Just another LJ build - Page 100 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Just another LJ build

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDRear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can

Unread 07-14-2013, 12:13 PM   #1486
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
The Raptor seems to be around $100 , did you need to buy anything else ?

Beryl Green to match my LJ . Whatever paint is the most durable is what I prefer Body work ... for me its done , you would probably puke if I asked you to spray it as is . The trailer is two tubs made into one and neither tub was perfect to start .
You need the spray gun. Not sure if that still comes with the kit or you have to buy it separately. I have one you could borrow if you want.

Either paint is durable, but base coat/clear coat is more expensive. We generally only do base coat/clear coat for metallic paints. Is beryl green a metallic? Body work drives the cost way up, and we dont paint over shoddy body work. Balls in your court.

Jankoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #1487
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak17
Apparently Al's is superior. I don't have any first hand experience, but will soon.
I would like to add my 2 cents, Als bedliner is Hard as hell to apply unless you buy a hopper gun of some kind. Do not buy the tintable liner because its titty pink unless you add way more paint than they call for. I personally will never use ALs again after my debacle spraying it in my truck and a friend's same debacle spraying the inside of his 49 mercury. 45 minutes of spraying and thinning with urethane reducer just to get it to come out of the gun.

I personally would stick with Raptor or a professional coated liner like line-X.
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 08:16 PM   #1488
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
You need the spray gun. Not sure if that still comes with the kit or you have to buy it separately. I have one you could borrow if you want.
Still reading about liners , for something so simple theres an awful lot of choices .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
Either paint is durable, but base coat/clear coat is more expensive. We generally only do base coat/clear coat for metallic paints. Is beryl green a metallic? Body work drives the cost way up, and we dont paint over shoddy body work. Balls in your court.
I think I am going to shoot it with some single stage myself as I need to control the budget with this whole not working thing . Plus theres the whole cost of professional bodywork part I want to avoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
I would like to add my 2 cents, Als bedliner is Hard as hell to apply unless you buy a hopper gun of some kind. Do not buy the tintable liner because its titty pink unless you add way more paint than they call for. I personally will never use ALs again after my debacle spraying it in my truck and a friend's same debacle spraying the inside of his 49 mercury. 45 minutes of spraying and thinning with urethane reducer just to get it to come out of the gun.

I personally would stick with Raptor or a professional coated liner like line-X.
I got nothing against boobers , in fact I love them ... but I dont want bedliner that color Al's liner is out , thanks for saving me the reading .

I thought I was done sanding .

Thankfully the drivers side of the trailer is about done ! The passenger side doesnt need as much attention , so maybe the sanding will end this week ? The trailer is ready to be inspected , but I am going to wait until the bodywork and paint are done later this week .
Unread 07-15-2013, 05:43 PM   #1489
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Test paint is on and looks good . Cant wait to get this whole thing one color , pics tonight ?

For now its off for a Jeep ride / supply run .
Unread 07-15-2013, 08:55 PM   #1490
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The jeep ride was great as the temperature was dropping the whole time we were out and about . After a stop at Advance for supplies and Cookout for some shakes we headed down to the river .

Nothing rough but a nice gravel road down to the river bank to check out the flow to see if we can go tubing tomorrow .

1st coat is on , its dull from wet sanding .

Another angle of the sorta shiny faded paint as Billy calls it .

Tomorrow is going to be a big shocker ... more sanding ! And some paint too , then some wet sanding followed by paint . Worst yet is I still have to strip the CJ tailgate and it has three layers of sandpaper eating badness built up . I tried 3M safer stripper and it did nothing to the finish other than clump up in fear . Next up is Kleen Strip airplane stripper which has lots of stern warnings printed on the package . The warnings coupled with danger! on the can means it has to be good right ? The plan is to apply the aircraft stripper outside over top of an old box to catch the toxic runoff and avoid future super fund status .
Unread 07-15-2013, 09:09 PM   #1491
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The paint is gonna look schweet!
Unread 07-15-2013, 09:25 PM   #1492
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspup View Post
The paint is gonna look schweet!
Thanks , I sure hope it turns out nice with all this durn sanding ! The color is close after the first few coats . As the coats build up it should get a little darker and end up being a really close match .
Unread 07-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #1493
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks , I sure hope it turns out nice with all this durn sanding ! The color is close after the first few coats . As the coats build up it should get a little darker and end up being a really close match .
What are you doing for tires...what size is gonna get you the perfect ride height ? I found spring under with 35's was a little low...spring over with 32's was about perfect. I'm curious to see where it all ends up.
Unread 07-15-2013, 09:48 PM   #1494
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

You got me thinking about building a trailer now. I hate you

I'll definitely have to regear first though.
Moabrubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 09:51 PM   #1495
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What are you doing for tires...what size is gonna get you the perfect ride height ? I found spring under with 35's was a little low...spring over with 32's was about perfect. I'm curious to see where it all ends up.
I have 3 33x95 Kellys I was going to use on the trailer but with the LJ getting 35s , I was thinking that I would need the same for the trailer . Ideally the trailer and LJ would have the same size tires so that they could share one spare tire . Not sure what I going to do other than sand and paint
Unread 07-15-2013, 09:52 PM   #1496
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post

Blasphemy. Trailer first then gears
Unread 07-15-2013, 09:54 PM   #1497
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post

Re-gearing will commence this fall once the funds build back up . Til then it will 4th and 5th gear trailer towing action

Quote:
Blasphemy. Trailer first then gears
Speaking of that , when are you re gearing
Unread 07-16-2013, 10:19 AM   #1498
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Today's Sanding
The tub is fully wet sanded and ready to be fully sprayed once the front filler panel is fastened . So far I am impressed with the aircraft stripper . It is chewing through the layers of paint on the tailgate pretty quickly . I have found that a straight edge razor gets the paint up around the edges that doesnt want to lift up .

Also got the Gladiator grill sanded and sprayed with a silver metallic . As its drying it looks like old faded chrome which is perfect for Blue . Busy day so far and best of all it looks like I am trading Red for a
And I get a little cash too !
Unread 07-16-2013, 10:36 AM   #1499
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Cool. I am sure you will put it to use.

Looking for a set of dana 30 shafts for a TJ or XJ, stock and good condition. PM me if you have a set and willing to ship or are in LA.
dayriesw is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #1500
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Today's Sanding

Also got the Gladiator grill sanded and sprayed with a silver metallic . As its drying it looks like old faded chrome which is perfect for Blue . Busy day so far and best of all it looks like I am trading Red for a
And I get a little cash too !
Are you sure you know how to use that thing ?

Tags
crappy paint , jana k4 , lj , needs to go wheeling , old man emu , rubicon unlimited , savvy offroad

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.