Just another LJ build - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Just another LJ build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineVisit 1aauto.com For ShockTober Deals on Monroe shocks andAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-26-2012, 09:09 PM   #151
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

It was tough to get the passengers side A pillar where I wanted it . Rather than fight the spring of the tube , I used a ratchet strap to place the base of the A pillar exactly where I wanted it .

Whether you get a pre bent kit or make your own , this is an invaluable tool . Theres lots of brands , but this one has served me well . I use old style Lenox holesaws ( re branded as fastenals) and I can get two or three cages out of one hole saw . I use a Milwaukee Hole Hawg which turns slow , and I think that helps extend the life of my holesaws .

This is how I make floor plates . I tack one end together so that as I drill them they stay square to each other . An added bonus is the tack welds will help you orient the plates as you install them in case they arent drilled perfectly square .

And this is where I am as of today . Still have a few spreaders to cut and notch , then on to the back . I hope to finish it up on Monday .

On a side note thanks to all who serve and have served this weekend .

Unread 05-28-2012, 12:59 PM   #152
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Let me start by saying , tube work is humbling ...

I am stuck on my last two tubes that have to be done before I can start welding up the last of the cage . The diagonals that go in the rear require double fish-mouths on both ends and they are not the same angles on any of the four sides .

Pics tonight , I am only in now on a wife imposed lunchbreak/ rehydration stop .
Unread 05-28-2012, 02:12 PM   #153
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Cage looks good from what I can see. You should try and wheel with the windshield down once when you get a chance. Keep up the hard work.
Unread 05-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #154
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
Cage looks good from what I can see. You should try and wheel with the windshield down once when you get a chance. Keep up the hard work.
Windshield down is the best ! And its just one of the reasons for a cage . More pics !

Bending the spreaders .

Spreaders in place .

From the front .

Rear diagonals in place . Sadly they dont fit as well as I like so they are going to the scrap bin .

And the Currie / Savvy ultimate setup is out of the box and ready to go in next weekend . It is BEEFY compared to the stock stuff !

This is another project that I had bent up at the machine shop . I still need to weld the reinforcements and the sides in . Anyone want to guess what it is ?

Thats all for this week , off to NYC for another fun week of work .
Unread 05-28-2012, 08:47 PM   #155
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Trunk?
Unread 05-29-2012, 07:01 PM   #156
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Trunk?
That didnt take long

I know theres a lot of them already available , but I thought I could improve on what was out there . I think it will turn out pretty nice , and should lock up nice and secure .
Unread 05-29-2012, 08:11 PM   #157
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Man looking good on that cage. I wish I had the working area for such projects.
dongalonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 01:13 AM   #158
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looking great man! Just spent a little time going through your build thread....impressive work. Looking forward to seeing the cage completed, any ideas how you plan to tie in the C pillar on the drivers side?

Molon Labe
Molonlabemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 11:33 AM   #159
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post

Are you going to put any lateral bracing across the rear of the cage? At the B pillars or C pillars?

Quote:
That didnt take long.
No sir. But what is taking long is this cage......
Unread 05-30-2012, 09:29 PM   #160
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molonlabemike View Post
Looking great man! Just spent a little time going through your build thread....impressive work. Looking forward to seeing the cage completed, any ideas how you plan to tie in the C pillar on the drivers side?
The C Pllar tie in is going to be tricky with the filler neck in place . I havent looked at it a lot yet . I did kick around the idea of a CJ filler For now I have been focusing on the tube work. Once its all done then I will start tieing it into the frame .

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongalonga View Post
Man looking good on that cage. I wish I had the working area for such projects.
I worked under a pine tree for many years , I love having the garage to work in now .

Quote:
Are you going to put any lateral bracing across the rear of the cage? At the B pillars or C pillars?
I probably wont even though I know how much strength it adds . Getting the kids in and out is somewhat of a deciding factor . With that said I am still considering a diagonal at the B . There will be some gussetts to spread the load too .

Quote:
No sir. But what is taking long is this cage......
That burns ...
I am in NYC this week plus I ran out of welding wire before I left town . I will finish it up next week as I plan on driving it to Moab in mid June .
Unread 05-30-2012, 10:28 PM   #161
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

That burns ...
I am in NYC this week plus I ran out of welding wire before I left town . I will finish it up next week as I plan on driving it to Moab in mid June .
Great. Already like the fab and now you are going to Moab too. I cannot keep up. Swing thru the South and pick me up
Unread 06-01-2012, 05:46 AM   #162
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Great. Already like the fab and now you are going to Moab too. I cannot keep up. Swing thru the South and pick me up
Your welcom to come out west with me , I do have to work a week while I am there which is what is allowing me to sneak this trip in .
Unread 06-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #163
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I am flat out tired of welding and grinding . Thankfully I am almost done !

Still have to finish welding a few more joints , but other than that the cage is done for now . I will add some more tubing later and the tie ins too . For now this will have to do as I have to get it ready to go to Moab .

Lots of welding at the corners .The fitting of the diagonals kicked my butt .
Unread 06-04-2012, 09:15 PM   #164
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Man that looks great. Have fun in Moab. So jealous...
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 09:26 PM   #165
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Nice work dude.

Tags
crappy paint , jana k4 , lj , needs to go wheeling , old man emu , rubicon unlimited , savvy offroad

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.