Johnny's '95 Grand Cherokee - rebuild and refresh thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Johnny's '95 Grand Cherokee - rebuild and refresh thread

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORClayton Off Road XJ Long Arm Suspension Systems!

Unread 07-06-2014, 08:53 AM   #1
JohnnyAirtime

Johnny's '95 Grand Cherokee - rebuild and refresh thread

Good morning fellow Jeepers!!

I'm recently the proud new owner of my first Jeep. Yup, I'm no longer a Jeep virgin! I'm coming from a Suzuki Samurai (build thread here), that my wife and I decided just wasn't practical for what we wanted to use it for. So, I've been looking at Cherokees for a long time and I found one 750 miles away. I flew out in the AM, getting to it by 4pm. Paid the man, and drove home the same instant. 13hrs later, at 5:30AM... I was home with my new Cherokee!

Already it has quite a bit of work done to it, which is the main reason I picked it up. Lots of the things I'd be doing to it, are already done. So that was a big selling point. For me to start a "build" thread would be near pointless... so, I'm going to start this rebuild/refresh thread. Simply because I need to go through the ZJ with a fine tooth comb, and get it back to where I want it to be.

Some key points right off the bat are; Remove front bumper, Re-wire all accessories, clean up the existing welding, clean up prior cut off suspension parts, rebuild some of the existing mounts under the vehicle, build new rock sliders (into lower body rocker), wire wheel all the underbody rust and repaint, Raptor (bed liner) the lower body panels, Plasti-dip (paint) the upper body, fix sagging doors and cracked body tin, add better off-road lighting (LED and HID), Make and Weld in frame/unibody stiffeners, etc etc

Right off the bat, I've already purchased the CAD drawings from flatland4x4 for my bumper builds. And thanks to this site, repaired my sagging driver/pass doors. As well, have new headlights on their way. In my garage I already have a new high lift jack, rotopac fuel cans/mounts, and other misc items to accessorize the Jeep.

This thread will mostly be for me to keep track, and share with others.

With that, here's the list of what it has already been done or what it is;
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Limited
Auto trans, 4.0HO I6 w/164K miles on 35" KM2s
NP231 with SYE
Rock Krawler long arm lift
Daystar extended bump stops
K&N Cold air intake
Six states HD Drive shafts
Iron Rock transfer case skid plate
Roof rack
Iron Rock rock sliders
Bushwacker fender flares
Corbeau Baja ultra susp.seats with 8way power adjustment
Under body rock lights
Hella off-road lighting (6 lights)
Teraflex High Steer kit (w/alum links)
Teraflex steering knuckles
Durango steering box upgrade with box brace

New Clutch fan
" Starter motor
" Optima Red top battery
" drag link and tie rod ends
" Spicer ball joints (front axle)

Dana 30 front axle with aftermarket shafts and 760 u-joints
Aussie locker, 4:56 gears, Stainless brake lines

Ford 8.8 rear axle 31 spline with disc brakes and e-brake
Eaton electric locker, 4:56 gears, stainless brake lines, Riddler diff cover
And a couple pictures of where I pulled over on my way home, to take advantage of the view(s);

Last edited by JohnnyAirtime; 07-06-2014 at 10:01 AM..
JohnnyAirtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2014, 09:55 AM   #2
JohnnyAirtime

I drove it home on July 4th, arriving July 5th at 5:30AM.

So the same day I got home, I managed to;
- Pull the front bumper off
- Repair the sagging front doors

The bumper removed;

The door hinge repairs;

The problem (click to view video);

BEFORE

AFTER

Some welding is needed, due to one of the hinges cracked around door;

Welded, painted and re-installed;

Fixed. Nice and smooth now! (click to view video)

Door jam strikes/latches are also breaking away the door tin. They are cracked in many places, so I'll be welding them up and reinforcing them too (soon). But now my doors shut nice and smooth. No more slamming or having to hold them up while you close them. Ahhh... much better!

... I'm off to weld on another one of my projects (Excursion with new stealth bumpers), and will get back to the ZJ soon... very soon!

Last edited by JohnnyAirtime; 07-06-2014 at 10:08 AM..
JohnnyAirtime is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.