Jeffro06's Rubicon - Page 48 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Jeffro06's Rubicon

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-26-2011, 09:30 PM   #706
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'm trying to decide on CB, I'm kind of liking the Cobra 75 WX ST Compact. I like how I can hide the main box and just have the microphone on the dash someplace. I really haven't been able to find a place I'd like to mount a normal CB.

It's $218.00, which includes a 3' Wilson Flex Antenna, Terra Flex Passenger Side Light Mount, cable, and a SWR meter.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2011, 11:08 PM   #707
CT-Rich

1995 YJ Wrangler 

That's the one I'm getting for the same reason, no good space,
It also is good for security.
Unread 02-27-2011, 12:37 AM   #708
JJeeper09
2004 TJ Wrangler 

They don't transmit well. My Father is a CB fanatic and fixes radios and wouldn't let me buy one. There are other compacts of that size will work better. Uniden, icom, and my favorite, mini mag.
Unread 02-27-2011, 09:26 AM   #709
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJeeper09 View Post
They don't transmit well. My Father is a CB fanatic and fixes radios and wouldn't let me buy one. There are other compacts of that size will work better. Uniden, icom, and my favorite, mini mag.
I read quite a few reviews, didn't see anything bad. I'm not looking for 10-mile range, just a good trail set up. A mile or two of coverage would make me happy.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs

Unread 02-27-2011, 01:00 PM   #710
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Oba

I decided to go ahead and mount the Superflow MV-50 under the hood today.

I decided to mount it on the fender instead of the ABS tray. The tray was more cramped, and it was more of a water risk being so low.

I only used two 5/16 stainless steel bolts with nylock nuts, some washers and a couple of rubber grommets to help with vibrations. I cut off the alligator clips and attached the wires to the battery terminals using some ring connectors, which are corrosion resistant, vibration resistant and have waterproof heat shrink.

After I drilled the two holes in the fender I gave the holes a coat of rustonleum paint. I also wedged a rubber grommet between the MV-50 and the fender, for vibration purposes as well.

The entire install only took about 15-miuntes. I'll just keep the hose in the jeep, but I could probably leave it in a bag on the ABS tray if I wanted to.

After I installed the pump I noticed an issue was developing, it must have started after the first time I filled all four tires.

The in-line fuse is melting. I went ahead and aired down one tire to 12 psi and filled it back up to 28 psi, which took just under 2 minutes. During the airing up the fuse started to melt again.

Anyone have a suggestion as to how I fix that? I'd hate to have this thing quit on me the first trip out.

Unread 02-27-2011, 01:17 PM   #711
jaminb
1999 TJ Wrangler 

you need to beef up the wiring, thicker wire, and a different fuse holder will help alot. What amp is that fuse?
jaminb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2011, 01:25 PM   #712
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminb View Post
you need to beef up the wiring, thicker wire, and a different fuse holder will help alot. What amp is that fuse?
I don't know how I'd go about beefing up the wiring, cause I'm not about to take it apart. The fuse is a 30 amp.

I just did a quick google search and found a few stories about it melting the fuse, one even started it on fire.... I hadn't read any such horror stories here on JF.

Hopefully there's a doable fix.

Maybe cutting off all the excess wire would be of help? Less resistance that way? I'm no electrician, so I really have no idea.

Unread 02-27-2011, 02:09 PM   #713
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I think he is just talking about getting thicker wire to run for power. A new fuse holder would be needed to handle the thicker wire, but do not use a larger fuse.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2011, 02:19 PM   #714
Rubicon_Rob04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like the fuse blade connection in that holder that was not tight and caused it to heat up.

You just need to cut it out. Get a butt splice and push the barrel out of the plastic with a golf tee or pencil, use an uninsulated crimp tool and dimple the connector opposite the seam in the barrel, tape the splice with some quality tape like 33+.

Cut a 30A rubber covered fuse holder in as close to the battery as you can. The 15 or 20 foot of wire wont cause enough resistance to be an issue, its the resistance of a loose connection causing the issue.

I'd try and see if a smaller fuse will hold the load when you get it back together, its always best to have your protection sized as close to the actual load as possible. These companies always put the max fuse inline.
Rubicon_Rob04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2011, 03:43 PM   #715
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I went ahead and cut the wire at the fuse holder, spliced in a 10g wire 30 amp fuse holder and ran 10g wire, instead of the stock 14g, to the battery. I cut it to length, no longer than needed. I still have about 8" of the 14g wire coming out of the pump, but from there it's 10g. I aired down a tire, filled it back up, and there was no melting or smoking like there was before. Maybe it was just a bad fuse holder, or maybe it wasn't tightened all the way, in any case it's been modified.

A plus to the new wire is that I now have a strand of black and a strand of yellow, instead of two black wires. At least now I'll know which wire goes to which battery terminal...black to black in case you're wondering.

Unread 02-27-2011, 05:48 PM   #716
midnight_f150
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Hey jeff you might want to check out this antenna. Back when I asked about CB and antenna for my YJ a guy post this link http://www.gijoesradioelectronics.co...idproduct=1173 to some K40 super flex antenna. He post this picture to show me how well they flex and bend.
cimg1168.jpg  
midnight_f150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2011, 05:52 PM   #717
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_f150 View Post
Hey jeff you might want to check out this antenna. Back when I asked about CB and antenna for my YJ a guy post this link http://www.gijoesradioelectronics.co...idproduct=1173 to some K40 super flex antenna. He post this picture to show me how well they flex and bend.
The wilson 3' or 4' flex is supposed to bend 180 degrees...much like the photo you posted. I've read the Firestick, non-flex, transmits further, but is more prone to breakage. So I think I'll go flexible.

Unread 02-27-2011, 06:00 PM   #718
midnight_f150
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have had good luck with both the firestick and wilson. But that 10ft steel whip my uncle sold me took a beating.
midnight_f150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2011, 06:05 PM   #719
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJeeper09 View Post
Agreed. I have talked to guys about CBs like this that work at shops and they do not recommend this at all. It barely can work one mile is what I've heard and I trust CB experts over internet reviews anyday...

Just giving another opinion Jeff.

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2011, 06:08 PM   #720
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442Wrangler View Post
Agreed. I have talked to guys about CBs like this that work at shops and they do not recommend this at all. It barely can work one mile is what I've heard and I trust CB experts over internet reviews anyday...

Just giving another opinion Jeff.
That kind of sucks, since I'd like to have the hidden away benefits of it.

Tags
badlands , indyorv , jeeps gone wild , photography , rokmen

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.