jimbos big red build - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > jimbos big red build

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-16-2013, 06:07 PM   #16
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

nice build so far..to I am a bit confused...earlier up in the thread you mentioned the 7 coats of clear on parts of the body??? but the later pictures show it to be faded and multicolored...are some of the pics out of order? or am I just confused as earlier stated...lol

Shhhhhh I'm not crazy...It's just the voices in my head
freaknajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #17
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I painted the dash and grill.. Decided on a custom dash so I didn't use the one I painted then went with a Cj front clip and sold the freshly painted grill. A few weeks later I ditched the Cj front clip and have since gone back to a yj set up so I still need to paint it. I've picked up the paint but it's been to hat to paint here in fl. Or like today it was nice in the morning but looked over cast. I will be painting it outside so I have to watch the weather.
88 YJ 35's 8.8 rear, family style roll bar, ax-15 external slave conversion, Custom double D fab dash 4" of lift taurus fan, Head light wiring upgrade, MSD 6al, JB conversions SYE, 258 with RV cam, Long tube headers, Borla exhaust. 1"mm, Auto meter gauges.
jimbos76cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 02:31 PM   #18
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

So got 90% of the sanding done. I hit the whole tub with 220 grits to get the clear knocked down. The areas that got taken down to the bare metal I hit with a little primer sealer so it doesnt start to rust. I also scrubbed the dirt and mud dobber nests out of the tub. I also made a block off plate for the fuse block and swapped the brake pedals to the correct one. what a PITA!!

Next up is to hit the small glossy spots by hand then wait for my compressor and air water seperator to come back so I can prime and paint it. Im gonna give it one maybe 2 coats of primer then paint.
88 YJ 35's 8.8 rear, family style roll bar, ax-15 external slave conversion, Custom double D fab dash 4" of lift taurus fan, Head light wiring upgrade, MSD 6al, JB conversions SYE, 258 with RV cam, Long tube headers, Borla exhaust. 1"mm, Auto meter gauges.
Unread 04-11-2014, 05:49 AM   #19
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

WOW.. its been a bit since I updated here.

Grill painted
Rad and fan installed
Brake light mounting holes opened up to 1/4-20 I couldnt find the right size for the stock holes
Found the wiring i was missing for the MSD box. It was on my work bench
Mounted the fuel pump.. again
drilled the holes for the steering wheel cover
Installed the dash to see how much wiring i need to change for the unforeseen column mount interference. Not as much as I originally thought.

Then tonite I walked out to the shop to grab a part and realized I was able to walk around the jeep with out stepping over parts hich means I either through a bunch of stuff out that i needed or more parts are on the jeep then are on the floor. Monday Im going to mount the fenders again and work on finishing the engine bay wiring. Once all the wirings finished and stuff is mounted Im going to tear em off and paint em. Heres some grill pics

Heres the pics of my fender fix. Im cheap so instead of buying a good new set of fenders Im using a set that Keith gave me. They are pretty good on the outside but cut for shock hoops on the inside.

I used the plasma cutter to cut the inners out of the bad fenders

Welded the patch panels in

Napa sells a decent bed liner in a can. I wouldnt use it for the bed of my truck but works nice for parts like this

Got a little bit more done today.. I actually made a list and finished every thing that was on it

I hung the fenders so I could mount all the ignition parts and head light harness.

Passenger side

Driver side

Fabbed some brackets for the MDS 6A box I didnt like the position it had to be in to get it to sit flat. Now it sits nice and level. I also made a bracket for the street fire TFI coil. Of course after i got it all installed I decided I dont like the way the coil is positioned so i need to remove it and trim up the hole in the bracket so it fits better. I have a 12v positive stud to the right of the Coil so all my hot leads will go to it.

Friday Im going to remove the fenders and start to get em ready for paint. I want to be able to bolt up all the fender parts prior to placing them back on the jeep.. Hoping to keep the scratches to a minimum.
The little silver solenoid at the bottom of the pic is the fan solenoid.

Brought my tail lights with me to work today and fixed the wiring.

I added a dedicated ground wire for the tail lights.. hopefully they will stay nice and bright.

So.. Today I got the power steering return hooked up, steering shaft on, lower rad hose, headlights and blinkers in and head lights wired, painted a headlight bezel to see how it looks, painted a test peice of fender flares, bolted fenders on. I also made a 3hr trip to pick up parts from josh.. Not bad for a days work.

Sorry if it seems choppy for a post. *Ijust cut and paste from another forum.
Unread 04-11-2014, 05:50 AM   #20
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

So I started yesterday off by rolling the jeep outside to get some sun on her.

Then I powered through the MSD ignition wiring. All the ends got treated to weather pack connectors.

On the passenger side I hooked up the head light upgrade relays

A buddy stopped by and we got the windsheild frame and spreader bars on. I also got the wiper linkage installed, what a PITA

and i got the other head light bezel painted.

Not a horrible day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.