Jeffro06's Rubicon - Page 60 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Jeffro06's Rubicon

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-30-2011, 07:23 AM   #886
mallard15
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06

75 WX ST With a Wilson 3" flex antenna and Terra Flex passenger side tail light mount (when it gets here). It also came with the SWR meter, cables, and an external speaker.
That is a very small antenna  haha

Yukon 4.10 R&P Gears Set (300$) PM me
mallard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 08:04 AM   #887
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallard15 View Post
That is a very small antenna  haha
So? It'll clear my roof line, which is all I need. I'm not into the big whips, nor do I wish to talk with truckers 10 miles away.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 08:59 AM   #888
mallard15
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06

So? It'll clear my roof line, which is all I need. I'm not into the big whips, nor do I wish to talk with truckers 10 miles away.
No it said 3" instead of 3'. I was just messing. I have a 4' firestick so I agree. I dont like 18 wheeler antennas either.

Yukon 4.10 R&P Gears Set (300$) PM me
mallard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 09:35 AM   #889
midnight_f150
2002 TJ Wrangler 

jeff you going to run a spring under that Wilson 3' flex antenna. I alway run one of these under my 5' firestick on my truck. I'm not a big fan of the big whips either.
11a.jpg  
midnight_f150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 11:32 AM   #890
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallard15 View Post
No it said 3" instead of 3'. I was just messing. I have a 4' firestick so I agree. I dont like 18 wheeler antennas either.
Oh.....

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs

Unread 03-30-2011, 11:34 AM   #891
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_f150 View Post
jeff you going to run a spring under that Wilson 3' flex antenna. I alway run one of these under my 5' firestick on my truck. I'm not a big fan of the big whips either.
I don't think I'll need a spring, as the Wilson is supposed to flex real good.

Unread 03-30-2011, 01:33 PM   #892
CT-Rich

1995 YJ Wrangler 

When I asked Right Channel Radios if a spring was needed under the wilson antenna they said no. I am looking at the same setup Jeffro and from what others said in this post about the 75 WX I would be interested in some feedback. I only want to talk on the trails but I was going to get the 4' antenna to help clear the roof line if needed.

The Jeep is turning out great, and it will make someone very happy (maybe me)when you go and upgrade Jeeps again.
Unread 03-30-2011, 01:36 PM   #893
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT-Rich View Post
When I asked Right Channel Radios if a spring was needed under the wilson antenna they said no. I am looking at the same setup Jeffro and from what others said in this post about the 75 WX I would be interested in some feedback. I only want to talk on the trails but I was going to get the 4' antenna to help clear the roof line if needed.

The Jeep is turning out great, and it will make someone very happy (maybe me)when you go and upgrade Jeeps again.
Hopefully I'll get 'er installed this weekend (mount pending) and try it out. I'll let you know how I like it for sure.

Unread 03-31-2011, 04:07 PM   #894
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Antenna mount arrived today, guess I'll have a little something to do this weekend.

Unread 04-02-2011, 06:44 PM   #895
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Today I used a file to clean the powder coating out of the mounting holes of the Teraflex mounting bracket, tomorrow I hope to do the CB install. It was really nice today, but I couldn't work on the jeep since we had a b-day party for our twin daughters.

Unread 04-02-2011, 06:52 PM   #896
Apocalypse
2008 JK Wrangler 

I bet you'll be all good. I put mine on today (granted it's the jk mount) and had swr readings of 10 on all channels, the pulled it off and scuffed the inside of the mounting holes and sanded the powder coat off in about a 1/16th inch ring around the mounting hole and was able to tune my antenna down to about 1.5 on all channels. I would also assume my jk mount being mounted through the plastic tire carrier into the tailgate will have even less grounding than your mount ( which attaches to the tub on the passenger side tail light IIRC)

Apocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2011, 07:09 PM   #897
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I did all four mounting holes and the antenna hole, so I'm hoping that'll do the trick. I just hope it doesn't rain tomorrow.

Unread 04-02-2011, 07:22 PM   #898
Apocalypse
2008 JK Wrangler 

Should be all good. It seems as long as you have a half way decent ground it will tune up fine. At least for trail use anyway, good luck!

Apocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2011, 12:52 PM   #899
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Well so far not so good on the CB's SWR readings. I've got 1.2 on CH.1 and 3 on CH.40. I can't make the antenna any shorter, with the adjustment provided.

Edit: I went aheadt and took the adjustment tip out of the antenna. I'm at 1.1 on CH.1 and 2.2 on CH.40. I guess that's going to have to do.

Edit again: All the adjustment problems were my fault. The pig tail coming off the anteanna should NOT be used unless you need it....meaning try to set your SWR before hooking it up. Once I unhooked it (my old CB had it hooked up so I was doing monkey see monkey do I guess) put the adjuter tip back in and it was real close to being dead on. One little adjustment and the SWR on Ch's 1 and 40 is 1.7....on both!

Unread 04-03-2011, 03:20 PM   #900
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

So here's the CB set up. I used a fuse adapter to run the power right from the fuse box, so the CB powers up when the jeep is started.

Teraflex mount.

The power box is hid under the dash.

I looked and looked for the best place to mount the CB/mic and this is what I came up with.

The keys are close, but I have no issues starting the jeep, or grabbing the radio. It's easy to reach and the cord isn't in the way of anything.

I just velcro'd the external speaker to the dash, I can hear it at hwy speeds with the windows down.

I did have some issues getting the antenna tuned, but I think it'll do just fine now. I took it out and tested it, I had no trouble hearing trucker traffic and when I got on 19 and asked for a radio check all was good. I may change my ground, it's just grounded behind the glove box, as I have a bit of interference. If I can find a way through to the battery I'll ground it right to the battery. I really like being able to quickly disconnect the radio/mic and store it out of sight. I'd like to give it a trail test before Moab, but I just don't see that happening.

Tags
badlands , indyorv , jeeps gone wild , photography , rokmen

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.