Jeffro06's Rubicon - Page 139 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Jeffro06's Rubicon

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-19-2012, 10:43 AM   #2071
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Well it might not do as much as some but its still a good product instead of a costly custom build cage.

MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 10:59 AM   #2072
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJeeper09 View Post
I don't trust that cage at all.
Why's that James? Lack of triangulation over head? Or because it's a bolt on system?

I ask because I'm looking for cages and I'm most likely going to go with fully welded vs bolt on.
Unread 06-19-2012, 12:26 PM   #2073
JJeeper09
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Bolt on, lack of triangulation, and the sanctions don't go to the floor, they bolt into the dash and call it quits.

If I were to do it again, I would go with poly or something similar. The front needs to be strong and the rear is easier to make pieces your own.
Unread 06-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #2074
JJeeper09
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan864
Well it might not do as much as some but its still a good product instead of a costly custom build cage.
If I'm going to spend money I don't want it to kind protect me in a flop. That's like saying I know it's not gunna do anything in a roll but at least it wasn't as much as a custom one. I would go with BTF or POLY
Unread 06-19-2012, 01:00 PM   #2075
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJeeper09 View Post
Bolt on, lack of triangulation, and the sanctions don't go to the floor, they bolt into the dash and call it quits.
If I were to do it again, I would go with poly or something similar. The front needs to be strong and the rear is easier to make pieces your own.
I saw that but couldn't quite make out if it just stopped at the dash. Wow, that's lame, makes you "feel" and appear like you have protection but you really don't.
Unread 06-19-2012, 01:13 PM   #2076
JJeeper09
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2CARPEN

I saw that but couldn't quite make out if it just stopped at the dash. Wow, that's lame, makes you "feel" and appear like you have protection but you really don't.
Looks good until you open the door
Unread 06-20-2012, 09:16 PM   #2077
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I still don't have my Rokmen sliders back... I can't really be too mad because my body guy has been trying to get a Corvette ready for a show that starts tomorrow, so I'll cut him some slack. I'm still dying to get them back on.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 06:04 AM   #2078
laduckslayer
2006 LJ Wrangler 

How did I miss the new Xenon's? I guess my calendar was set for today....

Looks very good. As someone said, the sliders will tie it all together nicely. Not sure I would have gone the pro paint way, but I'm sure yours look better than my hammered rattle can finish....

You mentioned your shallow DOF ~ I would have thought the bokeh would have been different.

Any plans to trim the rear wheel wells?

[SIZE="5"][COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"][FONT="Arial"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/06-rubi-lj-big-thunder-1348505/"]Big Thunder[/URL][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
laduckslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 06:21 AM   #2079
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laduckslayer View Post
How did I miss the new Xenon's? I guess my calendar was set for today....

Looks very good. As someone said, the sliders will tie it all together nicely. Not sure I would have gone the pro paint way, but I'm sure yours look better than my hammered rattle can finish....

You mentioned your shallow DOF ~ I would have thought the bokeh would have been different.

Any plans to trim the rear wheel wells?
The paint it free, so I figured why not?

If I had shot wide open the bokeh would have been different....well, like this actually...

But then the DOF is too shallow to get the entire jeep in focus....from that angle anyway.

No plans to trim anything, unless someday it's needed, and right now it's not needed.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs

Unread 06-21-2012, 03:40 PM   #2080
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Sliders were stripped to bare metal today, should be ready to pick up tomorrow. I'm hoping, but not holding my breath.

Unread 06-22-2012, 07:34 PM   #2081
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I got my sliders back today. I put one on and hated it. The hole was ok, but since the flare couldn't sit flush with the fender, due to the width of the slider, it left a 1/4" gap (at least) between the flare and fender and looked like crap.

It looked fine from the side.....

...and I did pretty good on my angle cut, but I couldn't stand the gap.

I decided to cut straight lines from the side and bottom of the circle I had cut out, notching out a spot for the flare to sit flush against the fender, while maintaining most of the protection I had from my angled cut.

I think the sliders tie it all together. The black they used to paint the sliders is a bit too glossy, compared to the Cloaks and corners, so as soon as they get scuffed up I'll be rattle canning them to match.

And now for the finished product....

Ok, now for a funny bit of info that I've been holding back..

Remember how I was worried about cutting my sliders and screwing them up? Well I did..kind of, but not really.

You see, I drilled the hole in one slider, then set up for the second slider. The thing is, I got all turned around some how. I guess I had my head up my *** and wasn't paying attention to what the hell I was doing, because I started to drill that big *** hole on the wrong end of the slider.....

Thankfully I noticed it and stopped, but not before this happened.....

Since my sliders needed to be re-painted, due to the peeling of the clear coat, I figured it was a good time to have my mistake welded up. So my body guy blasted the sliders, then filled the boo-boo, and made the slider as good as new.

I've had some real screwball goof ups here lately.....must be the old age.

So in closing, here's that BW shot from above in color....

Unread 06-22-2012, 08:32 PM   #2082
JeepinAaron
2003 WJ 

I'm a fan....I might have to do this to my LJ.
Unread 06-22-2012, 08:36 PM   #2083
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinAaron View Post
I'm a fan....I might have to do this to my LJ.
Thanks. I really like how it turned out.

Unread 06-23-2012, 05:40 AM   #2084
Recoil
1988 MJ Comanche 

Jeff your jeep is perfect man. Just the right amount of armor. Looks great.

Whats next?

Personally I say go get a sheet of 1/4" and make a flat skid. It's not very difficult and is worth the effort

\/ \/ \/
EPIC
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2012, 06:38 AM   #2085
laduckslayer
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Looks great! Do you have a pic that shows the gap? Like you say, it looked fine from the side.

[SIZE="5"][COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"][FONT="Arial"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/06-rubi-lj-big-thunder-1348505/"]Big Thunder[/URL][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
laduckslayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
badlands , indyorv , jeeps gone wild , photography , rokmen

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.