Just another LJ build - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Just another LJ build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 05-15-2012, 07:00 PM   #136
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Pinion is set ! Took another round of adjusting , but its dead on now at ride height .

Loaded up old faithful with the leftovers from the jeep tub trailer project .

Came back with 40' of 1.75 dom . Being on the road is tough , I am working on the house / yard / honey dos then last is the Jeep . More tomorrow .

Unread 05-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #137
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Tilted the pinion up and now the shocks hit . I looked at making a tera flex style shock mover , but after reading the forum I decided to grind the buckets until I outboard the shocks later this summer .

So out came the grinder .

After getting everything clearanced I put this brace on the trac bar . Hopefully it will take a little of the stress off of the mount .

I used Robert Hollis's hose clamp trick to locate the e brake cables .

All the work over the last few days was just to get this underneath the LJ .

After I double checked everything I took it out for an hour or so of Jeep therapy . No vibrations and everything was smooth . This is a little trail out back that goes up on to a knoll , nothing too exciting but its close by .

And a little flex checking the coil buckets out in the front yard .

More to come , cage starts tomorrow ? I think the honey do's are caught up ? Just cant let her know or she will make a new list .
Unread 05-16-2012, 09:02 PM   #138
JeepinAaron
2003 WJ 

Looking good.
Unread 05-16-2012, 10:00 PM   #139
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Looking good man. I can't wait to finish mine up.
dongalonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 08:16 AM   #140
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinAaron View Post
Looking good.
Thanks , I might make it up to Boone in a few weeks . Maybe we can hit Richfield Road ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongalonga View Post
Looking good man. I can't wait to finish mine up.
Arent you still waiting on Brown Santa ? Beleive it or not I am about to hit the three year mark for working on mine . It doesnt seem that long , but thats how long it has taken to get it to this point . When I was younger and it was just me I would have done this in a month . With that being said I wouldnt change a thing if I could ... see below

Now its time for some father daughter fabbing .

My daughter chucked up the receiver in the mill vise . With a little coaching she got it exactly where it needed to be .
This was her first time using the drill press , she was excited to use it . Once we were done she wanted to know when she could use the plasma cutter

And this is why we drilled the receiver . I wanted to french the receiver in as far as I could for aesthetics , and departure angle . So I flipped the receiver on its side while I was making the bumper and this is how it turned out . As an added bonus you can make the receiver less likely to be stolen if you lock the tailgate. For me this is a moot point , as I never lock the LJ .

I am off to get new tires(stock) for my wifes WJ , then maybe a little fabbing this afternoon .
Unread 05-17-2012, 01:57 PM   #141
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Brown Santa came today and will be back tomorrow and Monday. Brown Santa told me my house is his least favorite stop....I'm not kidding he really did
Unread 05-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #142
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Brown Santa came today and will be back tomorrow and Monday. Brown Santa told me my house is his least favorite stop....I'm not kidding he really did
They dont like the weight . Now get to to work !

On a side note after driving the LJ the last two days , I have an odd popping noise coming from the rear now that didnt exist before . It is most noticeable under load in second and third gear . Maybe its the springs as they are bowed now ? I am going to re check everything tomorrow and see if anything stands out .

I did get to drop off my sheetmetal at the machine shop so I can begin my locking trunk project .

And on a super positive note I got a recall for the OPDA which I replaced last fall . I was bummed initially , but it looks like Chrysler is going to re imburse me for labor and the OPDA .
Unread 05-21-2012, 01:51 PM   #143
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Allergies are kicking my butt ,and progress has stopped . I decided to go ahead and order my steering today and make some progress . I called up Gerald @ Savvy and told him I wanted to order some steering , when he asked which one I said "Rugged Ridge " He was quiet for a moment and then laughed when he realized I was joking

So the last ultimate Currie setup he had is on the way to my house . Great service as always from Savvy .
Unread 05-23-2012, 08:02 PM   #144
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Somehow I lost one of the tie in brackets from the old receiver .

So I chopped this up .

And this is what it turned into .

I also needed something to attach my safety chains too .

Sawzall love equals saftery chain attachements .

Also got the cage stripped of padding and started getting it ready for some tube work .
Hopefully tommorow will be a productive day . The rain over the last few days has knocked
down the pollen and I am back in fabricating mode .
I did figure out my popping noise , it was mis-torqued control arms . Nice and quiet on the road now .
Unread 05-23-2012, 11:04 PM   #145
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Hahahaha way to throw Gerald through a loop. You will love that steering.
Unread 05-24-2012, 01:09 PM   #146
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hahahaha way to throw Gerald through a loop. You will love that steering.
I am hoping it will get here tomorrow , I need to install it so I can drive out west with the LJ .

I have been grinding , notching and welding all day . Should have some good cage pics posted tonight .
Unread 05-24-2012, 09:43 PM   #147
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

First thing I did was cut the front bracket off the stock bar . A little work with the flapper wheel and the o.d. of the bracket matched the i.d. of the 1.75 tubing .

After measuring and fitting at least a dozen times the sides are in and the door surrounds fit perfect .

Passennger side in and tacked .

Drivers side in .

Top spreader is in ! My door prop worked great to hold the cage at the correct height .

First A pillar is in .

Take your time with this cut . I am going to make a template and upload it with the hope that it will help someone out .

One trick me and my buddy figured out is to cut the triangle attaching point in the red circle off of the bottom of the a.c. duct . This allows you to slide the duct forward and it makes all the difference in the world getting the A pillars to fit . The diffusers are a little stiff but are still adjustable and the A pillar holds the duct in place .

If your thinking of making your own cage , be forewarned getting the A pillars in place is tough . I had awesome help and it still took 8 long hours to get done what you see above .
Unread 05-26-2012, 08:42 AM   #148
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Looks good g. I want to redo the front of my cage and run it the way you are. I added a pad between my cage to windshield tie in to prevent some rattling.
Unread 05-26-2012, 07:56 PM   #149
JAngeli
1999 TJ Wrangler 

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...frontmount.jpg

A bit off topic. The soft top door frame, does the front of it slip into the gap of that front weatherstrip? I just got my TJ a few weeks ago and just installed the soft top door frames and I had to spread that gap because I think the PO did not install it properly and crushed that gap together.
JAngeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2012, 08:56 PM   #150
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
Looks good g. I want to redo the front of my cage and run it the way you are. I added a pad between my cage to windshield tie in to prevent some rattling.
I hope I dont end up with too many rattles from this . It fits nice ,but getting the tubing snaked through behind the ducts was rough .

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAngeli View Post
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...frontmount.jpg

A bit off topic. The soft top door frame, does the front of it slip into the gap of that front weatherstrip? I just got my TJ a few weeks ago and just installed the soft top door frames and I had to spread that gap because I think the PO did not install it properly and crushed that gap together.
On mine they butt together , but its a flush fit .

Tags
crappy paint , jana k4 , lj , needs to go wheeling , old man emu , rubicon unlimited , savvy offroad

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.