Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
559K views 4K replies 176 participants last post by  G Beasley 
#1 ·
Retro Rubicon LJ build

I havent had a 4wd that could be driven on the highway in a long time and I was getting tired of trailering everywhere so I started looking for a LJ Rubicon last Thanksgiving . Within a week I found this with 60k miles for a great deal and it was semi local .

This is the first picture I took of it once I unloaded it from the trailer . The next day I took it out back to have a little fun .

I immediatley liked the softer ride than I had in my samurai , but it was lacking some in capability . I knew with some time and research it would be much more capable , but for the time being I contented myself with cleaning it , getting a new top and some Line X .

I removed everything from the LJ and added a custom milk crate seat . I trailered it over to Line X and then when I got it home I put it all back together just in time to drive up to Lake Erie for work . (Seeing a trailer habit yet )

This was the 1st time in 7 years I hadnt driven a dually CTD Dodge on a trip and I really enjoyed the TJ . So I went full bore into researching here on JF and ROF and I ordered up an Old Man Emu super ultimate setup from DPG offroad .

I came home from six weeks on the road and this is what I had waiting for the Rubicon .

The thread has gotten a little long heres a spoiler pic of what the LJ looks like as of August 2013 .

See less See more
#401 ·
I plan on having eight mounts , currently theres 0 pucks anywhere near me . Word on the street is that theres some across the mountains from me ?
Currently I am looking at other options for isolation . Heck do I even need isolation , its just a trailer ?

#402 ·
G Beasley said:
I plan on having eight mounts , currently theres 0 pucks anywhere near me . Word on the street is that theres some across the mountains from me ?
Currently I am looking at other options for isolation . Heck do I even need isolation , its just a trailer ?
I have 8 or so...I also have friends that work at the local rink where the Preds played before the stupid lock out

#405 ·
Whats the going rate on 8 pucks these days ?
Trailer looks awesome. Wish I had the skills to fab something like that up.
Funny , I say the same thing about your wiring .
Sadly mine are the same way... trail use only.
I dont like taking them out as people like to steal them . But the fact that you can pop them in half and throw them in the back is invaluable .

Crossmember bolted in place and the corners cut off .

Tacking it all up .

Beginning of the welds .

Hannah monkey the photographer / assistant approves .

The receiver tongue is marked up , just need to recess it through the front angle iron .

I hope to weld everything up this week , and have it on wheels by the weekend .

#407 ·
Looks good so far. I use rubber stripping between my trailer frames and tubs. You don't need anything super thick, but pucks may come in handy if your ride height is lower than you want.

Also have you made your mind up on what your going to do regarding an axle yet ?

#408 ·
Looks good so far. I use rubber stripping between my trailer frames and tubs. You don't need anything super thick, but pucks may come in handy if your ride height is lower than you want.

Also have you made your mind up on what your going to do regarding an axle yet ?
Northern has an American made 2000 lb axle with hubs and springs for $200 . Any thoughts ? This may sound silly , but where do you get the rubber? I have thought about using a garage door gasket cut into pieces ?

#416 ·
The free axle will work fine, just a little more work. It's been over a year since I calculated for tongue weight. Anything between 9 and 15 percent in the tongue is good. I know I went for the higher end just to be safe.

Pics of your donor axle ?

#417 ·
The free axle will work fine, just a little more work. It's been over a year since I calculated for tongue weight. Anything between 9 and 15 percent in the tongue is good. I know I went for the higher end just to be safe.

Pics of your donor axle ?
I am going to pick it up on Saturday , pics to follow . I have seen it once before and I am not going to lie , its fugly .

Got the tongue cut in and welded up . Also made the four other body mount supports .

Square and ready for welding .

Welded .

Frame is welded everywhere except the top . I will weld that when I pull the tub . The four center body mounts are cut and ready for top plates , hopefully I can finish welding them in tomorrow . I am picking up the axle on Saturday , hope to have it on wheels soon .

#428 ·
The guy that designed it is pretty ingenious , and did quite a bit of testing on it. I still plan on using it locally before I go on a long haul . If I could stand the noise of a pintle hitch that would make life a lot simpler .
Looking good I cant wait to see that thing rolling
Me too ! I am going to try and go get the new axle and missing spring plate today . I have decent donor tires waiting to go , the question is will they clear the trailer hub ?

#429 ·
G Beasley said:
The guy that designed it is pretty ingenious , and did quite a bit of testing on it. I still plan on using it locally before I go on a long haul . If I could stand the noise of a pintle hitch that would make life a lot simpler .

That's a pretty common hitch design, more or less. I do t see you having any problems.

Me too ! I am going to try and go get the new axle and missing spring plate today . I have decent donor tires waiting to go , the question is will they clear the trailer hub ?
Probably not, haha.

#432 ·

Nice clean and simple , I like it . The only thing I think I would add would be bronze sleeves and zerk joints . Or is that even needed ?
I am surprised to hear that the regular 2" ball wasnt giving you issues as it seems so limited when you put them together and see how little they move .

#433 ·
...actually our first prototype had zerks and were greasable. The thing was so heavy. So we decided to try this out and it's great.

The 2" inch ball was fine for camping and average wheeling IMO, but loud. The setup above is better and very quiet. But the other setup you are thinking about looks solid too.

#435 ·
...actually our first prototype had zerks and were greasable. The thing was so heavy. So we decided to try this out and it's great.

The 2" inch ball was fine for camping and average wheeling IMO, but loud. The setup above is better and very quiet. But the other setup you are thinking about looks solid too.
Still thinking it through, I love the simplicity of your design .

If your feeling lazy just go with a good old pintle hook setup :laugh:
No pintles for me , too much noise to deal with .

I did order my axle today , ended up going with a local supplier who is making one the width I need vs me buying one and hacking it up . It will be ready tomorrow afternoon , maybe with a little luck this thing will be on wheels by tomorrow night .

#441 ·
What time are you hitting the trails ?

Today was a rough day in the shop . First off my porta band threw a tire , then my drop band saw broke a blade and finally the vertical bandsaw threw the blade . And just to add insult to injury I had to put an oil sending switch into my wifes WJ for the second time as the first one didnt send a signal.

Once the WJ was taken care of I headed to Machine and Welding to get blades and parts . From there it was off to pick up the trailer axle and then home . Enough talking heres a few pictures .

No camber and a little bit of toe in should make for a nice towing trailer . It is a 3000 lb axle and it is 58.5" wide . The center pins are 29" apart . The u-bolt spring plates I have are to narrow , or I would have bolted the axle in tonight . Tomorrow I will make two plates and bolt the axle in .

The gspup hitch fabrication is under way . I still need to get a few more bolts , and do a little welding but its close .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.