Just another LJ build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Just another LJ build

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 06-21-2010, 08:02 PM   #1
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Retro Rubicon LJ build

I havent had a 4wd that could be driven on the highway in a long time and I was getting tired of trailering everywhere so I started looking for a LJ Rubicon last Thanksgiving . Within a week I found this with 60k miles for a great deal and it was semi local .

This is the first picture I took of it once I unloaded it from the trailer . The next day I took it out back to have a little fun .

I immediatley liked the softer ride than I had in my samurai , but it was lacking some in capability . I knew with some time and research it would be much more capable , but for the time being I contented myself with cleaning it , getting a new top and some Line X .

I removed everything from the LJ and added a custom milk crate seat . I trailered it over to Line X and then when I got it home I put it all back together just in time to drive up to Lake Erie for work . (Seeing a trailer habit yet )

This was the 1st time in 7 years I hadnt driven a dually CTD Dodge on a trip and I really enjoyed the TJ . So I went full bore into researching here on JF and ROF and I ordered up an Old Man Emu super ultimate setup from DPG offroad .

I came home from six weeks on the road and this is what I had waiting for the Rubicon .

The thread has gotten a little long heres a spoiler pic of what the LJ looks like as of August 2013 .

Unread 06-21-2010, 08:26 PM   #2
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I went ahead and put the 33x12.5 Destination MTs on with no lift just to see how bad it was going to be ...

Before during and after .

It wasnt driveable but I sure liked how it looked a lot better .

The lift I went with is med OME coils and JKS adjustable short arms . I want to keep my rig low and stable as I want my wife and kids to enjoy being on the trail . I have also gotten older and dont feel the need to make the hard line every time anymore , heck I am just happy to get in the woods away from society on a rocky road .

1st up was the coils so that I could get them in pretty quick and still drive the jeep if I wanted to .

I removed the swaybar links and then moved on to the shock .

Drivers side shock came out nicely , but the passenger side had to have the shaft cut with a cut off wheel .

Then the spring came out .

Heres the OME next to the stock Rubicon spring .

Next up was to install the bump stop , I think the spring pad is made from depleted uranium as it is thick and took a while to drill . A little cutting oil helped a lot and I used the self drilling screw to cut in the threads .
Once it was all test fit I removed the bumpstop and put it inside the coil spring . Then I pushed it into place with the help of a spring compressor . Once it was in place I reached through the coil with a 1/4" ratchet and ran the screw in .

And heres the first corner completed .
Unread 06-21-2010, 08:37 PM   #3
kyle1228
1987 XJ Cherokee 

You literally have exactly what I'm looking into! You have a great looking Jeep on your hands. Good luck with the lift!
kyle1228 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2010, 08:39 PM   #4
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I decided to yank the trac bar and drill out the mount .

Impact chisel with a pickle fork adapter is your friend .

Wrestled the drill into place and drilled the hole out .

The other side came out easy and it went back in fine .
Unread 06-21-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Rear spring and shock swapped out . I got lucky and all of the bolts came out pretty easy .

Heres the links cut down and with the threads cleaned up .

I had to cut the new links down so it gave me an excuse to use the bandsaw and grinder .
Unread 06-21-2010, 08:58 PM   #6
Skytard
1997 TJ Wrangler 

looks good, how much lift?
Unread 06-21-2010, 09:16 PM   #7
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Went ahead and put the JKS arms in on the rear .

It went well once I ignored the directions . The directions said to remove one arm at a time and , but I found it much easier to swap them in pairs .

The rear trac bar went in at the same time and it was perfect the first try . I was very happy to say the least .

I swapped the front arms out in pairs and it went pretty nice too .

This is what it looked like with the suspension and body lift finished . And this is where it stands for now . I have a Savvy gas tank skid ready to go in and I am going to bend up a cage next . I will post more pics when I make some more progress .

The only thing left to buy is the Savvy under armor . I am making my bumpers and sliders and then its finished ... hahahahahaha .
Unread 06-21-2010, 09:41 PM   #8
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle1228 View Post
You literally have exactly what I'm looking into! You have a great looking Jeep on your hands. Good luck with the lift!
Thanks , I hope yours will work out as well for you as mine has for me .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyler1997TJ View Post
looks good, how much lift?
Thanks . It has a 2.5" OME coil lift with a 1.25" JKS body lift . I have about 500 miles on it now and I love how it rides vs stock .
Unread 07-05-2010, 09:11 PM   #9
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have been driving the LJ more and more and last night I took my family out in it for the 1st time to go see the fireworks . On the way home a deer leaped in front of us and went into the grill .

I think I may try to put the inner section of a CJ grill out and weld it into the now bent TJ grill . The fenders are going to get cut flat and I have a new bumper ready to weld up . I have been on hold build wise as my wife had me do this .

Now that the deer has attacked , I am free to work on the rubicon again .
Unread 02-02-2011, 08:10 PM   #10
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I got the antirock on last month , no complaints with it at all . Pretty easy to install and I dont notice it on the road . Best of all no more disco'ing when I get to the trail .

Started out by measuring ten times and drilling the holes for the JK signals .
I used a 3 and a 1/4" holesaw and it was the perfect size for the housings I got from Rock Auto .

Fished the wires back through the newly drilled and painted signal hole . I was able to use an existing hole for the wires .
I used a sawzall blade with light pressure to cut notches in the light flanges so I could index the lights to tighten them and not use silicone to hold the housings in .
Here you can see the notch . I offset the slots in the grill so these go in then twist an 1/8th of a turn . They are very tight but fit great .
The first light is in and wired .
Deer damage getting ready to go away .
Detail of the wiring , there was plenty of length for the fog light connection . I used an existing hole on the bottom of the grill to drop the fog light wiring through . If I didnt have body lift this would have been a tight fit .
I painted all the exposed surfaces with Mopar touch up paint . It blends in pretty nicely .
Heres the drivers side wiring all snaked through . I did have to pull the coolant reservoir to gain access to the hole to snake the wiring through .

Passenger side completed .
Finito !

From the side .
Time to start the tube work on the front . I think it will look a lot like the Rokmen when its done . I could make something different ,but the Merc is perfection to me .

I also picked up a dana 44 for my wifes XJ . I think I am going to put an OX locker in it before it goes back in . Gotta keep my wife happy and I think I am pretty lucky that a Dana 44 made her happy .
Unread 02-04-2011, 09:45 PM   #11
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I bent up the front hoop and got it all fitted to the bumper plate . The duct tape lets me stand back and look at the position of the tubing as I go along . Hopefully tomorrow I will get the two other tubes notched and tacked in place . Then I can pull the entire assembly off and finish welding it .
Unread 02-04-2011, 10:09 PM   #12
Skytard
1997 TJ Wrangler 

not a big fan of the LJ but your doing a great job. Keep up the good work.
Unread 02-04-2011, 10:19 PM   #13
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

LJs seem to have a love hate fan base . When I got it I needed the space for the kids and my wifes stuff more than anything , but once I rode some distance in it I was in love . I do have a CJ 5 so I like the short wheelbase stuff too , but its for playing around out back or short trips ... it sucks to get old .
Thanks for the kind words , I have had a lot of fun building this one .
Unread 02-05-2011, 01:18 AM   #14
verman
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thank you for documenting your build, it will help immensely when my parts arrive from DPG.
verman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2011, 01:33 AM   #15
MCObray

Love the stance & color of your LJ. I'm puzzled on how people don't like LJ's... they look a lot better than TJ's in my book.

Tags
crappy paint , jana k4 , lj , needs to go wheeling , old man emu , rubicon unlimited , savvy offroad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.