Just another LJ build - Page 110 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Just another LJ build

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 08-24-2013, 07:49 PM   #1636
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Heres the trim piece welded up and ready to cover the rough edge of the old wheel well .

Trim piece in place .

Hard to see , but both trim pieces are in place .

This is where it gets tricky , this is a picture of the hinge mount . In this position I think its going to catch water and hold it .
I think that I am going to reverse it and have it face forward . This way with a little seam sealer it should seal up well and allow for a solid mounting point for the tonneau hinge .

Basically I will mount the angle opposite of this . More work tomorrow afternoon , its going to be close getting it ready for the trip .

Unread 08-24-2013, 10:31 PM   #1637
jforse
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

That trailer is looking great!
jforse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 06:52 AM   #1638
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jforse View Post
That trailer is looking great!
Thanks , its starting to wind down now . Its rough getting time in the garage when I am home for just the weekend but its nice to see it so close to being finished.
Unread 08-25-2013, 08:15 AM   #1639
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Thanks , its starting to wind down now . Its rough getting time in the garage when I am home for just the weekend but its nice to see it so close to being finished.
If you need me to finish up something just point me in the right direction when you get it here.
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 04:46 PM   #1640
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
If you need me to finish up something just point me in the right direction when you get it here.
Everything is figured out except the front hinge mount . I am hooking it up to my wifes Grand Cherokee for the trip out tomorrow and I am going to see what you think will work for the front mount .
Unread 08-25-2013, 07:21 PM   #1641
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The tailgate latches are complete , all thats left is the aforementioned hinge mount for the tonneau . After some thinking and measuring I came up with what I think is a pretty simple solution for the latches .

A piece of barstock happened to be laying on the counter and it was the perfect size for the latch to close onto .

Heres the barstock in place .

A few bends in the vice made for a good stop / catch for the latch .

And nice out of focus picture of the tailgate latched .

The trailer is hitched up and ready to go West tomorrow morning .
Unread 08-26-2013, 04:13 AM   #1642
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Trailer is back at the house and I am on my way to Tennessee... Not sure what or exactly how it happened but the trailer has death wobble over sixty miles per hour.
Unread 08-26-2013, 04:16 AM   #1643
supertaco

could be a tire. either broken belt or out of balance or to much fix a flat in it.
supertaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 06:57 AM   #1644
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Trailer is back at the house and I am on my way to Tennessee... Not sure what or exactly how it happened but the trailer has death wobble over sixty miles per hour.
So it isn't going to Hendrix now? Or right now?
Unread 08-26-2013, 08:14 AM   #1645
yellow_snocone
Web Wheeler
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Its not trailer DW its just skipping for joy since its going to get detailed up

Chester TJ build

2014 JF RUBICON TRIP
yellow_snocone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 09:02 AM   #1646
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley
That sucks, probably just a tire.

Sent from my iPod touch from Top of the World!
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 05:58 PM   #1647
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertaco View Post
could be a tire. either broken belt or out of balance or to much fix a flat in it.
The tires are old , but were ok behind my LJ up to 50 mph .

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
So it isn't going to Hendrix now? Or right now?
Next trip West , thankfully I have to come back out here again in two weeks .

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow_snocone View Post
Its not trailer DW its just skipping for joy since its going to get detailed up
Do you blame it ? The paint job I put on it looks like it has mange .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
That sucks, probably just a tire.

Sent from my iPod touch from Top of the World!
After a long ride to Franklin TN I have four things I think it may be .

1: Tire or tires ... They are old and have been sitting a long time . The odd thing is that the vibes start at 55 and dont go away until you come to a full stop . If you keep it at 50 mph there are no vibes .

2: Soft springs . I think I may have the leaves set up too soft and a body in motion tends to stay in motion . The problem seems to get worse when I hit a bump at speed , so maybe a pair of shocks would help dampen the movement ?

3: Toe In . Or maybe the lack there of ? My axle is set up with toe in , and theres a weld spot that shows which side is the front . When I went from a spring over to a spring under theres a chance I got the toe in backwards which would lead to odd tracking .

4: Porpoising . Ie; low tongue weight . The trailer is setup to have weight on the tongue in the form of a cooler or a tongue box and that currently isnt there . Theres maybe 20 lbs of tongue weight , and with a weight of 700lbs or so that could lead to the trailer jumping around ?

Thats all I could come up with as I thought things through on the drive out . I am open to all ideas , and will chase them down when I get back home in ten days or so .
Unread 08-28-2013, 08:00 AM   #1648
bty34
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The tires are old , but were ok behind my LJ up to 50 mph .

Next trip West , thankfully I have to come back out here again in two weeks .

Do you blame it ? The paint job I put on it looks like it has mange .

After a long ride to Franklin TN I have four things I think it may be .

1: Tire or tires ... They are old and have been sitting a long time . The odd thing is that the vibes start at 55 and dont go away until you come to a full stop . If you keep it at 50 mph there are no vibes .

2: Soft springs . I think I may have the leaves set up too soft and a body in motion tends to stay in motion . The problem seems to get worse when I hit a bump at speed , so maybe a pair of shocks would help dampen the movement ?

3: Toe In . Or maybe the lack there of ? My axle is set up with toe in , and theres a weld spot that shows which side is the front . When I went from a spring over to a spring under theres a chance I got the toe in backwards which would lead to odd tracking .

4: Porpoising . Ie; low tongue weight . The trailer is setup to have weight on the tongue in the form of a cooler or a tongue box and that currently isnt there . Theres maybe 20 lbs of tongue weight , and with a weight of 700lbs or so that could lead to the trailer jumping around ?

Thats all I could come up with as I thought things through on the drive out . I am open to all ideas , and will chase them down when I get back home in ten days or so .
I vote tongue weight. I added a bike carrier to the back of my m416 and it was fine when accelerating, but when there was no load on the hitch it starting swaying violently enough to move the jeep. I had probably 25 lbs on the tongue, but it wasn't enough. Pulled the rack back off and it was back to normal. Probably had a 60-70 lbs on the tongue after.
Unread 08-28-2013, 08:30 PM   #1649
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bty34 View Post
I vote tongue weight. I added a bike carrier to the back of my m416 and it was fine when accelerating, but when there was no load on the hitch it starting swaying violently enough to move the jeep. I had probably 25 lbs on the tongue, but it wasn't enough. Pulled the rack back off and it was back to normal. Probably had a 60-70 lbs on the tongue after.
The majority of people I have spoken to all have said the same thing . When I get home I will load some weight on the tongue and see what kind of difference it makes . I plan on sitting in the back of the Grand Cherokee while my wife drives around with the trailer behind us ... that should be a lot of fun
Unread 08-29-2013, 06:10 AM   #1650
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

The majority of people I have spoken to all have said the same thing . When I get home I will load some weight on the tongue and see what kind of difference it makes . I plan on sitting in the back of the Grand Cherokee while my wife drives around with the trailer behind us ... that should be a lot of fun
I demand pictures of this.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
crappy paint , jana k4 , lj , needs to go wheeling , old man emu , rubicon unlimited , savvy offroad

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.