Just another LJ build - Page 112 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Just another LJ build

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Reply
Unread 08-29-2013, 11:10 PM   #1666
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler
 
bobthetj03's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lake County, Ca.
Posts: 4,958
I'm just enjoying the fact that you take your rig to the far reaches of what most of us don't. Do not lose site of that!

__________________
Bob's boring build:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 11:12 PM   #1667
Moabrubi
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 1,505
Yea.. I understand now. Breaking thousands of miles from home would suck.

For trips away from home I just need to figure out how to get it back to the trailer. So it's no biggie for me.
Moabrubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 05:32 AM   #1668
Jankoid
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Albemarle, NC
Posts: 4,868
You know my opinion on this subject as we have beat it to death already.

If you had seen how hard I've been beating on my rubi 44s since putting the Detroit in the rear you wouldn't even consider upgrading the gear set. I see absolutely no reason to put a stronger rear axle in the rear if you are not going bigger.

Also, I wouldn't want a rear axle that is significantly stronger than the front. That's just a false sense of security you are creating for yourself.

If you just want peace of mind do the Jana kit. With a JK gear set, ARB locker, and 35 spline shafts, you will never break that rear axle on 35s, trust me.

Oh, and fab 9 > RJ60
Jankoid is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 06:10 AM   #1669
janesy86
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Beverly, MA
Posts: 1,247
Definitely a tough one if your going to throw all that coin into the D44 tho. Can make more $$ off the rubi axle in good shape that if its busted to offset the 60.

But I'd agree with Jankoid, even with just the stock Rubi D44 that I'm running. In the yea and a half that I've owned the rig, I've been out easily 25 times and each time I tend to puch my limits to what I try even more. I also follow a lot of juggy's around so that usually makes me try some stuff I wouldn't think of trying normally. I also drive to and from the trail, not 1000+ miles but still between 1-4 hrs or so. And the rear is holding up more than fine even without me totally babying it.

So while I think the rubi axle will hold up to you on 35's, I understand your logic as well.
__________________
03' Rubi: 2" BDS, 1.25" BL/MML, Hylined rollin' on 35" MTR's

Hylined '03 Rubi Build

Western MA 4x4
janesy86 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 06:54 AM   #1670
TrailJ
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 364
But if it is over built and wouldn't have failed anyway, it's wasted money. If probability of failure is so low no one thinks it will happen, is the extra insurance needed? Plus don't 35s not provide enough clearance for a 60?
TrailJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 08:31 AM   #1671
jermeyg
Registered User
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Rosamond, CA
Posts: 546
So many good points on here! Maybe i can ard another? While I think a RJ60 is awesome I think it's a good idea to consider the disadvantages of having one especially with your anticipated lift height. How much uptravel are you willing to work in there with a RJ60? Will you stay 5-linked or move to a 4-link? Will you be willing to switch beadlocks in the rear? Are you comfortable with wider rear end?
jermeyg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 08:26 PM   #1672
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden, NC
Posts: 5,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post
Yea.. I understand now. Breaking thousands of miles from home would suck.

For trips away from home I just need to figure out how to get it back to the trailer. So it's no biggie for me.
I may end up back on a trailer once the kids get older and need more room , but for now its cross country in the LJ .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
You know my opinion on this subject as we have beat it to death already.

If you had seen how hard I've been beating on my rubi 44s since putting the Detroit in the rear you wouldn't even consider upgrading the gear set. I see absolutely no reason to put a stronger rear axle in the rear if you are not going bigger.

Also, I wouldn't want a rear axle that is significantly stronger than the front. That's just a false sense of security you are creating for yourself.

If you just want peace of mind do the Jana kit. With a JK gear set, ARB locker, and 35 spline shafts, you will never break that rear axle on 35s, trust me.

Oh, and fab 9 > RJ60
I know the Jana setup is stout , and its one of the options I still consider. And compared to most of y'all I wheel very conservatively . The one difference is driving it out West and back . Finances may dictate that I build the 44 , but I recently sold the blue truck ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by janesy86 View Post
Definitely a tough one if your going to throw all that coin into the D44 tho. Can make more $$ off the rubi axle in good shape that if its busted to offset the 60.

But I'd agree with Jankoid, even with just the stock Rubi D44 that I'm running. In the yea and a half that I've owned the rig, I've been out easily 25 times and each time I tend to puch my limits to what I try even more. I also follow a lot of juggy's around so that usually makes me try some stuff I wouldn't think of trying normally. I also drive to and from the trail, not 1000+ miles but still between 1-4 hrs or so. And the rear is holding up more than fine even without me totally babying it.

So while I think the rubi axle will hold up to you on 35's, I understand your logic as well.
I have had the same conversations with myself ( I get really bored on the road) and others over the last six months . A 60 is way more than I need , unless I break and get stuck somewhere waiting on parts and trying to find a good shop .
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailJ View Post
But if it is over built and wouldn't have failed anyway, it's wasted money. If probability of failure is so low no one thinks it will happen, is the extra insurance needed? Plus don't 35s not provide enough clearance for a 60?
The 60 will most likely drag a little more , I am going to try and find the clearance differences of the 44 and a Rock Jock . As to the probability of the 44 dieing ? Only if its in the worst location on a Sunday night at the top of a Mountain Pass during one of the hippy gatherings .
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermeyg View Post
So many good points on here! Maybe i can ard another? While I think a RJ60 is awesome I think it's a good idea to consider the disadvantages of having one especially with your anticipated lift height. How much uptravel are you willing to work in there with a RJ60? Will you stay 5-linked or move to a 4-link? Will you be willing to switch beadlocks in the rear? Are you comfortable with wider rear end?
5 linked for now and the foreseeable future . I hadnt considered losing uptravel and thats a valid point . A little more bumpstop would be ok , but I dont want to end up in a downtravel only situation . Some of the 60s offer a dual pattern , but if need be I would swap out the front hubs and go to a larger pattern . I think the Champions would sell pretty easily , so that would partially offset the cost of the new wheels .

This is why I posted the question , before I spent the money . Still a lot of reading to do ...
__________________
Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 09:02 PM   #1673
Jankoid
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Albemarle, NC
Posts: 4,868
I think you are way overthinking it. You WILL NOT break a d44 with JK gears, ARB locker, and 35 spline chromos with mild wheeling on 35s. Simple as that. Even with hard wheeling on 37s that would be a very hard combo to break. With the Jana kit and upgraded shafts you are stronger than a Ford 8.8, and I know several people that beat the piss out of their 8.8s on 35s-37s, and they are still running stock 31 spline shafts. You do not need a d60. It's like those commercials where they show a guy ****ing up his tile floor with a sharpie so they can sell you some fancy highlighter to brighten your grout lines. Don't invent a problem just so you can waste money on the solution. I don't support the d60 idea at all, no matter how many times you try to convince yourself you need it.

I'm pretty sure a RJ60 actually has better clearance than a 44, similar to a d35.
Jankoid is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 09:47 PM   #1674
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..
 
gst95dsm's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 4,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
I think you are way overthinking it. You WILL NOT break a d44 with JK gears, ARB locker, and 35 spline chromos with mild wheeling on 35s. Simple as that. Even with hard wheeling on 37s that would be a very hard combo to break. With the Jana kit and upgraded shafts you are stronger than a Ford 8.8, and I know several people that beat the piss out of their 8.8s on 35s-37s, and they are still running stock 31 spline shafts. You do not need a d60. It's like those commercials where they show a guy ****ing up his tile floor with a sharpie so they can sell you some fancy highlighter to brighten your grout lines. Don't invent a problem just so you can waste money on the solution. I don't support the d60 idea at all, no matter how many times you try to convince yourself you need it.

I'm pretty sure a RJ60 actually has better clearance than a 44, similar to a d35.
What if you add it all up and the money is the same or within a couple hundred? Why NOT do it?
__________________
My Build Thread
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 10:07 PM   #1675
TrailJ
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 364
As long as clearance and travel are equal (?) why not?
TrailJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 10:37 PM   #1676
gspup
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Demfer, CO
Posts: 2,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm

What if you add it all up and the money is the same or within a couple hundred? Why NOT do it?
Within a couple hundred...? We all know what that means.

I say no 60 either. I have close personal friends that run extreme trails on rubi 44's w/ cromos and 37's with no breakage in back. not needed. **** Nate runs a D35 on 35's. End of discussion.
__________________
TJ build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ljs-devil-1329976/
gspup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 10:50 PM   #1677
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..
 
gst95dsm's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 4,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspup View Post
Within a couple hundred...? We all know what that means.

I say no 60 either. I have close personal friends that run extreme trails on rubi 44's w/ cromos and 37's with no breakage in back. not needed. **** Nate runs a D35 on 35's. End of discussion.
Haha, I don't know whether or not to feel proud... or embarrassed that my D35 lives for some reason. I'm not the ONLY m-fer running a D35 with 35's!

Beasley IS the only m-fer I know running two car seats, the wifey and the ambition to wheel 1000's of miles from home. I support the D44 build up also... my only thing is if the money is the same, why not?
__________________
My Build Thread
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 11:10 PM   #1678
TrailJ
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailJ View Post
As long as clearance and travel are equal (?) why not?
Are they? Will a 60 be the same or worse than a d44 in any other area? PRice bEing equal what are clearance, travel etc?
TrailJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 11:19 PM   #1679
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler
 
bobthetj03's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lake County, Ca.
Posts: 4,958
We need some 60 owners to chime in on this!
__________________
Bob's boring build:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2013, 05:23 AM   #1680
Jankoid
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Albemarle, NC
Posts: 4,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
Also, I wouldn't want a rear axle that is significantly stronger than the front. That's just a false sense of security you are creating for yourself.
Did anyone catch this comment I made? It doesn't matter if he runs a Jana44, RJ60 or a rockwell in the rear, if he doesn't swap out that front axle he has done nothing to alleviate his weak point. He'll be breaking u joints and stub shafts long before he blows up a jana44. I have yet to see an exact price for a bolt in RJ60, but i'm sure it does cost more and it is an unnecessary upgrade.
Jankoid is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Tags
crappy paint , jana k4 , lj , needs to go wheeling , old man emu , rubicon unlimited , savvy offroad

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.