Jeffro06's Rubicon - Page 17 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Jeffro06's Rubicon

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 01-01-2011, 04:15 PM   #241
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thinking out loud here, but with my new spare only being a few pounds heavier than the stock spare I don't really see the need for a new rear bumper / tire carrier. Once I figure in weight and price I'm not sure it's worth it. I'm now considering a LoD rear bumper w/out the carrier. A couple hundred bucks is a whole lot easier to swallow than 6-hundred. Odds are I won't be upgrading my tire size for at least 3 years, maybe more.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2011, 04:23 PM   #242
JJeeper09
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thats not a bad idea. Swing outs are good to have though, thats why i finished mine. PM BESRK(eddie) you will be satisfied with the price
JJeeper09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2011, 05:02 PM   #243
kuruma
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Jeff, While I agree with you about weight savings and cash savings, the thing that drew me to LOD and Jeeperman carriers, which I went with, is the fact that you can add to them as you progress. I see myself going for extended outings in the future so a system that is already set up to expand with Jerry can holders and a sturdy rack are a big plus. The other issue is that if you know you're going to go up in tire size eventually, why not set up your rig to get to that point. I'd much rather spend money once and have it look a little odd for a while than eventually spend 100+ for a tire carrier that I'll have to replace with another 600+ system to handle a 33-35. Just my take on things.
kuruma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2011, 05:26 PM   #244
muckinfudder
2002 TJ Wrangler 

the LOD are nice thats what i have on mine
muckinfudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2011, 06:27 PM   #245
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Appreciate the thoughts / opinoins. $500 more for the tire carrier is a lot of cash for something I may not need.....that's a set of sliders right there.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs

Unread 01-01-2011, 09:58 PM   #246
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
Thinking out loud here, but with my new spare only being a few pounds heavier than the stock spare I don't really see the need for a new rear bumper / tire carrier. Once I figure in weight and price I'm not sure it's worth it. I'm now considering a LoD rear bumper w/out the carrier. A couple hundred bucks is a whole lot easier to swallow than 6-hundred. Odds are I won't be upgrading my tire size for at least 3 years, maybe more.
Quote:
Appreciate the thoughts / opinoins. $500 more for the tire carrier is a lot of cash for something I may not need.....that's a set of sliders right there.
I couldn't agree more with you. A bumper/tire carrier is both a lot of weight, price and bulk. You already have a place to carry your spare and I agree that $500.00 could better spent than on a heavy chunk of steel hanging off the back of your Jeep.
Unread 01-01-2011, 10:04 PM   #247
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Chunk that 500 at the sliders for some quality side protection.

Tire carriers are over rated. Your stock one will do fine.
Hendrix is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2011, 10:10 PM   #248
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFuzz View Post
I couldn't agree more with you. A bumper/tire carrier is both a lot of weight, price and bulk. You already have a place to carry your spare and I agree that $500.00 could better spent than on a heavy chunk of steel hanging off the back of your Jeep.
That's exactly why I decided not to go with the tire carrier. I went with the extreme duty rear bumper.

Just placed the order.

Unread 01-01-2011, 10:11 PM   #249
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
Chunk that 500 at the sliders for some quality side protection.
That's my plan.

Unread 01-01-2011, 10:33 PM   #250
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That's exactly why I decided not to go with the tire carrier. I went with the extreme duty rear bumper.

Just placed the order.
Nicely done. What's that bumper run?
Unread 01-01-2011, 10:35 PM   #251
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFuzz View Post
Nicely done. What's that bumper run?
$228 shipped. And if anyone said they could get it cheaper....shut up. The tire carrier I was looking at was $738 delivered....

Unread 01-01-2011, 10:57 PM   #252
Lamont_24
1999 TJ Wrangler 

LOD makes great bumpers. My dad has the signigture series and it is NICE! So many bolts on, its very sturdy. The back up lights are nice too. But that bumper was I think $900 shipped? Too expensive for my taste.
[COLOR="Indigo"]Purple Jeep Club member #13[/COLOR]
Lamont_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 07:57 AM   #253
Recoil
1988 MJ Comanche 

http://www.tntcustoms.com/tjrockerprotection.aspx

\/ \/ \/
EPIC
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 08:21 AM   #254
JJeeper09
2004 TJ Wrangler 

you have those to right? i might get those for the new jeep. good coverage under the tub?
JJeeper09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 09:23 AM   #255
Recoil
1988 MJ Comanche 

Yeah. Goes very far. Fir the best coverage check out their guardian sliders.

\/ \/ \/
EPIC
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
badlands , indyorv , jeeps gone wild , photography , rokmen

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.