Joshua106's WJ (High Schooler) Build Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Joshua106's WJ (High Schooler) Build Thread

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-22-2013, 01:26 PM   #1
joshua106
2004 WJ 

Joshua106's WJ (High Schooler) Build Thread

Hey Guys (& Gals?),
Let's start off with a little about me, I'm almost 16, I'm almost finished with my sophomore year in high school and I got my first jeep in January! I've wanted to start a build thread for a while, but never really got up to it. So here's the jeep at the moment of writing this thread:

It's a 4.7L V8. (Not High-Output)

She's a 2004 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4. It has quadra-drive, so it's all time 4x4(No, it's not AWD ) So here's everything from the beginning:

The dealership photo:

First thing I did, I put on the bullbar, but that didn't work out exactly as planned, and apparently the bolt holes on the frame are different on the 99-03 to 04, so my uncle welded it on, while he was helping me change the diff oil, which was another problem we ran into. I'll explain later.

After that I put on the Rola Roof Rack, and 1.25" wheel spacers from Rough Country. I really like how it changed the stance. Looks nice to me.

Snowed in my town, a couple months ago.

After I did all that, I started to focus on the inside. Now, don't judge me when I show you my sub setup, its 100% temporary. My infinity speakers were struggling with the bass, so when I bought my Alpine CDE-HD137BT I set the high/low pass filter to send all the bass to the rear sub.

Alpine CDE-HD137BT

The Power Inverter (It will make sense in a second)

The Temporary Set-up

Now, I know you're thinking, 'OMG, you're gonna burn down your jeep with all that house wiring.' I have run this setup for hours at a time. and nothing is hot and nothing is malfunctioning. I know it seems ghetto, but I don't have much money, and it sounds decent to be what it is. You see nothing except for this one little wire when its all covered up with the rear cargo cover and the glove box is closed:

Yes, I know I have a scooby-doo matte, its for my 11-month old little sister. It used to be mine when my dad had his Dodge Ram.

I think that's it for now. Next, I haven't quite decided what to do. I have a couple things in mind.
It's between a iPad Mini in the dash (I measured, it would fit perfectly) and getting a more permanent audio setup. Or, getting a 4" Rough Country or 3" IRO Lift. Let me know what you guys think!

joshua106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 07:21 AM   #2
joshua106
2004 WJ 

Managed to get this on the way to the beach.
But, there was little to no wind on it since I was riding behind my dads camper the whole way.
image-152388938.jpg  
Unread 07-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #3
joshua106
2004 WJ 

A little while ago I got the sound system updated to be not so ghetto.
Here's what I got:

Sounds really good to be only ~500 watts!

Got new tires!
235/65/17 All Terrains. I like 'em.

First time I ever really got mud on it or anything like that.

It poured down rain like crazy while I was at a freind's house. Sooo it flooded pretty bad. Got a couple pretty cool pictures going through it. Somehow I messed up my ABS, but no light?

Took it down a trail! It was really really soft.

Bottomed out.... Had to dig out the ruts with plastic panel remover tools and got it some grip. Pulled right now after a little work.

Two of my favorite pictures of my jeep:

The finished project of the trail ride:

Aaaaaand, Finally this past weekend loaded up and ready to go home. (My dad was also hooked up to the camper behind me..)
Unread 07-07-2013, 11:52 PM   #4
DpDave
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I had almost the identical Jeep a few years ago, but ended up trading it because I was doing a lot of miles on the interstate, and felt more comfy in a bigger truck. I wound up with a chevy 3500 dually... it was bigger. The Jeep was a nice vehicle though. I'm curious to see where you go with it. I don't think I've seen one of these year models realistically modded before.

Oh, and Scooby Doo rocks!

My Build Thread:
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/third-monkey-yj-overbuild-1521567/#post15416939"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/third-monkey-yj-overbuild-1521567/#post15416939[/URL]
DpDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
joshua106
2004 WJ 

Got Death Wobble today... I had a freind with me and he freaked out. "WHAT WAS THAT?!? OMG WHAT IS THAT?!?"
I probably would have freaked out to if I hadnt of read a bunch about it. So, as soon as it did its thing, I knew what it was. Got under it to look and everything looked pretty good but we took it to the shop. I could have replaced it myself if I knew exactly what it was, but my dad would rather take it to a shop. So don't have a vehicle till mid next week... and I'm going to the beach all weekend with no ride. awesome.......
Unread 08-19-2013, 04:55 PM   #6
joshua106
2004 WJ 

Well, the shop we took it to just put another steering stabilizer on it. I know it's not the problem, but it works for now.

It's been a good week for her:
-Changed the oil (little past due )
-Replaced K&N drop in with a FRAM filter (for now, until i have the money to buy the K&N cleaner stuff)
-Changed my spare tire well into a storage compartment
-Moved spare to roof rack, and put a cover on it, since its the ugly spare rim
-Painted the grill(two tone: gunmetal inside, black outside)
-De-badged the whole thing!
-Removed the pinstripe (little bit of fading. not bad though)

Unread 09-09-2013, 08:22 PM   #7
joshua106
2004 WJ 

Well, death wobble came back today. Did it once and I just decided to turn around and go get the part. I tried the track bar first because the frame-bushing was totally shot, and I knew it. But, it was driving fine so I wasn't complaining. Got a non-adjustable replacement from Carquest Auto Parts, and it was a slight odd fit. It seemed as though it was a little too bent, but we got it installed. Now, my steering is tight and I don't have death wobble anymore

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.