Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
631K views 4K replies 196 participants last post by  NashvilleTJ 
#1 ·
Today I sold my YJ. Here's one last shot of it....

I decided to close my build thread for the YJ, because it would just make me sad to keep looking back at it everytime someone posted something there, now it can slowly fade away...:laugh:

I always wanted a Rubicon, and was able to aquire this one:

It's first dirt....lol.

It's a 2006, Automatic, air, cruise, 6-disc CD, Canadian model. Being from Canada it has daytime running lights, that you can't just turn off. It had the instrument panel swapped out when it crossed the border as well. It had around 27,800 miles on it when I picked it up, and the MTR's were wore pretty good, so new shoes will be coming soon.

I decided he milk jugs needed to go asap....

Now you see them....

Now you don't.

They don't even look good laying in the grass.

My customary night shot.

I didn't waste anytime taking it wheeling, this was @ The Badlands.

The only "mod" I've done so far is getting a set of Husky Liner's for the interior. I had them in the YJ and loved them.

Now that the YJ is gone, and I have a few bucks to spend, I'll be making some more changes in the very near future. This build will be more towards how I actually wheel, based on what I learned over the last 3 1/2 years with the YJ. I probably won't go as tall as I had before. This will be my daily driver and see trails on occassion...maybe 6 times a year on average.

See less See more
#2 ·
Trying to decide on tires, I'm getting LT265/75 R16's......

Mickey Thompson MTZ's or Goodyear MTR's w/Kevlar.

I'm leaning towards the MTZ's, based on the driving I'll do. I fear the noise of the MTR's.

#4 ·
It looks like the MTR w/Kevlar are cheaper than the MTZ's....so that could be a deciding factor as well.

I've got a couple of ideas as to which direction I could go with the build. I'm having a hard time deciding which way that should be.

I'm trying to decide between going with an Old Man Emu 2.5" lift or staying with the stock suspension and getting Metalcloaks, with the Overlines up front. I'm only looking at moving up one tire size from stock, LT265/75 R16's will suit my needs.

After having the YJ I really don't want to be messing with driveline issues, so if getting the OME lift is going to cause vibes and require a new rear shaft and adjustable control arms I'll probably stay with the stock suspension, for now anyway.

Hmmm, what to do?

#5 ·
It looks like the MTR w/Kevlar are cheaper than the MTZ's....so that could be a deciding factor as well.

I've got a couple of ideas as to which direction I could go with the build. I'm having a hard time deciding which way that should be.

I'm trying to decide between going with an Old Man Emu 2.5" lift or staying with the stock suspension and getting Metalcloaks, with the Overlines up front. I'm only looking at moving up one tire size from stock, LT265/75 R16's will suit my needs.

After having the YJ I really don't want to be messing with driveline issues, so if getting the OME lift is going to cause vibes and require a new rear shaft and adjustable control arms I'll probably stay with the stock suspension, for now anyway.

Ive got the OME 2.5" kit on my 1999 TJ, I only have a very slight low speed, and that is with no t case drop. So i wouldnt worry about driveline vibrations.

Hmmm, what to do?
Ive got the OME 2.5" kit on my 1999 TJ, I only have a very slight low speed vibration, and that is with no t case drop. So i wouldnt worry about driveline vibrations.

#7 ·
Jeffro. My dad has been running the MTZs for about 7000 miles never rotated. He said they are a bit louder than my Mtrs were.

I would definatly go for the Mtrs w/Kevlar you will love them.

As for the lift I would say overlines and some good upper and lower control arms then call it good.
After checking prices and availability it looks like it will be the MTR's. One thing I know for sure is: I need new tires. Everything else is more of a want than a need.

#8 ·
I've been looking and looking, right now I'm thinking the OME HD 2" lift, instead of the 2.5" lift. I'm trying to keep the wife and kids happy at the same time...lol. I figure if I need more clearance for tires, MetalCloaks would cure that.

It seems it's more fun to dream about what I'd do to my jeep than it is to actually have to make a decision...lol. It's a bit stressfull, hoping it turns out right and you don't end up saying...wish I would have done.....

#11 ·
Hey Mopar still makes those block off plates for the front and rear bumpers. They replace those ugly Jugs.
The ugly jugs are gone. :laugh: Once I'm done with lift / tires / possible fenders and sliders / I'll see if there's enough left for a winch and new bumper.

#10 ·
First decision made, I just ordered the OME HD 2" lift w/stabilizer. Once that's on I'll see if I get any vibes, if so I deal with that before making any more decisions, well except for tires that is.

#13 ·
Thanks.....:laugh:

My lift has shipped :banana:

I think I'm going to order a Savvy Antirock sway bar, instead of diso's, hopefully it'll fit with the 2" lift. The YJ spoiled me, never having to dico you know..:laugh:

The next few weeks, or months should be fun as I get to pick out new stuff. :D

#14 ·
Currie Antirock ordered!

#16 ·
Thanks, as I start to build the Rubi, I'll start missing the YJ a little less. :laugh:

#17 ·
265/75R16 MTR's w/Kevlar ordered.

#18 ·
What size is that in non metric?

#19 ·
31.9x10.5's so 32's.

#21 ·
I'm hoping. :D

To put a visual on the things I've ordered thus far:

Now......where's that brown truck? :teehee:

#23 ·
Looks like a really nice Jeep you have there. I can't wait to see the stuff starting to go on. I love that you are taking what you learned in the past and running with it and buying quality stuff. You will have to cut down the links for the AR. Ask imped if you have questions about that.

I have to ask, why the OME HD over the regular rate springs? Those tires should be really nice. My regular MT/Rs were not that loud until my family negleted to rotate them like I said to while I am here at college. I was home last weekend and they got louder than they used to be (about 5k after they should have been rotated). I hear nothing but good things about the Kevlars, and they are supposed to be better in every single category.

#25 ·
My lift is supposed to be here today and my antirock is scheduled for delivery on Monday. My tires are getting mounted Monday as well. Hopefully the Rubi will see some major change next week.

#30 ·
No can do.

This is going to be a sweet build, just like the YJ!
I hope so.

Will you be doing a BL and MML as well? Savvy underarmor?? Better jump on those Rokmen arms while they have free shipping. You know youll want 35's 6 months from now.
No BL, MML or under armor just yet. For the wheeling I do 35's aren't needed, and until I can justify the regear I'll be happy with the 32s. If I end up needing control arms the Rokmens are what I was looking at.

#31 ·
Today it's like Christmas....or my birthday (which is Friday).....:D

It all goes on Wednesday.:banana:

#41 ·
Back on topic.....

Adjustable front track bar?
Not yet, but if I need it, I'll get one. I'm waiting to see if the lift gives me any vibes and whether or not I need to buy anything to correct them.

#34 ·
NO. 4.10 is too high for 31"s. It should have been geared with 4.56 from the factory. The auto has a .69:1 OD ratio. It is stupid high. I would love 5.89 for 35"s which is possible with new lockers. Mudb8 has plans to do that. Not sure if he has had the time or money to follow through yet.

#39 ·
5.89's in a rubi 44 would be stupid. Your gears would be too weak. Anyways... With the 42rle, 5.13's is as good as it gets for 35's. Anything else is a compromise. Hell, even 5.13's is a compromise, but it's the best you can do without giving up too much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.