Just another LJ build - Page 111 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Just another LJ build

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 08-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #1651
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
I demand pictures of this.
It wont be too bad in the back of the Grand . Kimbo wanted to put me in the trailer ... that would have made for some video

Todays Jeeping

Tire buying is teh debil ! Or at least the cost of tires is teh debil . Four Thirty five BFG MT's are $1050 mounted and balanced . Four Cooper STT's are $800 , and I am waiting to see what a set of Pitbull radials are going to be but they are a dark horse .

In addition to that the Dana 60 rear axle monster has reared its ugly head again . When I figure in a new locker and upgraded shafts for my rear 44 the 60 isnt "that" much more money . I dont need it , but I hate to spend a similar amount of money and end up with an axle that isnt as strong as it could be .

Unread 08-29-2013, 06:59 PM   #1652
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
It wont be too bad in the back of the Grand . Kimbo wanted to put me in the trailer ... that would have made for some video

Todays Jeeping

Tire buying is teh debil ! Or at least the cost of tires is teh debil . Four Thirty five BFG MT's are $1050 mounted and balanced . Four Cooper STT's are $800 , and I am waiting to see what a set of Pitbull radials are going to be but they are a dark horse .

In addition to that the Dana 60 rear axle monster has reared its ugly head again . When I figure in a new locker and upgraded shafts for my rear 44 the 60 isnt "that" much more money . I dont need it , but I hate to spend a similar amount of money and end up with an axle that isnt as strong as it could be .
Those STTs could be a good choice. They're a good all around tire at a reasonable price.

Just curious, if you're only going to run 35s, why spend the money on a 60?
kyle_craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 07:44 PM   #1653
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Todays Jeeping

Just get the 60. You convinced me the other day. Otherwise you'll always double guess it.

Looking for a set of dana 30 shafts for a TJ or XJ, stock and good condition. PM me if you have a set and willing to ship or are in LA.
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 08:09 PM   #1654
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_craig View Post
Those STTs could be a good choice. They're a good all around tire at a reasonable price.

Just curious, if you're only going to run 35s, why spend the money on a 60?
At some point I may go larger , but it comes down to the money .
Jana gears with a selectable locker and upgraded alloy shafts along with other small things will be somewhere around $2000 give or take . I can get an ECGS Dana 60 with an OX or ARB for about $3500 and my rear axle will bring around $1000 .
So if you add the $1000 44 sale price to the $2000 parts list I wont be that far from a 60 cost wise . The tricky part is sticking with a budget 60 as once I make the decision it will be a slippery slope towards a Rock Jock .

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
Just get the 60. You convinced me the other day. Otherwise you'll always double guess it.
As much as I dislike double guessing , I really detest building something twice . Still some thinking to do and a lot of dead horse left to beat on
Unread 08-29-2013, 08:14 PM   #1655
jforse
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
At some point I may go larger

As much as I dislike double guessing , I really detest building something twice . Still some thinking to do and a lot of dead horse left to beat on

Sell your 44 build the 60 and buy 37's. Your not doing **** twice and your saving money because of it.
Unread 08-29-2013, 08:31 PM   #1656
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jforse View Post
Sell your 44 build the 60 and buy 37's. Your not doing **** twice and your saving money because of it.
I still want to drive the LJ cross country and I am not sure how pleasant 37s would be on long road stretches . Heck the 35s feel a little squirrelly , but I think they will be ok once I get some seat time in . The 44 vs 60 debate is still going on , but I like your logic
Unread 08-29-2013, 08:40 PM   #1657
jforse
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I still want to drive the LJ cross country and I am not sure how pleasant 37s would be on long road stretches . Heck the 35s feel a little squirrelly , but I think they will be ok once I get some seat time in . The 44 vs 60 debate is still going on , but I like your logic

37's are just fine on the road.
Unread 08-29-2013, 09:07 PM   #1658
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I think the if it ain't broke don't fix it mentality comes to mind for me here.. Why a Jana kit? How many R&P's do you plan on breaking? Anything wrong with your Rubicon locker yet? If/when mine goes kaput again, I'm just going to throw an ARB in and keep my gears/30 spline shafts.

IMO a RJ60 is overkill for 35s. Personally I'm not sure I would even bother with 37's. Sure 2" makes a difference, but enough to justify the cost of RJ60s? At that point just jump to 40s and tons and get a real advantage.

It's a slippery slope Time for a tow rig and trailer for those road trips.
Moabrubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 09:15 PM   #1659
OkLaHoMaTJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

You seem like a pretty conservative driver...I would be surprised if you ever have any problems with the rear 44.

I have a buyer lined up to buy my tires and wheels this winter (he's building an XJ and wants to run 35'' kevs). I plan on running some 37x12.50/17 MTR Kevs and a bead lock of some sort (mainly whatever I can find used that is aluminum...preferably Walker Evans, Slabs, Racelines). My Dana 44's will be as beefed up as you can get minus some trusses.

I wheel with a guy who has 37'' KM2's (I know...not real 37's) with 4.88's and stock rear shafts...not once has he broke. He went to RCV's in the front just cuz...still didn't break anything.

If the rear locker or gears become a problem then I would sell it for a RJ60. Just my 2 cents.

Carry on with an awesome build thread
Unread 08-29-2013, 09:15 PM   #1660
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Overbuild for 35's.... that's what your rig is all about. It makes perfect sense to me for you to run a D60. You like to drive it 1000's of miles from home, wheel it on some of the most famous/difficult trails in the country.... with your wife and 2 kids in it and then drive it home. You don't want to deal with any failures no matter how uncommon they might be. And if the money is similar to almost completely eliminate ANY possible rear axle problems..... it's very logical. I don't know of anyone else who really falls into this category besides you, but I think it's cool!
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 09:20 PM   #1661
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Overbuild for 35's.... that's what your rig is all about. It makes perfect sense to me for you to run a D60. You like to drive it 1000's of miles from home, wheel it on some of the most famous/difficult trails in the country.... with your wife and 2 kids in it and then drive it home. You don't want to deal with any failures no matter how uncommon they might be. And if the money is similar to almost completely eliminate ANY possible rear axle problems..... it's very logical. I don't know of anyone else who really falls into this category besides you, but I think it's cool!
Hmmm I know a guy that has a D35 on 35" tires that wheels the crap out of it all over and has had no issues...

How bout this.. Just take Nates D35 and you know you have an invincible axle.
Moabrubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 09:27 PM   #1662
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post
Hmmm I know a guy that has a D35 on 35" tires that wheels the crap out of it all over and has had no issues...
Hey that's me....

I'm a dumb *** though.
Unread 08-29-2013, 09:38 PM   #1663
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jforse View Post
37's are just fine on the road.
I have had them on offroad rigs , but they were trail only .
Quote:
I think the if it ain't broke don't fix it mentality comes to mind for me here..
If I werent regearing I would agree , but with me re gearing it just makes sense to me to fix potential problems before they happen .
Quote:
Why a Jana kit? How many R&P's do you plan on breaking?
For just a little more money you get a much stronger R&P . I dont plan on breaking any R&P's thats why I am leaning towards the 60

Quote:
Anything wrong with your Rubicon locker yet? If/when mine goes kaput again, I'm just going to throw an ARB in and keep my gears/30 spline shafts.
The Rubi rear works perfect , and thats the time to sell it . I really wanted to run a front Rubi locker in the rear , but after reading Kyle Craigs issues with his and a few others that is off the list . The ARB and shafts with bearings is $1500 ish , add that money to what you can sell your rear for and you too can reason your way into a Dana 60 via Beasleys patented fuzzy math
Quote:
IMO a RJ60 is overkill for 35s. Personally I'm not sure I would even bother with 37's. Sure 2" makes a difference, but enough to justify the cost of RJ60s? At that point just jump to 40s and tons and get a real advantage.
I like to drive mine , thats part of the fun and I dont think 40s will ever be on my list . 35s werent on my list until the last trip to Moab and I saw how much difference the tire size made for dragging vs my brother in laws LJ .

Quote:
It's a slippery slope Time for a tow rig and trailer for those road trips.
I had a tow rig and trailer for most of my Moab / Western trips and while it had its advantages I didnt "see" as much . When we ( me and the family ) are in the LJ we take side roads on a whim . If theres something off route we just go , but when I was towing it was the same old boring Interstates .

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkLaHoMaTJ View Post
You seem like a pretty conservative driver...I would be surprised if you ever have any problems with the rear 44.
I am conservative , as I hate to break from doing something dumb . I tend to overbuild so that when I decide to be dumb I can still drive back home at the end of the day .

Quote:
I have a buyer lined up to buy my tires and wheels this winter (he's building an XJ and wants to run 35'' kevs). I plan on running some 37x12.50/17 MTR Kevs and a bead lock of some sort (mainly whatever I can find used that is aluminum...preferably Walker Evans, Slabs, Racelines). My Dana 44's will be as beefed up as you can get minus some trusses.
This winter I want to get my C gussets welded in and look at making a long side truss on the front . At that point all thats left is to sell the superiors and put in some RCV's which I should have done in the first
place .
Quote:
I wheel with a guy who has 37'' KM2's (I know...not real 37's) with 4.88's and stock rear shafts...not once has he broke. He went to RCV's in the front just cuz...still didn't break anything.
I know that the 44 rear will most likely hold up fine , but for the small chance it doesnt its worth the money to me get a 60 .
Quote:
If the rear locker or gears become a problem then I would sell it for a RJ60. Just my 2 cents.
Look up to my fuzzy math above and you can have a 60 much sooner than later
Carry on with an awesome build thread[/QUOTE]
Thanks , once the trailer is 100% I am putting all efforts and spare money into the LJ over the winter .

Quote:
Thanks Nate , you summarized what I was thinking way more eloquently than I could . Overbuilt LJ has a nice ring to it
Unread 08-29-2013, 09:42 PM   #1664
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
This made me laugh ! Nate is a heck of a driver and he knows his rigs limit ... he also has a trailer .

Quote:
How bout this.. Just take Nates D35 and you know you have an invincible axle.
It would be easier for me to find a Unicorn than get that axle from him

Quote:
Hey that's me....

I'm a dumb *** though.
With a trailer it isn't dumb at all .
Unread 08-29-2013, 10:05 PM   #1665
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
This made me laugh ! Nate is a heck of a driver and he knows his rigs limit ... he also has a trailer .

It would be easier for me to find a Unicorn than get that axle from him

With a trailer it isn't dumb at all .

Funny stuff here.

Yes my truck and trailer are my insurance for a REALLY bad day far from home. Just having to worry about making back to staging is a good feeling when you're running at the limits of your equipment. Beasley on the other hand needs to be running well within his rigs comfort zone.... being 1000's of miles from home.

Tags
crappy paint , jana k4 , lj , needs to go wheeling , old man emu , rubicon unlimited , savvy offroad

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.