Joopacabra - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Joopacabra

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 08-17-2013, 11:16 AM   #16
mustanggarage
1990 YJ Wrangler 

ok. so after I did that much I just drove it that way for a while till it got warm out then my daughter wanted to take the top off it and put a bikini top on it for summer and I wanted to look at what was wrong with the weatherstripping.
so I put a power hoist a top in.

and pulled the top. I found several issues with the seals, first the drivers side corner was missing the corner piece. there was some of the old drivers door weatherstripping stuck to the top, but most importantly I think was that the aftermarket roll bar was not adjusted properly. the adjustment slot was not long enough so they could not tilt the windshield back to the proper position so it leaned forward about a 1/2 inch to far leaving a big gap and making the top not fit right. so I spent a little time with a drill and a dremel until I got the windshield to fit properly. then I took a look at the top.

don't get me wrong this jeep is in great shape for how old it is, there is some small problems here and there and this is a project vehicle so I have to find something to tinker with right?
anyway as I said above the front metal trim piece was rusted.

it doesn't copy well but the old window tinting is coming off in places and there are bid holes in it.

the wire to the rear defroster is broken, I don't know if the rest of the system works or not. that is something I still need to sort out.

the good news is the wiper works. the dome light does not.

anyway this is how it looks today.

you can't see him to well but my buddy Josh, my shop dog is in the back seat. he loves the joopacabra. all my dogs love to go for rides, but Josh is the only one I know won't jump out while I am in the store or whatever.

ok next task is to start working on the top. My Daughter started 10th grade on wednesday. she has her school permit so she can drive to school. she is afraid to take her mustang so she wants to take the joop unless it rains so I need to get the top back on it pretty soon. it needs a fair amount of work but nothing major. a coat of paint inside and out, some new weatherstripping and some elbow grease. hopefully I will get it finished and back on next week. I am going to paint the inside bright white with appliance epoxy enamel and the outside semi gloss black. I thought about painting it the tan color because I liked the look of it when I got it, but I decided black would be easier to touch up when the inevitable booboos occur.

so I have a bunch of parts waiting to be installed and a jeep top ready to be freshened up a bit. I will post up some more once I get the top done.

mustanggarage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2013, 11:28 AM   #17
mustanggarage
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I almost forgot I also put on my refueling assist.
Unread 08-19-2013, 12:17 AM   #18
mustanggarage
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have been working pretty hard on the jeep top in my copious free time this weekend lol. anyway this is what I have accomplished.

first I spent a lot of time on the inside with a scotch brite and wax and grease remover. then I masked the whole thing off, and painted the inside bright white. then I set it down on some buckets to work on the outside.

then I read on here that many people had successfully used a roller to paint the top. I was unsure about that but I decided to give it a try. we decided to use semigloss black paint. first because that is what my daughter wanted and second because I thought it would be easier to touch up later. anyway...

then I lifted it up again and put the new window trim and seals in place, and spent several hours scraping 2 layers of window tint off the windows. I would like to re-tint it at some point but the old stuff had to go as it was peeling off and looked like crap.

I think it looks pretty good.

now I have to do something that I am of two minds about. I have decided that I am going to put carpet in there. I like the fact that the jeep is bed lined, however last winter the floor was very cold and it has lots of drain holes in it. I decided the best way to "winterize" the inside a bit more, besides just fixing the weatherstripping, was to carpet it. I will have to keep a close eye on it to make sure the carpet is not getting and staying wet. I know it is not an ideal situation and will likely get me flamed, but as I said the main purpose in this jeep is be a cold weather rig. so I will have to make compromises on what I would like to do. anyway the carpet is bought and is in the process of being shipped. it should be here soon. I am going to wait to put the top on until after I get the carpet in to make it a bit easier to work on it.
Unread 08-19-2013, 06:06 AM   #19
SurferJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Just read every post. Beautiful Mustang... and a Very clean jeep. She seems to be coming along nicely. Oh and great shop. Wish I had something like that to work in.
SurferJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2013, 12:01 PM   #20
mustanggarage
1990 YJ Wrangler 

yesterday I got quite a bit done. I took the bikini top off and pulled the seats and center console. I had to have my daughter help me with the center console. someone had to hold the wrench on the underside after all lol.

then I took the rear view mirror off and put one in from a 99 mustang convertible. it has the built in maplights and surprisingly it slipped right onto the original mounting bracket. then I ran the wires down behind the weatherstripping and plugged into an add a circuit in the fuse box.

yes the windshield is dirty but its a jeep for crying out loud lol.

then I started putting the carpet in. I want to be able to pull it out and replace it easily when it gets wet or stained so I did not use any adhesive. it is just held in by bolts and a few screws.

btw here is a little tip I like to use when I am installing auto carpet. should anyone decide they want to put carpet in some where.

I have an old electrical tester that I broke years ago but it works great for this. if you can find the hole from the top just poke it through the carpet. or you can poke it up through the carpet from the other side. either way once the probe is poked through the hole this is for one of the seatbelt mounting tabs.

then take your soldering gun and it will melt right down along the probe and into the hole. if you poked it through from the bottom it will fall out or just pull it out from the top. then the soldering gun will melt the carpet back to the edges of the hole, you can move the gun around a bit to make the hole bigger. once you are done you have a hole that is melted just like you would do with the cut end of a nylon rope. it won't fray or pull the strands of the carpet like using a drill or hole saw.

ok so as I was installing the carpet I found some little things that needed to be addressed. there were some small parts that had surface rust, or just looked bad. like the tailgate latch.

so a little time with a wire wheel and my little scotch brite pad on my air sander.

and a little time with my eastwood powder coater.

a little wire wheeling, sanding and some chassis black.

then my wife bought me these little LED lights for my birthday and I did not really know what to do with them but I decided to put them on my center console. they stick on and are out of the way. I decided to just wire them into my light circuit so they come on whenever I turn on the lights.
to Illuminate the Dew lol.

carpet is in.

then I put new weatherstripping on the top and put it back on.

today I have to put the door weatherstripping on, then I will be done with this segment of the build. I plan to just drive it this way over the winter. next spring I will start the fuel injection conversion.
Unread 08-25-2013, 12:42 PM   #21
mustanggarage
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferJ View Post
Just read every post. Beautiful Mustang... and a Very clean jeep. She seems to be coming along nicely. Oh and great shop. Wish I had something like that to work in.
Thanks. I love my shop. I pretty much live out here. I have my mini fridge, my tv with surround sound that connects to my wireless computer network so I can watch movies on vudu or netflix. I have my laptop and a full bathroom, so I usually stay out here unless we are eating or sleeping lol.
Unread 08-25-2013, 02:11 PM   #22
mustanggarage
1990 YJ Wrangler 

well, that was a nice surprise. replacing the weatherstripping around the doors is way easier than it is on an old mustang. I believe I got it on there properly, and it seemed very easy....which means I probably did something wrong lol but we will see. anyway the top is back on and it is ready to go out and do some cruizing later today.
Unread 08-25-2013, 04:51 PM   #23
mustanggarage
1990 YJ Wrangler 

ok I finished the weatherstripping and sorted out the problems with the dome light. it was just a burnt fuse and a bad door jam switch, and a broken bulb. I also got the windshield wiper fixed. apparently I bent the little switch on the rear window, but I adjusted that and now pretty much everything works. I don't know for sure about the rear defroster, I don't really know how to test that. I guess I will just have to wait till this winter and see if it works lol.

one last pic today, kind of an overview pic.

Unread 09-11-2013, 11:54 AM   #24
mustanggarage
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasYJ View Post
That's a great buy!! Looking forward to seeing this build unfold. You mentioned earlier about swapping in a FI 4.0, have you considered doing the 4.0 head swap for a FI 4.2? just a thought.

oh and killer mustang!
I have been rethinking my answer to this question and I have decided this is a good idea. I already have the head off the 4.0 and I was going to swap timing sets as well.

I had some problems with the cherokee engine so we pulled the head off it when we pulled it out. this engine is freshly rebuilt with very few miles on it, the head was reworked with new valves, valve springs etc. I had a collapsed lifter on the 4.0 so the rest of the engine appears to be in good shape.
I have read up on the swap quite a bit but I have some specific questions.

1. I bought a COMP Cams Xtreme Energy 4x4 Cam part number CL68-231-4. when I built the engine. is there any reason I should not use this cam in the 4.2 when I swap the head since I am going to put a new timing set on anyway. also I have a new set of lifters that I was going to put in the 4.0 will they work with the 4.2?

2. I also bought new pushrods for the 4.0 from hesco. will they work in this swap or should I re-use the ones in the 4.2?

and I plan to do the fuel injection conversion at the same time.
Unread 09-11-2013, 06:36 PM   #25
Mobile_Homie
Desert Rat

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Great looking Jeep and Mustang too! I can't wait to have those kinds of father / daughter projects. There is no way that Mustang should be in a highschool parking lot, and the Jeep (note the spelling ) should have some armor.

Smoke em if you got em!

Click here
Mobile_Homie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 01:35 PM   #26
mustanggarage
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobile_Homie View Post
Great looking Jeep and Mustang too! I can't wait to have those kinds of father / daughter projects. There is no way that Mustang should be in a highschool parking lot, and the Jeep (note the spelling ) should have some armor.
thanks for the comments, and I agree with the armor lol. as far as the mustang goes she drives it to school for game days. she is a cheerleader so she likes to take it for game days. the rest of the time she drives the Jeep. and thanks for telling me how it is supposed to be spelled lol.

the only problem with the jeep right now and it is really pretty minor is that sometimes it takes a while to get it started. you have to pump it and pump it before it primes enough to get it going. I could put an electric pump in at the tank and that would probably fix the problem, but I have planned to do a fuel injection conversion on this jeep since I bought it. I had some problems with my sons cherokee and I never did get it sorted out. there was some problem in the wiring. anyway that hurt my pride lol so I always planned on converting to fuel injection so that I can learn more about it and to vindicate myself a bit for my prior failure. having said all that I really liked my fuel injected 95 it was a great little rig.

so I was scouring ebay a while back and I found a Hesco MPFI conversion from Summit racing for a pretty good price. (relatively speaking) I wanted the hesco kit because it has basically everything in it for the conversion including all new distributor, wiring harness manifold. everything.

last friday I started working on it.
Unread 09-19-2013, 01:36 PM   #27
mustanggarage
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I had considered doing a cam swap but I decided against it. I am however going to swap the 4.0 head on though.

first step to make access easier, pull the grill and radiator.

then I began disconnecting wiring and vacuum lines. then since we were going to pull the head it, is a lot easier to pull the head, intake and exhaust all at once than to do it separately.

so I set the engine at TDC and took the distributor cap off confirming that the rotor was pointed at number 1, and pulled the head.

then I had planned to change the timing set, so I pulled the harmonic balancer and the timing cover.

when I pulled the timing cover I found the crank sprocket positioned with the dot toward the cam sprocket. the cam sprocket dot however was 180 out. I rotated it around so the two dots are aligned. here is the pic.

however the rotor looks like this.

now keep in mind this engine was running just fine when I took it apart. but this as far as I know looks like the distributor is in 180 out of time. I called Hesco and asked them about it and they said to just re install everything like I took it out.

so I swapped the timing chain. it looks like this now.

the distributor looks like this.

before reinstalling the head I rotated the engine so the cam sprocket was at 1:00 and the crank sprocket was at 3:00 and counted pins. 15 count just like it should be. so I positioned it at TDC with the rotor pointing at number one again even though that means my timing dots are not aligned. reinstalled the head, torqued it properly.

now I need to pull the distributor. the new distributor has a pin in it to keep it from rotating. My concern is that this looks like it is 180 out to me. should I reinstall it like it was? I know it is not that big of a deal to pull the distributor and swap it 180 but I wanted to get some more opinions before I pulled the distributor.
Unread 09-19-2013, 01:43 PM   #28
mustanggarage
1990 YJ Wrangler 

so I searched the internet, posted questions on this forum and on Hesco's forum and at first I really got no answers accept for people assuming that either I had done something wrong installing the timing chain or that I had just moved the spark plug wires to make it run. I had done neither of those. finally Lee from Hesco let me know that in fact this is the way it is supposed to be.

Lee from Hesco posted this
"The timing dots when aligned has the engine at TDC firing #6, also at this time the #1 valves should be a "SPLIT OVERLAP" (that means the exhaust is almost closed and the intake is starting to open). Most engine builders use this to rough degree a cam in."

anyway that slowed me way down. I was concerned that something was not right and while I kept working on it I was kind of dragging my feet because I did not want to do anything wrong.

actually before Lee answered me I had put my finger over the spark plug hole and confirmed I was on the compression stroke so I had decided everything must be right so I continued putting things together. it was a relief to here from lee that everything was as it should be.
Unread 09-19-2013, 01:58 PM   #29
mustanggarage
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Since I wanted to do some checking before I did anything else, and the new harmonic balancer I ordered had not arrived yet anyway I started doing some detailing. I like to make things look nice when I put them back together besides just working right. so I started wire wheeling the exhaust manifold. I found a big crack in it. that explains why I could not get that stupid exhaust leak stopped. I thought it was coming from the flange. anyway I considered swapping in the header from the cherokee but when I put it on there it hits the shifter linkage. I considered modifying that, but then I would have had to run a custom exhaust from the header to the cat, and have an oxygen sensor bung welded into it as well. I also considered buying a new manifold. 259 dollars at NAPA. or a new header from summit 350 to 450. in the end I decided to see if someone could weld the manifold. I happen to know a guy, I work with his wife. anyway he has a welding and forge shop, does a lot of wrought iron work and can weld cast iron. he said he could fix it for me so I dropped it off at his shop, and I picked it up the next morning. I also had to swap in a new temp gauge sending unit because I broke the old one when I put the 4.0 in the cherokee.

since I was kind of at a stopping point Dad left for the night and I spent some time blasting and powdercoating some of the accessory brackets.
Unread 09-19-2013, 01:59 PM   #30
mustanggarage
1990 YJ Wrangler 

here are some of the pieces I powdercoated.

I also powdercoated the powersteering bracket red.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.