Jeffro's ride ... - Page 51 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Jeffro's ride ...

Rear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Closed Thread
Unread 09-02-2010, 05:24 PM   #751
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

My plans for working on the YJ last weekend didn't work out too well, but I'm off tomorrow and I plan to try and get a little further on the front axle.

I'm thinking about throwing the 33's on the Rubi for a little bit, just to see what it feels like, power wise.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Unread 09-03-2010, 06:53 AM   #752
awillard69
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro95 View Post
I'm thinking about throwing the 33's on the Rubi for a little bit, just to see what it feels like, power wise.
Be careful, you might not want to take them off!

Jeeps Going Wild
Friend of Tread Lightly
AB9YC
Unread 09-03-2010, 06:58 AM   #753
gribbles
2000 TJ Wrangler 

do it! you'll love having them on at the badlands!! now we just need to scratch that pretty yellow paint - and I know just the place

My Jeep

2000 TJ, 100" wb on leaves
2007 WK CRD
Unread 09-03-2010, 10:06 AM   #754
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by awillard69 View Post
Be careful, you might not want to take them off!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gribbles View Post
do it! you'll love having them on at the badlands!! now we just need to scratch that pretty yellow paint - and I know just the place
I put one on, only left about an inch and a half between the tire and the flare. I didn't feel like doing the rest just to drive it down the road, just yet.

I've gone as far as I can with the YJ today, by myself anyway. I got the D30 with 3.55's out, but I'll have to find some help to carry the D30 with 4.10's into the garage. At some point I'll have to get that Aussie swapped over, if I remember right it'll still fit with 4.10's.

I'll need to get new u-bolts for the front....I cut them suckers off...

Gribbs.....the Rubi won't be following you.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs

Unread 09-03-2010, 05:09 PM   #755
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Once the wife got home she helped me set the 4.10 D30 in place. Now I just need to hook everything back up. I started on it, but the wife's sister and hubby is coming over for a visit, so I stopped. The brother-in-law is not a jeep guy, so wrenching ain't happening.

It appears the bolt on the driver side tie-rod ball end doesn't want to go on either. The threads are spining, so I'll have to pick up a new bolt and see if that helps, if not, I'm stumped as how to keep the threads in the ball joint from spinning.

I guess I'll have something to do tomorrow.

Unread 09-03-2010, 05:11 PM   #756
1997_Sport

Not sure if it is the same issue I had, but try jacking up on it, and then tightening it.

No jeep but I do have a 04.5 Cummins with a 4in exhaust, edge j/a, and I guess thats it....for now
Unread 09-03-2010, 05:26 PM   #757
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAXnyj18 View Post
Not sure if it is the same issue I had, but try jacking up on it, and then tightening it.
I tried putting a little pressure on it with my floor jack, but without the u-bolts...need new ones...there isn't much pressure. I'll give that another shot once the u-bolts are in place.

Unread 09-03-2010, 06:12 PM   #758
1997_Sport

Alright like I said it may not even be the issue, I did that on my tie rod end on the drivers side at the knuckle.

No jeep but I do have a 04.5 Cummins with a 4in exhaust, edge j/a, and I guess thats it....for now
Unread 09-04-2010, 07:28 AM   #759
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAXnyj18 View Post
Alright like I said it may not even be the issue, I did that on my tie rod end on the drivers side at the knuckle.
I'm thinking you're right, I just couldn't get any pressure on the tie rod end, without the axle fastened to the springs.

Unread 09-04-2010, 10:17 AM   #760
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yj update

I got the shocks, brakes and axle disconnect all hooked back up this morning. I still need u-bolts, nobody in town has them, so I'll be looking on line here pretty soon.

Once I get the front all buttoned up it'll be time to start dealing with the rear, including my troublesome Tom Woods CV shaft.

Unread 09-04-2010, 10:39 AM   #761
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I just e-mailed Tom Woods about my rear shaft, can't wait to see what he says about it.

Unread 09-04-2010, 08:09 PM   #762
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Progress....

Here are a few photos of my YJ progress...

3.55 D30 gone.

As you can see I didn't completely remove everything, zip-ties are my friend.

4.10 D30 in, I made a bit of mess.

Another view.

This end of the tie rod isn't being nice. Threads must be a bit boogered or something, they spin and spin, so the nut won't go on.

And here's some damage I did.......

Stupid fender flares.

As you can see there are two cuts....second time was worse. Ouch.

Nobody local has u-bolts so I'm going to have to order some before I go any further.

Still haven't convinced myself to sell this thing....I have an attachment to it.

Unread 09-05-2010, 07:30 PM   #763
Bl4cK_kNiF3
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

This end of the tie rod isn't being nice. Threads must be a bit boogered or something, they spin and spin, so the nut won't go on.
if this is what happened to me, the ball socket in the tie rod end broke free, so you have to replace the tie rod end. mind was a stubborn PITA and i had to heat it a ton, spray PB blaster alot, and use 2 big *** pipe wrenches to get it free.

hopefully yours will be easier.

good luck to you, and im glad youre not selling the YJ, its one of my favorites on the forum, and your local to me so i hope to see it in person one day
Green Jeep Club Member #360
Unread 09-05-2010, 09:15 PM   #764
1997_Sport

Yeah I just jacked it up with some decent amount of jacking(cant think of any terms right now) and used an impact and it went right on.

Unread 09-06-2010, 11:20 AM   #765
awillard69
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

And here's some damage I did.......

Stupid fender flares.

As you can see there are two cuts....second time was worse. Ouch.
The thread may not be buggered, it can be tough to get it to plunge deep enough to get the nut fully on - especially with an older component.Make sure the shaft and the tapered hole are clean and dry - no oil or grease. Then it should friction itself together enough for proper torque. If it feels sloppy, may as well replace it.

Sorry about the noggin, I feel for you there..., it's a bummer to have to see it until it heals, another excuse to wear a hat...

Jeeps Going Wild
Friend of Tread Lightly
AB9YC
Closed Thread

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.