JKU DD Build - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 03-04-2017, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
RubiconRazorbac
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

JKU DD Build

Just picked up a new JKU Rubicon this week. Still have the TJ and yes, the build on THAT thing is never-ending.

But the backseat of the TJ will only fit 2 kids and our little guy wants to hang out on some mild trails as well. So the JKU has room for all 5 of us.

I'll preface this thread by saying it's going to be quite boring and at times, schizophrenic. But I like build threads and like having a place to document what I'm doing & thinking at the time. Plus, maybe a write-up here and there.

Right now, I'm just trying to get some initial planning down. Furthermore, I'm reading all I can to catch up with the JK world. I have the TJ thing down, but simply haven't the experience on the JK yet.

Here's the initial goals:

1. A new project to tinker with. I have multiple little hobbies and projects going on at any time. Not to mention 5 kids (2 are teenage girls and aren't currently interested in Jeeping with Mom & Dad anymore) So I like to jump from project to project to keep from getting bored.

2. Add some comfort and convenience upgrades for daily use. Basically just little add-ons here and there that amount to working in the garage for an hour or two with my 10 year-old son. I'm talking seat heaters, backup camera, light bars, rock lights, etc. Bling type stuff that doesn't really matter, but gets me some cool father/son time.

3. Upgrade offroad capability while maintaining daily drivability. This is where it gets crazy. For now, I'm talking about being able to load up the family, drive to Colorado for some trail riding, and drive back home. I have the TJ for occasions where breakage is expected

4. Protection upgrades. Rocker guards, skid plates, bumpers, winch, recovery straps, etc. Again, not planning on running it through a sluice, but to keep the occasional tree stump out of the mix.

And yes, I know very well that I can do most of the above without doing much. I can wheel it just fine as it is in stock form for the way I plan to wheel and drive. But we all know that's not going to happen for long, so let's have fun with this thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Your shaft isn't long enough to handle that kind of droop...
2003 TJ Rubicon:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 JKU Rubicon:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-04-2017, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
RubiconRazorbac
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Holding spot for updates

Quote:
2003 TJ Rubicon:

2017 JKU Rubicon:
post #3 of 6 Old 03-04-2017, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
RubiconRazorbac
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Same

Quote:
2003 TJ Rubicon:

2017 JKU Rubicon:

post #4 of 6 Old 03-04-2017, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
RubiconRazorbac
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Did a little online shopping today. Have a few things coming to keep me busy while I'm planning the big stuff.

1. sPOD with touchpad controller.
2. A-pillar ball mount for the sPOD.
3. A set of seat heaters.
4. Iggee seat covers for the front seats & Bedtop cover for the rear seats.
5. Simple door sill guards.

I'm torn on a suspension for this thing. I'm probably going to end up with 35s. So looking at 2.5" lift & some fenders. Just need to see how well 12.5" wide tires mount on stock wheels or if I need wider wheels also.

I like the idea of onboard air. I don't know anyone that's ever regretted having it. Just undecided between a CO2 tank, and a compressor. Really leaning towards a compressor.

A couple of other ideas floating around, but we'll see how things pan out.

Quote:
2003 TJ Rubicon:

2017 JKU Rubicon:
post #5 of 6 Old 03-26-2017, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
RubiconRazorbac
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ordered some brackets from Metalcloak. A mount for the ARB twin compressor, a mount to put the sPod under the hood (also relocates vacuum pump), and the evap relocation bracket.

Quote:
2003 TJ Rubicon:

2017 JKU Rubicon:
post #6 of 6 Old 05-08-2017, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
RubiconRazorbac
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Finally was able to get some work done yesterday. Installed the ARB Twin Compressor under the hood with the Metalcloak bracket. Pretty decent instructions from Metalcloak, but there's an awesome video on YouTube that helped tons. The only thing no one mentioned was getting to the nut on the master cylinder bolt was a real pain in the butt once the compressor is on the bracket. Once I figured out the combination of socket extensions I needed, all was well.

Just have it bolted on for now. Will try to tackle the wiring and sPod install this afternoon & take some pics.

Quote:
2003 TJ Rubicon:

2017 JKU Rubicon:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.