Just another LJ build - Page 102 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Just another LJ build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 07-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #1516
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The temperatures finally dropped after dinner , so as the kids took baths I snuck out ...

Gladiator grille conversion is complete .

1st full coat of paint is on . Tomorrow I will wet sand the entire trailer and put down the second coat . It will get much darker on the second and third coats if cures like the test section did .

More first coat pics .

Welded up the trim bracket . Tomorrow I need to go get some more angle to finish the trim and make a hinge mount up front .
Not sure if I will make it to the inspection station tomorrow morning after all . Theres still a lot of little stuff to do before I take it over , and I would rather put more time into labor than go over and fail .

Unread 07-19-2013, 08:54 PM   #1517
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Todays Jeeping
More sanding , but I also got to shoot another coat of paint on the trailer .

I used aircraft stripper and picks to clean the tailgate and there was no getting it 100% clean . It looked ok , but a quick phone call found a guy that was willing to sand blast it for $20 . This is what it looked like when I picked it up , there will be no more airplane stripper at this house !

The first coat of primer and paint are on , it needs a lot of wet sanding to slick up like the rest of the paint .

I thought blasting the hinges might make them bind up , but I figured what the heck they cant get worse. Surprisingly enough they pivot much smoother now and with a little oil they should be buttery smooth . The blasted surface takes primer and paint so nicely that I am motivated to get an even bigger blast cabinet so that I can blast larger items .

Close up of the second coat of paint . It is starting to shine a little more and its getting much darker . Tomorrow I will wet sand again , and I think the third coat of paint is going to be just about right ... or at least I hope so

Last paint picture for the evening . There is no way I could do paint and body for a living , it requires entirely too much patience
Unread 07-19-2013, 09:30 PM   #1518
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Todays Jeeping
Last paint picture for the evening . There is no way I could do paint and body for a living , it requires entirely too much patience
Its not really that bad. I have 19 years in the business. Trailer looks good so far.

What are you spraying it with? rattle can?
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 09:49 PM   #1519
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
Its not really that bad. I have 19 years in the business. Trailer looks good so far.
Thanks , coming from you that means a lot .

Quote:
What are you spraying it with? rattle can?
Sadly yes , I am rattle canning it . I was able to get the color matched cans for half price which equals out to about $28 total versus $140 for a quart of base / clear with reducer and hardener.
Cost wasn't the only factor in picking rattle cans but it did matter in the whole make a $28 mistake or a $140 mistake argument . I also think fixing trail damage in the future will be much easier with the cans ,but my hands wish I was spraying with the HVLP gun . For now this will do , and it was an inexpensive way to get some color on the tub . Was it that easy for you to see what I was spraying?
Unread 07-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #1520
jforse
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

When is my trailer going to be done?
Unread 07-20-2013, 08:00 PM   #1521
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley
Was it that easy for you to see what I was spraying?
Yes, but only because I can tell the difference in the outcome. Spraying with rattle cans tends to show inconsistent patterns. And I always wonder why people sand between coats. Base coat clear coat was made to spray in a wet on wet application. In lay mans terms spraying never really stops. Start with base, wait 5-10 minutes and reapply base till proper coverage is obtained then spray with clear coat.

When cost is a factor I see why someone would go with rattle can over a true automotive finish.

Carry on, the trailer looks great.
Unread 07-21-2013, 08:00 AM   #1522
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jforse View Post
When is my trailer going to be done?
Sorry , I painted this one the wrong color

Quote:
Yes, but only because I can tell the difference in the outcome. Spraying with rattle cans tends to show inconsistent patterns.
I hate the streaking I got with the cans , and I kept a wet edge . Sometime this fall I will most likely shoot it with car paint as I dont like anything to be half way done .

Quote:
And I always wonder why people sand between coats. Base coat clear coat was made to spray in a wet on wet application. In lay mans terms spraying never really stops. Start with base, wait 5-10 minutes and reapply base till proper coverage is obtained then spray with clear coat.
The reason I was sanding between coats was to keep the paint smooth . There was a roughness to the paint in between coats and I thought it would show through . I had the garage clean , but theres still dust to contend with . Now if I knew a body guy who had a downdraft booth it would look entirely different

Quote:
When cost is a factor I see why someone would go with rattle can over a true automotive finish. Carry on, the trailer looks great.
The rattler's turned out ok , but I am going to invest in better paint this fall or winter . Until then this will keep everything from rusting and hopefully it matches the Jeep in the daylight now ... or at least from 50 feet
Unread 07-21-2013, 08:19 AM   #1523
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The paint looks good everywhere except the front panel , so I started putting everything back together . The flares were terribly faded so after I trimmed them to fit I used a heat gun to turn them black again .

You can see the difference in the flare in this picture . I was surprised at how well the heat gun trick worked . The process left a little blotchiness , but overall the flares look much better now than before . I still need to shoot another coat of paint on the tailgate , but I may leave that until I shoot car paint .

Definitely need another coat on the front panel .

Once its buffed I think a lot of the blotchiness will go away .

This is it for now , more this afternoon .
Unread 07-21-2013, 08:20 AM   #1524
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

During one of your many travels you should drop it off to me, I can make it look Sexy in a short weekend.

Still looks great as is man. You building me one?
Unread 07-21-2013, 08:24 AM   #1525
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Lookin good bud. You oughta Line-X your fenders while they do your tub .

Hell just Line-X the whole thing so you can shut me up!
Moabrubi is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #1526
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
During one of your many travels you should drop it off to me, I can make it look Sexy in a short weekend.
Now that you have said that dont be alarmed if you wake up and its in front of your garage door .

Quote:
Still looks great as is man. You building me one?
You have one , its just attached to a truck

I am burnt out on trailer fabbing and I still have the tonneau to finish. Once the tonneau is complete I will start the coil correction, outboarding and regearing . Once thats all done , then I plan to build another trailer .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post
Lookin good bud. You oughta Line-X your fenders while they do your tub .

Hell just Line-X the whole thing so you can shut me up!
I have decided to LineX the inside of the tub instead of the DIY route .Its about double what Al's or Monster liner would cost but I know what to expect with Line-X . All along my goal was to build a trailer to match my Jeep , so the outside of the trailer will stay green .
Unread 07-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #1527
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I wanna see it with off road tires!!!
Unread 07-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #1528
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
I wanna see it with off road tires!!!
How about a video of me towing it ?
Unread 07-22-2013, 06:34 AM   #1529
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Yesterday I took the trailer out for its maiden run to see how it would tow on the road . When I first finished the tub I took it around the yard , but this was the first time I had it over 10 mph . I didnt know what to expect with it at speed , but it towed great. There was no hopping or wagging and best of all it was quiet .

You can see in this picture how much the trailer tub needs to be raised . Its not terrible and the 33's should make it sit about level with the LJ . Once the LJ gets 35's I think a spring over on the trailer will allow enough height to put 35's on the trailer with plenty of clearance .

Thats all the fabrication for now. I am off to work for the next six weeks , once I get back I will start working on the tonneau cover .
Unread 07-22-2013, 07:05 AM   #1530
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Looks great GB.

Tags
crappy paint , jana k4 , lj , needs to go wheeling , old man emu , rubicon unlimited , savvy offroad

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.