Jmart2119's Black Beauty Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Jmart2119's Black Beauty Build

New! JK/U skid plate system.We now have Uniballs!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 01-30-2015, 11:12 AM   #1
jmart2119
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Jmart2119's Black Beauty Build

Well I have been lurking behind the scenes in the Jeep Forum for about 13 years and just recently decided to start my build and add to any discussion that I think I can be a help to. I know that I will need the help of all the other more experienced forum members out there so I figured I should help where I can.

First a little back story about my Jeep and why I love it...
For starts, I named her Black Beauty, BB for short and it stuck. I have no other reason for this name other than the fact that I think it fit her perfect.

For as long as I remember, I always wanted a jeep and when I turned 16 I was able to finally attain that dream with the help of my parents. It has been a wonderful vehichle for me but has also caused a great amount of madness and frustration but I wouldn't have it any other way.

The main thing I love about my jeep is the opportunity to spend countless hours with my father. I have not always seen eye-to-eye with my dad and we don't have a lot of things in common but one thing that we can do is spend time together fixing, improving and building my jeep. It is something that I cherish greatly and for that reason, I will never ever sell BB.

Here is a picture of BB the day that I brought her home:

BB had a 2.5 engine and was completely stock and although I wanted a big 4wheeling jeep, my mother thought it was best to start stock mainly because her fear that I would roll the thing. Little did I know that this would work in my favor.

I drove it this way for a year before I got hit on a side street on the front end. We used the extra insurance money after repairs on a 1.5 in suspension lift(I wanted bigger and Mom still said no).

Sophomore year of college the transmission had to be rebuilt then the engine had to be rebuilt. My dad and I had to get her back on the road ASAP hence the reason we just did the rebuilds.

After college I ended up getting a second car and then my exhaust manifold cracked on BB and she sat for about a year because I did not have time or money to fix it.

That changed after I got a new job and my build began about 6-7 months ago. I am going to get this thread up to speed and then maintain it as much as possible. I want a build thread so that I can track and have a record of BB from start to finish.

Feel free to look, make any comments, give advice etc. I don't know if anyone will follow this thread but like many other forums members out there, I love my Jeep and I will enjoy this build thread.

Here is a picture of what she looked like when I started my build:

Enjoy!

jmart2119 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2015, 11:22 AM   #2
jmart2119
1989 YJ Wrangler 

There were many many things that needed to be done but I decided to start with small things. Needed new tires, the interior was trashed, the flares needed to be refinished etc.

I ordered Bestop trail max seats, a new center console and I got some brand new Goodyear wrangler 31x10.5x15 tires. and lined the tub.

Before:

Unread 01-30-2015, 11:31 AM   #3
jmart2119
1989 YJ Wrangler 

After:

I don't have a good picture of the tub, I must of forgot.
Unread 01-30-2015, 11:36 AM   #4
jmart2119
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Spent a lot of time chasing down a high idle issue. We finally got it figured out with a lot of help with Que. My dad spent a lot of time on the phone with him. Had to replace a bunch of sensors, IAC, vacuum lines and ECU.

Had to replace the fuel pump and lines as they were all cracked. Also changed the fuel filter as it needed it.
Unread 01-30-2015, 11:41 AM   #5
jmart2119
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Replaced the cracked exhaust manifold, and a whole new exhaust set up. I did not get any pics of this.
Unread 01-30-2015, 11:42 AM   #6
jmart2119
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Decided to paint my half door panels as they were worn and tired.

Unread 01-30-2015, 11:54 AM   #7
jmart2119
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Wheeled it.

Unread 01-30-2015, 12:05 PM   #8
jmart2119
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well back in september my daily driver was totaled by a drunk driver. My car was parked on the side of the street and he plowed right through it.

So since my jeep was now going to be my daily driver, I figured it was time to hit craigslist and look for some full doors and a hard top.

Found an ad in Colorado springs and got these doors and a pair of rock sliders for 225 total. I had been searching and searching everyday for a good deal and this one came up right as I was about to purchase a set of doors for 550. Instead a get a set of doors and sliders for half that. I got lucky.

Here are the doors:

They aren't original matching doors but who cares, Ill make them match. The windows all work and the locking mechanisms are in working order but probably need to be cleaned up. The seal are shot. I decided to order all new parts for them and just refurbish them before winter hits.

I ordered new exterior/interior handles, grab handles, door panels, a set of three lock cylinders so I can match the tailgate, new seals, weatherstripping.
Unread 01-30-2015, 12:12 PM   #9
jmart2119
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Once I got my parts in I got to working on the locking mechanisms:

I got all the new parts in place and it was time to paint. Here is the finished product:

I now have matching, refurbished doors that in my opinion look good. Now time to find a hardtop.
Unread 01-30-2015, 12:20 PM   #10
jmart2119
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well the search for the hard top was a tough one. On two separate occasions I had a hardtop lined up, only for it to fall through each time.

The first one I was going to be able to get a hardtop for $400 from the same guy that sold me the doors because he was moving and just wanted it gone. A hard top in Denver for $400 is a steal. the average price is between 700-1200. I called him and told him I was coming to pick it up and his farm crew backed into it with forklift and destroyed. Bummer!

The second one was also in Colorado Springs for $550 this time and it is rhino lined. Wasn't sure about this but it was getting ever so closely to winter to so I went for it and drove down to the springs. The top was being stored at the guys second house where no one lives. Pull in the drive way and bam its gone. Stolen right out of the back yard. Strike two.

Kept scouring the classifieds and finally picked up this one for $650. More than I wanted to spend but Ill take it:

I didn't get a good picture but the paint was cracked and faded and it needed to be spiced up. I took the top over to one of my buddies house so I could paint it in the garage.
Unread 01-30-2015, 12:29 PM   #11
jmart2119
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Time to paint the hard top. I picked up some scotch brite pads and 4 cans of rustoleum satin black and went to work. I will be painting the inside and the outside because I think the white is terrible looking.

Began the masking process:

And started shooting the paint:

And the finished project:

On BB:

Good as new! I plan on tinting the top and doors at some point.
Unread 01-30-2015, 12:34 PM   #12
jmart2119
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well now that I have the Top and Doors for the winter, I decided it was time to upgrade my blower motor. Got the PM102 from autozone took the battery tray out and started the project. I will also be replacing my heater core because it won't hurt to put a new one in.

Used a hole saw to cut a bigger hole in the firewall to fit the new motor, put it in, got the heater box back in and the battery tray and voila! Lots of heat in BB now. Its quite amazing the difference that blower motor makes!
Unread 01-30-2015, 12:39 PM   #13
jmart2119
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Before I put the hard top and doors on for the winter I decided to take the jeep up for another wheeling trip one more time. We went to the Middle St. Vrain/ Coney Flats trail. Man it is beautiful up there!

Unread 01-30-2015, 12:47 PM   #14
jmart2119
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Picked up a family roll bar from Jeremy at Jeeps Unlimited(new owner) for 100 bucks. Jeremy is a great guy and always helps me with parts I need for my jeep and they are good prices as well.

I wanted the family roll bar so I can throw some nets on in the summer to keep the husky in the Jeep!

Unread 01-30-2015, 12:50 PM   #15
jmart2119
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Finally got around to getting the sliders installed. So glad to get those ugly tube side steps off the jeep. Now just have to get rid of the tube bumpers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.