Jo gets a heart transplant! 2.5 to 5.7! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Jo gets a heart transplant! 2.5 to 5.7!

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-27-2014, 02:00 PM   #1
zombiechief
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Jo gets a heart transplant! 2.5 to 5.7!

Well, I guess it's finally time to post this up. A few weeks ago I had to be towed home by my buddy Scott (snowplow) after a day of wheeling. My poor ole' 4 banger finally bit the dust and quit on me about 30 miles from home on the trails. We got Jo home and I began trying to find out why my beloved Jeep wouldn't start. After checking everything on the top end of the motor and putting it off for as long as I possibly could, I broke down and pulled the head off the block. My first sign that something was definitely NOT right was the fact that when I got the head bolts out, it just slid right off of the block/gasket with NO effort at all. There was ZERO adhesion from the head to the gasket. There was a burned spot passing the gasket on the #1 cylinder so the head gasket had a blown spot in it. After that I found this....

SOOOOOO, now begins she saga of me with the help of some good friends doing a 350 motor swap into my 90 Wrangler.

I have had a 350 LT1 from a Caprise wagon for a few years sitting on an engine stand that I was going to put in my 62 Chevy C10. I ended up giving the truck to my cousin and still had the motor so I started collecting parts to put it in my Jeep. I picked up a TH350 along with the Advance Adapters plate to bolt the NP231 transfer case out of my Jeep to the new transmission. This also came with the new output shaft for the trans and a fuel injection conversion kit for the motor. I picked up all of that for a good price from one of my club members. Here's the trans/xfer case...

Right before she quit running, I picked up a new daily driver truck that was going to be my tow rig. Said truck was a 94 Chevy Silverado Ex-Cab, long wheel base 4 wheel drive K2500. Upon the discovery of the now defunked 2.5 I decided to turn the daily into a donor and we yanked the motor, trans and xfer case out to be reinstalled into my Jeep. This combo is a 5.7L (350cid) with a 4L80E transmission and a TC241C transfer case. Coming out of a 3/4 ton, it will have NO problems at all moving my little YJ around at less than half the weight of the truck it came out of.
Motor...

Trans/xfer case...

Prepping the Jeep....

After almost a full year of collecting parts I finally got to order the motor mount for the 350. It got here yesterday....

Let the fun begin!!!

We had to use my high lift to pry the framerails open enough for the mount to slip between the shock towers.

After a few minutes, it was in...

We were working into the wee hours of the night, so saws and grinders were out of the question. Bring in the torces!

And the old mounts are gone. (frame to be smoothed out soon...

We had to seperate the motor and trans to get them out of the truck so we put them back together for the mock-up.

We placed a piece of angle iron across the frame to guide the tail in and support it as we place it in the frame.

MUCH to our surprise, she slid right in place with very little effort!

Highth placement under the hood has about an inch to an inch and a half clearance.

It's almost hard to see, but there are no clearance issues with the steering either!

So, that's where I am on my build as of now. There's still a LOT to be done, but I'm really getting psyched up about this build and I can't WAIT for her maiden voyage!

Unread 09-27-2014, 02:08 PM   #2
zombiechief
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Oh, I forgot to mention, after I get everything up and running I will have a TH350 along with the AA plate and output shaft for the NP231 conversion for sale or trade. I am holding on to them as plan B just in case anything happens with the other trans/xfer case. I DO have a buildable 2.5 with almost all new top end components for sale now if anyone is interested. I've already sold the AX5...
Unread 09-27-2014, 03:14 PM   #3
Snowplow
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Great writeup so far.
Snowplow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2014, 03:25 PM   #4
zombiechief
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Lol! I'm glad you like it. HA HA HA!
Unread 10-15-2014, 02:46 PM   #5
zte87
2.5 POWER!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Subscribed
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1272253/

94 jeep zj bb lift, 31-10.50-15 toyo at2s, magnaflow exhaust!
zte87 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2014, 09:31 PM   #6
zombiechief
1990 YJ Wrangler 

HOLY WOW how things have changed in Jo! It's been 3 months almost to the day since my last post so I guess it's time to do an update. There has been a TON of progress and a LOT of improvements! OK, so to make a long story even longer, the motor went in even faster than expected. We had to piece together an exhaust system so we took the manifolds and Y-pipe from the LT motor i have in my back yard, part of the dual exhaust from the donor truck and the muffler and rear portion from the original Jeep exhaust, all of which happen to be 2" pipe and Frankensteined an exhaust together...

Did I mention the fact that to get the rear section under the body and over the axle, we had to lift the Jeep up. We found an easy way to do this...

Next was putting together some kind of driveshaft so we could even move the thing. We took the back half of the Chevy front shaft and the back half of the Jeep rear shaft and grafted them together to make a front shaft.

We used pieces of welding rod that I hammered into a taper on one end to space the shaft pieces the same all around to weld together.

And it looked like this...

Next up was the shifter for the transfer case. We used the Chevy shifter because it looks really cool. A template was made from the floor of Donor and then the floor of the Jeep was cut. After that was fabbing up the control rod.

I had to add a little bling....LOL

Then the front cap came back off for wiring the motor.

Then we put it back on and the front cap was wired in.

The hood was put back on to make sure the Chevy brakes would fit under it.

Yep...
Unread 12-29-2014, 09:32 PM   #7
zombiechief
1990 YJ Wrangler 

...Wiring the front lights...

I shot some Rustoleum on the dash backing plate.

Then made a template of the dash plate.

Trying to decide what to do with the dash...

I decided to go with this layout for now...
[URL=http://s1359.photobucket.com/user/zombiechief/media/Jo%20gets%20a%20heart%20transplant/20141020_185051_zpsm37llunn.jpg.html]
[URL=http://s1359.photobucket.com/user/zombiechief/media/Jo%20gets%20a%20heart%20transplant/20141020_204255_zpswehzxmzb.jpg.html]
Then we moved forward to the trans cooler.

Then it was time to make the shifter work for the 4L80E....

Then I had to find a radiator hose with the right bend to work with the radiator. After running this for a few minutes it filled out and now is fine.

More to come....
Unread 12-30-2014, 12:44 AM   #8
zombiechief
1990 YJ Wrangler 

OK, so now we're up to beginning the interior wires.

The Chevy ECM was put in place of the Jeep ECM. Very little modification was made to the firewall to get the wiring harness thru and in place.
Unread 12-30-2014, 12:48 AM   #9
zombiechief
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have a lot more, but I'll post more tomorrow.
Unread 01-07-2015, 08:38 PM   #10
zombiechief
1990 YJ Wrangler 

OK, so tomorrow turned into about a week or so. With new year's and my fiance'e and I getting married and all, I've been busy...lol I'll try to get things up to speed so far this time.

And here's the Chevy's ECM in the factory Jeep ECM location.

Here's just a pic of the rat's nest of wires...

Here's an overhead view of the firewall and wiring.

The modified throttle cable bracket with the factory Jeep cable now working properly.

Here's where we pliced in the front wiring for the lights to the Chevy harness

All splices and wires neatly hidden.

More dash work.

A little trimming and a little modification.

Getting the light switches put in...

Moving back under the hood, we got the trans cooler installed and piped in.

And a very happy moment when the motor starts for the first time!

Unread 01-07-2015, 09:13 PM   #11
zombiechief
1990 YJ Wrangler 

So after all of that it was time for a nice in town test run. The Pensacola Mopar Club had a car show that we went to so I drove Jo to the show to see how she would do. So after a small fire under the hood because the plug wires were on the exhaust manifold I got her to the show without burning to the ground, thank God!

And on the way home I had the same problem with the plug wires again. I got the fire out and cut the wires loose then drove home on 6 cylinders.
On top of the wires burning up on me, the 4L80E transmission wouldn't hit third or 4th gears even if I manually shifted it so it had to come out. We decided it was time to change the output shaft on the TH350 to make it work with my original NP231 transfer case and the Advance Adapter plate I have. So it was time to take the TH350 apart.

The original output shaft is on top and the AA one below.

AAAAND it's now back together...

[URL=http://s1359.photobucket.com/user/zombiechief/media/Jo%20gets%20a%20heart%20transplant/20141128_161205_zpsramtwrbi.jpg.html]]
And the 350 is in!

With the other transmission and transfer case now in place I can use the original skit plate again.

[URL=http://s1359.photobucket.com/user/zombiechief/media/Jo%20gets%20a%20heart%20transplant/20141129_103256_zpsqslfjrdt.jpg.html]
Now it's time to turn my attention to the drive shafts...Here's the front.

I had to shorten the front shaft by about 2 inches with the new transfer case placement so I carefully cut the yoke off of the rear end.

So I heated the pipe to hammer in the yoke into the new location.

Once it was in place I welded it in.

OK, so the front needed to be shortened and the rear needed to be 4 inches longer.

And here is the rear shaft in place.

New go-fast stickers!

Cleaning things up with the under dash cover panel I made.

And now the front end is back on.

The first run up on the interstate...
Unread 01-07-2015, 10:18 PM   #12
zombiechief
1990 YJ Wrangler 

At this point I decided I really didn't like the Chevy gauges in the middle of my dash and I would prefer the original ones, but they won't work with the Chevy wiring, so aftermarket gauges would have to be the way to go. My good friend Mac got me a set for Christmas!

So I made a bracket to hold the gauges behind the factory dash panel.

Also in the middle of doing the gauges, I started building the front tube fenders to match the rears that I buils a while back.

Well, that's about it for now. Everything is up to date as of Jan 7, 2015. More to come soon!

Z
Unread 01-08-2015, 10:40 AM   #13
AZdEvilYJ
Broke-a**

1995 YJ Wrangler 

My Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...nally-1575209/
AZdEvilYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2015, 10:03 AM   #14
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZdEvilYJ View Post
X2 I was kind of interested to see how that dash was going to turn out...Oh well.
Unread 01-09-2015, 10:23 AM   #15
zombiechief
1990 YJ Wrangler 

It worked. All gauges did just fine I just didn't like how it looked.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.