tested guys , never heard of them until now .
Austins a good guy, his dad owns Ten Factory/Motive gear.Hes got some pretty good deals too.
Moabrubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 06:47 PM   #1734
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ontario, Cali
Posts: 6,411
Robert sells the same motive gear set for 174 bucks

http://www.rwkhaussupply.com/magento...ion-set-1.htmlh=

Install kit 94 bucks, now for a Rubicon D44 it has thick shims, you might want to ask him about that
Gm's 10 bolt uses a same setup and the overhaul kit comes with a very cool shim setup, /same thing would work very well for your axle. I am partial to ARB lockers. You could ask this guy what he wants for aYukon locker is basically the older style ARB locker which works well in a D44, not much of a price advantage there
__________________
My Tinkering and wheeling thread http://tinyurl.com/pbwdm5u
aw12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 06:51 PM   #1735
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden, NC
Posts: 5,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post
Austins a good guy, his dad owns Ten Factory/Motive gear.Hes got some pretty good deals too.
Good to hear , bet he gets a good deal on the Ten Factory/Motive stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Robert sells the same motive gear set for 174 bucks

http://www.rwkhaussupply.com/magento...ion-set-1.html
You are killing my math ! So the gap is up to $1200 ish now . I havent really shopped the parts a lot and I am surprised at how much cheaper y'all are finding this stuff .

And back the E Locker , what are you seeing them do Art ?
__________________
Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 06:58 PM   #1736
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ontario, Cali
Posts: 6,411
Just not my thing, from hear say they do not release well especially in the front axle. Talk to some people that have them and wheel a lot.
See how they feel about them. Axle shafts and lockers are not the place to cheap out. Gears are pretty much all made by the same manufacturer and just reboxed in different brand name boxes I have seen it done in the Superior warehouse.
__________________
My Tinkering and wheeling thread http://tinyurl.com/pbwdm5u
aw12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 07:53 PM   #1737
clintrivera
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Pacific, Washington
Posts: 2,507
The e locker for the D44 uses a weak 2 pinon design. The Dynatrac rep said that it is 60% of the strength of an ARB.

For me there are two (outside of lunchbox lockers) lockers that I would put in my rig. Detroit, and ARB. If the Yukon Zip locker was cheaper, that might be interesting, but for as much as they charge you might as well do an ARB.
__________________
Project Indecision: A Jeep Addicts 06 LJ

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...ed-lj-1741722/
clintrivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 08:08 PM   #1738
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ontario, Cali
Posts: 6,411
in my book a Detroit in the rear sucks balls, so my vote is an ARB
__________________
My Tinkering and wheeling thread http://tinyurl.com/pbwdm5u
aw12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #1739
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden, NC
Posts: 5,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Just not my thing, from hear say they do not release well especially in the front axle. Talk to some people that have them and wheel a lot.
See how they feel about them. Axle shafts and lockers are not the place to cheap out. Gears are pretty much all made by the same manufacturer and just reboxed in different brand name boxes I have seen it done in the Superior warehouse.
I dont know many people with E Lockers . I think Kyle Craig runs one , I will go see what he thinks about it .
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post
The e locker for the D44 uses a weak 2 pinon design. The Dynatrac rep said that it is 60% of the strength of an ARB.

For me there are two (outside of lunchbox lockers) lockers that I would put in my rig. Detroit, and ARB. If the Yukon Zip locker was cheaper, that might be interesting, but for as much as they charge you might as well do an ARB.
I wonder what the 60 E elocker uses ? I have 0 issues with an ARB other than buying the compressor ... silly huh ? I have no qualms spending 2700 dollars on an axle but I dont want to buy a 300 dollar compressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
in my book a Detroit in the rear sucks balls, so my vote is an ARB
How do you really feel Art ? Either axle will get a selectable rear locker . I want nothing to do with locked all the time for a cross country driver .
__________________
Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #1740
clintrivera
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Pacific, Washington
Posts: 2,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
in my book a Detroit in the rear sucks balls, so my vote is an ARB
I wouldn't run one on a DD either, but for a trail rig, they are very reliable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
I wonder what the 60 E elocker uses ? I have 0 issues with an ARB other than buying the compressor ... silly huh ? I have no qualms spending 2700 dollars on an axle but I dont want to buy a 300 dollar compressor
The D60 e locker is also 2 pinon. Eaton made the E-locker for OEM applications. They just happen to release them to the aftermarket as well. As such, they are designed for OEM size tires and less than hard abuse.

They give away free compressors with ARB's all the time, so if that's your stumbling block, just wait till they go on sale. The nice thing about an ARB is the support. There have been many people (including me) that have sent ARB a box of broken junk (many times installed incorrectly) and ARB sends back a rebuilt ARB for the price of free.
__________________
Project Indecision: A Jeep Addicts 06 LJ

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...ed-lj-1741722/
clintrivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
crappy paint , jana k4 , lj , needs to go wheeling , old man emu , rubicon unlimited , savvy offroad
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.