Just another LJ build - Page 100 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Just another LJ build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 07-14-2013, 01:13 PM   #1486
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
The Raptor seems to be around $100 , did you need to buy anything else ?

Beryl Green to match my LJ . Whatever paint is the most durable is what I prefer Body work ... for me its done , you would probably puke if I asked you to spray it as is . The trailer is two tubs made into one and neither tub was perfect to start .
You need the spray gun. Not sure if that still comes with the kit or you have to buy it separately. I have one you could borrow if you want.

Either paint is durable, but base coat/clear coat is more expensive. We generally only do base coat/clear coat for metallic paints. Is beryl green a metallic? Body work drives the cost way up, and we dont paint over shoddy body work. Balls in your court.

Jankoid is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #1487
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak17
Apparently Al's is superior. I don't have any first hand experience, but will soon.
I would like to add my 2 cents, Als bedliner is Hard as hell to apply unless you buy a hopper gun of some kind. Do not buy the tintable liner because its titty pink unless you add way more paint than they call for. I personally will never use ALs again after my debacle spraying it in my truck and a friend's same debacle spraying the inside of his 49 mercury. 45 minutes of spraying and thinning with urethane reducer just to get it to come out of the gun.

I personally would stick with Raptor or a professional coated liner like line-X.
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 09:16 PM   #1488
G Beasley
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
You need the spray gun. Not sure if that still comes with the kit or you have to buy it separately. I have one you could borrow if you want.
Still reading about liners , for something so simple theres an awful lot of choices .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
Either paint is durable, but base coat/clear coat is more expensive. We generally only do base coat/clear coat for metallic paints. Is beryl green a metallic? Body work drives the cost way up, and we dont paint over shoddy body work. Balls in your court.
I think I am going to shoot it with some single stage myself as I need to control the budget with this whole not working thing . Plus theres the whole cost of professional bodywork part I want to avoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
I would like to add my 2 cents, Als bedliner is Hard as hell to apply unless you buy a hopper gun of some kind. Do not buy the tintable liner because its titty pink unless you add way more paint than they call for. I personally will never use ALs again after my debacle spraying it in my truck and a friend's same debacle spraying the inside of his 49 mercury. 45 minutes of spraying and thinning with urethane reducer just to get it to come out of the gun.

I personally would stick with Raptor or a professional coated liner like line-X.
I got nothing against boobers , in fact I love them ... but I dont want bedliner that color Al's liner is out , thanks for saving me the reading .

I thought I was done sanding .

Thankfully the drivers side of the trailer is about done ! The passenger side doesnt need as much attention , so maybe the sanding will end this week ? The trailer is ready to be inspected , but I am going to wait until the bodywork and paint are done later this week .
Unread 07-15-2013, 06:43 PM   #1489
G Beasley
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Test paint is on and looks good . Cant wait to get this whole thing one color , pics tonight ?

For now its off for a Jeep ride / supply run .
Unread 07-15-2013, 09:55 PM   #1490
G Beasley
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

The jeep ride was great as the temperature was dropping the whole time we were out and about . After a stop at Advance for supplies and Cookout for some shakes we headed down to the river .

Nothing rough but a nice gravel road down to the river bank to check out the flow to see if we can go tubing tomorrow .

1st coat is on , its dull from wet sanding .

Another angle of the sorta shiny faded paint as Billy calls it .

Tomorrow is going to be a big shocker ... more sanding ! And some paint too , then some wet sanding followed by paint . Worst yet is I still have to strip the CJ tailgate and it has three layers of sandpaper eating badness built up . I tried 3M safer stripper and it did nothing to the finish other than clump up in fear . Next up is Kleen Strip airplane stripper which has lots of stern warnings printed on the package . The warnings coupled with danger! on the can means it has to be good right ? The plan is to apply the aircraft stripper outside over top of an old box to catch the toxic runoff and avoid future super fund status .
Unread 07-15-2013, 10:09 PM   #1491
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The paint is gonna look schweet!
Unread 07-15-2013, 10:25 PM   #1492
G Beasley
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspup View Post
The paint is gonna look schweet!
Thanks , I sure hope it turns out nice with all this durn sanding ! The color is close after the first few coats . As the coats build up it should get a little darker and end up being a really close match .
Unread 07-15-2013, 10:46 PM   #1493
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks , I sure hope it turns out nice with all this durn sanding ! The color is close after the first few coats . As the coats build up it should get a little darker and end up being a really close match .
What are you doing for tires...what size is gonna get you the perfect ride height ? I found spring under with 35's was a little low...spring over with 32's was about perfect. I'm curious to see where it all ends up.
Unread 07-15-2013, 10:48 PM   #1494
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

You got me thinking about building a trailer now. I hate you

I'll definitely have to regear first though.
Moabrubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 10:51 PM   #1495
G Beasley
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What are you doing for tires...what size is gonna get you the perfect ride height ? I found spring under with 35's was a little low...spring over with 32's was about perfect. I'm curious to see where it all ends up.
I have 3 33x95 Kellys I was going to use on the trailer but with the LJ getting 35s , I was thinking that I would need the same for the trailer . Ideally the trailer and LJ would have the same size tires so that they could share one spare tire . Not sure what I going to do other than sand and paint
Unread 07-15-2013, 10:52 PM   #1496
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post

Blasphemy. Trailer first then gears
Unread 07-15-2013, 10:54 PM   #1497
G Beasley
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post

Re-gearing will commence this fall once the funds build back up . Til then it will 4th and 5th gear trailer towing action

Quote:
Blasphemy. Trailer first then gears
Speaking of that , when are you re gearing
Unread 07-16-2013, 11:19 AM   #1498
G Beasley
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Today's Sanding
The tub is fully wet sanded and ready to be fully sprayed once the front filler panel is fastened . So far I am impressed with the aircraft stripper . It is chewing through the layers of paint on the tailgate pretty quickly . I have found that a straight edge razor gets the paint up around the edges that doesnt want to lift up .

Also got the Gladiator grill sanded and sprayed with a silver metallic . As its drying it looks like old faded chrome which is perfect for Blue . Busy day so far and best of all it looks like I am trading Red for a
And I get a little cash too !
Unread 07-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #1499
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Cool. I am sure you will put it to use.
'87 MJ Comanche Chief - found in a field, now yard art
70s J10 with J20 axles - yard art too
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 01:12 PM   #1500
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Today's Sanding

Also got the Gladiator grill sanded and sprayed with a silver metallic . As its drying it looks like old faded chrome which is perfect for Blue . Busy day so far and best of all it looks like I am trading Red for a
And I get a little cash too !
Are you sure you know how to use that thing ?

Tags
crappy paint , jana k4 , lj , needs to go wheeling , old man emu , rubicon unlimited , savvy offroad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.