Just another LJ build - Page 102 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Just another LJ build

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 07-18-2013, 09:56 PM   #1516
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The temperatures finally dropped after dinner , so as the kids took baths I snuck out ...

Gladiator grille conversion is complete .

1st full coat of paint is on . Tomorrow I will wet sand the entire trailer and put down the second coat . It will get much darker on the second and third coats if cures like the test section did .

More first coat pics .

Welded up the trim bracket . Tomorrow I need to go get some more angle to finish the trim and make a hinge mount up front .
Not sure if I will make it to the inspection station tomorrow morning after all . Theres still a lot of little stuff to do before I take it over , and I would rather put more time into labor than go over and fail .

Unread 07-19-2013, 09:54 PM   #1517
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Todays Jeeping
More sanding , but I also got to shoot another coat of paint on the trailer .

I used aircraft stripper and picks to clean the tailgate and there was no getting it 100% clean . It looked ok , but a quick phone call found a guy that was willing to sand blast it for $20 . This is what it looked like when I picked it up , there will be no more airplane stripper at this house !

The first coat of primer and paint are on , it needs a lot of wet sanding to slick up like the rest of the paint .

I thought blasting the hinges might make them bind up , but I figured what the heck they cant get worse. Surprisingly enough they pivot much smoother now and with a little oil they should be buttery smooth . The blasted surface takes primer and paint so nicely that I am motivated to get an even bigger blast cabinet so that I can blast larger items .

Close up of the second coat of paint . It is starting to shine a little more and its getting much darker . Tomorrow I will wet sand again , and I think the third coat of paint is going to be just about right ... or at least I hope so

Last paint picture for the evening . There is no way I could do paint and body for a living , it requires entirely too much patience
Unread 07-19-2013, 10:30 PM   #1518
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Todays Jeeping
Last paint picture for the evening . There is no way I could do paint and body for a living , it requires entirely too much patience
Its not really that bad. I have 19 years in the business. Trailer looks good so far.

What are you spraying it with? rattle can?
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2013, 10:49 PM   #1519
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
Its not really that bad. I have 19 years in the business. Trailer looks good so far.
Thanks , coming from you that means a lot .

Quote:
What are you spraying it with? rattle can?
Sadly yes , I am rattle canning it . I was able to get the color matched cans for half price which equals out to about $28 total versus $140 for a quart of base / clear with reducer and hardener.
Cost wasn't the only factor in picking rattle cans but it did matter in the whole make a $28 mistake or a $140 mistake argument . I also think fixing trail damage in the future will be much easier with the cans ,but my hands wish I was spraying with the HVLP gun . For now this will do , and it was an inexpensive way to get some color on the tub . Was it that easy for you to see what I was spraying?
Unread 07-20-2013, 08:46 PM   #1520
jforse
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

When is my trailer going to be done?
Unread 07-20-2013, 09:00 PM   #1521
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley
Was it that easy for you to see what I was spraying?
Yes, but only because I can tell the difference in the outcome. Spraying with rattle cans tends to show inconsistent patterns. And I always wonder why people sand between coats. Base coat clear coat was made to spray in a wet on wet application. In lay mans terms spraying never really stops. Start with base, wait 5-10 minutes and reapply base till proper coverage is obtained then spray with clear coat.

When cost is a factor I see why someone would go with rattle can over a true automotive finish.

Carry on, the trailer looks great.
Unread 07-21-2013, 09:00 AM   #1522
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jforse View Post
When is my trailer going to be done?
Sorry , I painted this one the wrong color

Quote:
Yes, but only because I can tell the difference in the outcome. Spraying with rattle cans tends to show inconsistent patterns.
I hate the streaking I got with the cans , and I kept a wet edge . Sometime this fall I will most likely shoot it with car paint as I dont like anything to be half way done .

Quote:
And I always wonder why people sand between coats. Base coat clear coat was made to spray in a wet on wet application. In lay mans terms spraying never really stops. Start with base, wait 5-10 minutes and reapply base till proper coverage is obtained then spray with clear coat.
The reason I was sanding between coats was to keep the paint smooth . There was a roughness to the paint in between coats and I thought it would show through . I had the garage clean , but theres still dust to contend with . Now if I knew a body guy who had a downdraft booth it would look entirely different

Quote:
When cost is a factor I see why someone would go with rattle can over a true automotive finish. Carry on, the trailer looks great.
The rattler's turned out ok , but I am going to invest in better paint this fall or winter . Until then this will keep everything from rusting and hopefully it matches the Jeep in the daylight now ... or at least from 50 feet
Unread 07-21-2013, 09:19 AM   #1523
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The paint looks good everywhere except the front panel , so I started putting everything back together . The flares were terribly faded so after I trimmed them to fit I used a heat gun to turn them black again .

You can see the difference in the flare in this picture . I was surprised at how well the heat gun trick worked . The process left a little blotchiness , but overall the flares look much better now than before . I still need to shoot another coat of paint on the tailgate , but I may leave that until I shoot car paint .

Definitely need another coat on the front panel .

Once its buffed I think a lot of the blotchiness will go away .

This is it for now , more this afternoon .
Unread 07-21-2013, 09:20 AM   #1524
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

During one of your many travels you should drop it off to me, I can make it look Sexy in a short weekend.

Still looks great as is man. You building me one?
Unread 07-21-2013, 09:24 AM   #1525
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Lookin good bud. You oughta Line-X your fenders while they do your tub .

Hell just Line-X the whole thing so you can shut me up!
Moabrubi is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2013, 11:50 AM   #1526
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
During one of your many travels you should drop it off to me, I can make it look Sexy in a short weekend.
Now that you have said that dont be alarmed if you wake up and its in front of your garage door .

Quote:
Still looks great as is man. You building me one?
You have one , its just attached to a truck

I am burnt out on trailer fabbing and I still have the tonneau to finish. Once the tonneau is complete I will start the coil correction, outboarding and regearing . Once thats all done , then I plan to build another trailer .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post
Lookin good bud. You oughta Line-X your fenders while they do your tub .

Hell just Line-X the whole thing so you can shut me up!
I have decided to LineX the inside of the tub instead of the DIY route .Its about double what Al's or Monster liner would cost but I know what to expect with Line-X . All along my goal was to build a trailer to match my Jeep , so the outside of the trailer will stay green .
Unread 07-21-2013, 01:16 PM   #1527
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I wanna see it with off road tires!!!
Unread 07-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #1528
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
I wanna see it with off road tires!!!
How about a video of me towing it ?
Unread 07-22-2013, 07:34 AM   #1529
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Yesterday I took the trailer out for its maiden run to see how it would tow on the road . When I first finished the tub I took it around the yard , but this was the first time I had it over 10 mph . I didnt know what to expect with it at speed , but it towed great. There was no hopping or wagging and best of all it was quiet .

You can see in this picture how much the trailer tub needs to be raised . Its not terrible and the 33's should make it sit about level with the LJ . Once the LJ gets 35's I think a spring over on the trailer will allow enough height to put 35's on the trailer with plenty of clearance .

Thats all the fabrication for now. I am off to work for the next six weeks , once I get back I will start working on the tonneau cover .
Unread 07-22-2013, 08:05 AM   #1530
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Looks great GB.
'87 MJ Comanche Chief - found in a field, now yard art
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
crappy paint , jana k4 , lj , needs to go wheeling , old man emu , rubicon unlimited , savvy offroad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.