JKL's '05 Wrangler Unlimited - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > JKL's '05 Wrangler Unlimited

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 05-05-2011, 02:36 PM   #76
jkl
2005 LJ Wrangler 

So I think this is the direction I'm going, low on 37s. A little bigger than what I got now but still can be a DD. I like the 40s, but think it's a little overkill (but I already have a set so that could change).

Now I just need to figure out my axles. Buy a new front and upgrade my rear 44, probably not. Spider 9s would be pimp, but to much $$. Dana 60s or 60/14 would make it pretty much unbreakable, but hang a little low for 37s and might as well run 40s with that set up. JK 44s are nice, but they are a little pricey and not easy to come by used. Ford HP 44 and 9" are cheap and easily found, but may have issues with the 44 ball joints, small pinion with 5.13s and still has the 297 ujoint. I haven't broke anything with the 30/44 and 35 but I'm also still running the 3.73s so that probably helps.

Opinions.....

'13 10th Anniversary Unlimited Rubi
'05 LJ on 35s
1 Ton XJ on 40s...went up in flames :(
1 Ton Scrambler Build Thread:"Project Taildragger"
...now parting out
jkl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2011, 02:19 PM   #77
jkl
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The other day I took the flares off to see if I like the flareless look and then gave it a bath.

The passenger side swaybar quick disconnect broke. Even though they are covered under the BDS lifetime warranty, I didn't feel like dealing with taking them back since a anitrock is in the future. Noticed the driver side was coming apart also, so my helper and I fixed it to. In the first pic you can see were the clip won't stay in it's groove anymore. The passenger side came apart somewhere on a trail ride. Drilled out the hole and put bolts through them for a quick fix.

'05 LJ on 35s
...now parting out
Unread 05-09-2011, 07:40 AM   #78
weinbern
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Hey Bud!

Hope all is well and both ur jeeps look great! I wouldnt sell that scrambler! Keep it for Wyatt!!!! That would be the best first car ever.

Well Im going the 1-ton route (Jana 67/10.25). Im gonna go to 38's or 40's, it all depends of $. I dont care for the 14B. If you dont shave it it bounces on everything. If you do shave it, it leaks like a *****. Not to mention I like going aganst the curve. The 10.25 is almost as abudant on extra parts. The only problem with it is its heavy.... really heavy. But in reality its probably dropping my CG. low CG is the new cool thing!

I see no reason to bump to 37's. They are the official "Bastard" size. Too big for 1/2 tons axles and too small for 1 tons. I like 38's cause they are usually a little wider then 40's and I like that look not to mention they are usually 80-100 bucks cheaper per tire.

My buddy in AZ runs 40-inch MT/R's and got 35k miles on them with trail trips almost every other weekend. He has no wobbles and they run great. I liked my KM2's but they are just too damn expensive. IROKs do nice out in FL but I dont care for them on the road. After seeing some guys wheel up here in NC the Interco SSX is down right nastey for us slippery rock/swamp/sand dwelers but I would hate to put them on the road. Thats my 2 cents....
Unread 05-11-2011, 08:19 PM   #79
jkl
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weinbern View Post
Hey Bud!

Hope all is well and both ur jeeps look great! Long time no see! All is well, hope the same with you.

I wouldnt sell that scrambler! Keep it for Wyatt!!!! That would be the best first car ever. He's been wanting a mud truck. I think once I get the LJ squared away maybe a cheap (insert brand name here) truck on rockwells and 44+ boggers. I hate mud cause of the clean up, but making the mess sure is fun!

Well Im going the 1-ton route (Jana 67/10.25). Im gonna go to 38's or 40's, it all depends of $. I dont care for the 14B. If you dont shave it it bounces on everything. If you do shave it, it leaks like a *****. I'm still considering 1 ton and 40's (since I already have em). I need to do some measureing though cause you don't really gain that much clearance. IIRC the scrambler only has an inch or two over the LJ at the diffs. I trimmed the bottom lip off the 14 bolt and it only hangs about 1/2" lower than the 60.

I see no reason to bump to 37's. They are the official "Bastard" size. Too big for 1/2 tons axles and too small for 1 tons. Thats what I keep reading but have talked with lots of guys here and elsewhere (hint - arrrrrr) who run 37s on D44/9" or 44/60 with 5.13s and havent had any problems. I think alot of it is the driver. You can break a 60 on 31s if you try hard enough.
Been getting the Jeep ready for Jeep Beach this weekend, going to be checking out alot of rigs to see which direction I want to take this build.

'05 LJ on 35s
...now parting out
Unread 05-16-2011, 08:25 PM   #80
jkl
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Did some measuring tonight and I'm not quite convinced that 1 tons and 40's are gaining anything in the clearance department.

Rough measurements to the bottom of the diffs:

LJ on worn 35's
D30 - 11"
D44 - 10 1/2"

Scrambler on new 39.5 Iroks
D60 - 11 1/2"
Trimmed 14B - 11 1/4"

'05 LJ on 35s
...now parting out
Unread 05-17-2011, 12:22 AM   #81
Polecat
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'm no Jeep tech guru but I'd guess you'd get more benefit from a tummy tuck. Not that you wouldn't gain clearance from bigger tires of course. Plus you'd have the protection underneath which is always a good thing.
Unread 06-04-2011, 09:57 PM   #82
emev0l
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkl View Post
Did some measuring tonight and I'm not quite convinced that 1 tons and 40's are gaining anything in the clearance department.

Rough measurements to the bottom of the diffs:

LJ on worn 35's
D30 - 11"
D44 - 10 1/2"

Scrambler on new 39.5 Iroks
D60 - 11 1/2"
Trimmed 14B - 11 1/4"

I've tried explaining that logic to people for years, the only benefit of larger tires is more ground clearance.

Currie RockJock D60s are nice, they have the same ground clearance as a TJ D44 rear axle, there high pinion, and they can handle 40's.

The rear is right around $2,500 locked geared and chromod.

The front is around $4,500, yeah I know ouch, that does include Currie steering but still.

I'm not sure how trimmed the 14B you measured was, but Balistic Fab makes a great kit that shaves 2 full inches off the bottom.

http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...it_p_1728.html

But the rears never been the big problem, it's always been the cost of the front.
1970 Cutlass 442 468CID TH400
1999 7.3 Powerstroke
emev0l is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2011, 09:48 AM   #83
Charlie79
1979 CJ7 

Are you still running your stock gears? I'm running 33's on my Rubicon, I wanna throw 35's on it but I'm worried about performance and gas mileage, it's an auto and hasn't been re geared (4:11.s) same lift.

Jeep looks great, I thought I'd have to go taller for the 35's but your's looks just right.
Charlie79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2011, 10:22 AM   #84
ItsaFinRubicon
2004 TJ Wrangler 

My idea was to just.upgrade my shafts for mu rubi 44s and run 37s... Btw charlie. I was running 35s on my 4.10s and felt fine major hills sucked but as a dd and wheeling about 2 times a month or less 35s and 4.10s were great for me
[SIZE="2"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/itsafinrubicon-build-thread-1012286/"]2004 Jeep Rubicon[/URL] [SIZE="2"][/SIZE] ::[/SIZE] [SIZE="1"]|R.C. 4"|PSC|Smittybilt|35" KM1|QTec|R.C.|[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Dtowngoalie;9869864]rausch frock rauschhhhhhhhhhhh[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=ajamison;11841284]trails frock trailssssss![/QUOTE]
ItsaFinRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2011, 12:06 PM   #85
Charlie79
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsaFinRubicon View Post
My idea was to just.upgrade my shafts for mu rubi 44s and run 37s... Btw charlie. I was running 35s on my 4.10s and felt fine major hills sucked but as a dd and wheeling about 2 times a month or less 35s and 4.10s were great for me
Good to know, did your mileage suffer much? I'm a little gun shy cuz I just got rid of a gas guzzling beast that I couldn't hardly afford to drive, while the mileage of the Rubicon isn't great, it's double what I was getting before.

I talked to a lady (hardcore whealer who knows her chit) a few weeks ago with an 05 Rubicon, 6" lift and 35's.....she's getting around 10mpg.
Charlie79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2011, 12:37 PM   #86
Red_Raider911
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You could always go with a 35 spline ARB for hte rear with Chromos. That is what I am running and have had no issues with 35(s). Will be upgrading to 37(s) soon and plan to truss the rear. But hoping to live a little while longer before upgrading everythign underneath. So much $$$$ to upgrade both axles at once.
Red_Raider911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2011, 01:09 PM   #87
emev0l
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Raider911 View Post
You could always go with a 35 spline ARB for hte rear with Chromos. That is what I am running and have had no issues with 35(s). Will be upgrading to 37(s) soon and plan to truss the rear. But hoping to live a little while longer before upgrading everythign underneath. So much $$$$ to upgrade both axles at once.

I'm also running a 35 spline ARB with chromos out back with 35" tires, I wouldn't be to worried about the rear on 37's it's the front that isn't going to be happy.

The D30 and Rubi D44 front use the same axle tubes, unit bearings, and outters, none of which is going to stay very happy for long on 37's

I'm not saying don't do it, I'm just saying don't be shocked if you frag a front axle.
1970 Cutlass 442 468CID TH400
1999 7.3 Powerstroke
emev0l is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2011, 01:11 PM   #88
ItsaFinRubicon
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie79 View Post
Good to know, did your mileage suffer much? I'm a little gun shy cuz I just got rid of a gas guzzling beast that I couldn't hardly afford to drive, while the mileage of the Rubicon isn't great, it's double what I was getting before.

I talked to a lady (hardcore whealer who knows her chit) a few weeks ago with an 05 Rubicon, 6" lift and 35's.....she's getting around 10mpg.
Hmmm thats crazy... I mean I didnt know much of a difference when running 33s and then 35s... But I feel like my gas mileage is getting crappier each day with 33s... maybe its because I dont pay attention on how much I drive plus I dont do much highway driving anymore.. But dont 05 rubis have 6 speed.. They tack up MORE RPMs IN 6th gear then in 5th (5spd)
[SIZE="2"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/itsafinrubicon-build-thread-1012286/"]2004 Jeep Rubicon[/URL] [SIZE="2"][/SIZE] ::[/SIZE] [SIZE="1"]|R.C. 4"|PSC|Smittybilt|35" KM1|QTec|R.C.|[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Dtowngoalie;9869864]rausch frock rauschhhhhhhhhhhh[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=ajamison;11841284]trails frock trailssssss![/QUOTE]
ItsaFinRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2011, 01:14 PM   #89
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

JKL, is your son named Wyatt? We named our son Wyatt and he is almost 10 months and more wild than wild bill himself. Id love to have an LJ too.
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2011, 02:59 PM   #90
Red_Raider911
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by emev0l View Post
I'm also running a 35 spline ARB with chromos out back with 35" tires, I wouldn't be to worried about the rear on 37's it's the front that isn't going to be happy.

The D30 and Rubi D44 front use the same axle tubes, unit bearings, and outters, none of which is going to stay very happy for long on 37's

I'm not saying don't do it, I'm just saying don't be shocked if you frag a front axle.
Yes, I was just saying the rear would be fine. You can always upgrade front to a ford HP44 or even a waggy front end. That way you get heavier tubes, locking hubs along with beefier brakes for the larger tires.
Red_Raider911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.