Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Jeffery 2.0 - some assembly required

202K views 1K replies 99 participants last post by  Tbunse 
#1 ·
Well I think it was finally time to start a build tread over here on JF.

I started with this pile of heep.
It was pretty much stripped down, had a bent frame. I bought it for the tub and title.

And my plans for this build are the following

Drive Train
-3.9 Cummins 4bt Turbo Diesel
*cut down 6bt exhaust manifold
*cut down 6bt intake plate w/ air horn
*he341 turbo​
-NV4500 trans
-Atlas II (3.0)
-1979 Ford HP D60 (ARB, Factory Ten Chromoly's, 4.56, Artec Trust, Ried Racing Knuckles)
-1985 14b (ARB, 4.56, shaved to 13b, Artec Trust)
-40" Goodyear MTR Old School (1st set)
-ORI Struts (14")

Armor
-TnT hi-line zeros
-Custom made boat sides
-Custom made phantom hi-line front fenders.

Interior
-Custom Roll cage w/ integrated dash
-Corbeau Baja Ultra SS seats
-Custom Tool box in the rear
-Fuel cell behind the seats.

Specs
-105-106" Wheelbase
-5" rear stretch
-7"ish front stretch
-22" at skid plate
-5.5" up travel
-8.5" down travel
-Not sure the total amount of lift over stock, but should be around 4-5"

I have collected most of the parts for the build, and over my college winter break I got started on the build

Links to my Trips

3-16-2013 - Shake Down Run @ Bandlands - Attica, IN

4-20-2013 - Day at the Bandlands - Attica, IN

5-18-2013 - Week of Wheeling in Moab
- Dome Plateau
- Top of The World
- Fins-N-Things
- Poison Spider
- Golden Spike
- Gold Bar Rim
- Hell's Revenge
- Escalator
- Baby Lion Back
- Cliff Hanger
- Moab Rim
- Kane Creek Canyon
- Strike Ravine
- Potato Salad Hill
- Helldorado

9-14-2013 - Day at the Bandlands - Attica, IN

10-24-2013 - Weekend in Harlan, Ky @ Black Mountain Off Road

12-7-2013 - Toys for Tots @ Bandlands - Attica, IN

3-29-2014 - IndyORV Open Run @ Badlands - Attica, IN

8-8-2014 - Week of Wheeling in Colorado
- 21Rd
- Die Tryin'
- Black Bear
- Imogene Pass
- Yankee Boy Basin
- Governors Basin
- Red Mountain
- Phorpyry Gulch
- Alta Lakes, Ohpir Pass
- Alpine Loop
*Mineral Creek
*Poughkeepsie Gulch
*Cinnamon Pass
*Engineer Pass
- Carnage Canyon
- Holy Cross

9-27-2014 - IndyORV Members Only Run @ Mission Impossible - Attica, IN

8-10-2015 - Week of Wheeling, Rubicon Trail

Build starts here
For the 14b I went and got UCF 13b shaved cover.
I put the cover on, marked the cut and went at it

Cleaned it up with a flapper wheel, and bolted the stock cover on, so I could see the clearance gained. (1.25")

I knew I was going to need to do a 1" body lift, so instead of doing pucks, I went with Gen Rights body mount lift.

Old

New

Then my friend cut off the back half

I went with the atx back half kit the second go around. I first tried it will using 2x3 tubing coming off the frame, but I was not happy with the angles I got.

I plan on doing something different in the rear, out side of the tub. But for now it looks like this.

Then on the front half of the frame I made some cuts and got rid of the drop down section.
I left the tubes 9" long cause I might have to stretch it a few inch from factory so I can fit a winch up from.
*BEFORE

*AFTER

When I did this I made an L cut, cause I was stepping down from 2.5" to 2", and it worked great.

Well I got to work on pulling the engine.
I chopped up the grill a little, there was no way I was going to pull it out the side door like they say to do.

God was it greasy

Half a gallon of de-greaser and a power washer, cleaned it up pretty good.

See less See more
#128 ·
:quote: Finished up the york mount.
I had to get rid of the automatic tension-er and I am using the idler pulley on top to tension the belt. There is an 1" of up travel for that pulley.
:quote:

So just looking over this amazing build Agian and I wanted to know what does the York do? And what is it necessary?

95 YJ 2.5 4 banger with 4"rancho lift on top of 33x12.5/15

#129 ·
Its a York AC compressor. You can re purpose them and make them in to an air compressor. Seeing as I am running ARB's I'm not a fan of the little electric compressors so I opted for one of these.

#130 ·
felt like **** today so I did nothing to the jeep. But here are some things I did yesterday.

Exhaust cover

Then some ideas for front fenders. I have two Ideas in mind and I am leaning towards this kind of style.

#131 ·
ksilovich said:
felt like **** today so I did nothing to the jeep. But here are some things I did yesterday.

Exhaust cover

Then some ideas for front fenders. I have two Ideas in mind and I am leaning towards this kind of style.
Guess you do not have plans for a heater? Other than the down pipe in the passenger floor. :rofl:

Looks great dude. You going to wheel in Oct at badlands?

#133 ·
I actually will have a small heater. It is going where the battery is at in that photo.
I plan on going but no way in hell I will be done when my cage isnt even started. I plan on just tagging along.

How is it driven by belt or are you just making it a beefy electric one instead of a small electric? Lol just trying to figure things out for when I start my build

Its driven from the engine belt.

#132 ·
ksilovich said:
Its a York AC compressor. You can re purpose them and make them in to an air compressor. Seeing as I am running ARB's I'm not a fan of the little electric compressors so I opted for one of these.
How is it driven by belt or are you just making it a beefy electric one instead of a small electric? Lol just trying to figure things out for when I start my build

#135 ·
Yea i thinking im sticking them like that. I just have to get some AL tube ordered. I love the boat sides also. Cant wait to skin them with some AL. :D

See hendrix, let there be a heater :laugh:

Then I also made a shifter, just have to buy a knob.

#136 ·
ksilovich said:
Yea i thinking im sticking them like that. I just have to get some AL tube ordered. I love the boat sides also. Cant wait to skin them with some AL. :D

See hendrix, let there be a heater :laugh:

Then I also made a shifter, just have to buy a knob.
Very good progress, now finish up something before moving on to more. I gotta see her finished before winter.

#137 ·
Hello pot, meet kettle....:teehee:

#139 ·
ksilovich said:
Why dont you get your a** up here and lend a hand :D
My target date is to make it to the T4T run in Dec.

Well I keep jumping around. I cut down the intake manifold to clear the brake booster.

Then I cut down the battery tray 2". Had to clear the turbo, and I am going to try to run the air filter on top of it.
What brake booster is that? I am thinking I want to put hydro brakes on my other Jeep I am building.

#141 ·
So i spent the last two days finishing up the dash.
I cut out all the holes for the switches and gauges. In addition I made a access door for all my fuses and relays.

I used all SS counter suck hardware, and put the hinges inside the dash. That way you are less likely to cut your leg up on it.

Then when I did this. My girlfriend did some little stuff. Like making a battery tie down, rear body mount, and some other little things.

#143 ·

So my GF is at it again. She impressed me tonight. She offered to make the other rear link cover. So I let her do most of the work and it turned out great.

Then when she did that I worked on the front end.
I drilled the hole for the turn signals.

Then I worked on the front suck down. I put a piece of 3/8" round bar at the end of the winch plate, and made a removable pin coming off the radiator mount, but I will have to brace the radiator mount some more now.

#144 ·
Wasnt liking the front suck down so I cut the tabs off and creating a new way to do it all.

Today I built the upper radiator mounts and got the PS cooler in. Then I spent like forever in napa, auto zone, and o'reilly's to try and find some radiator hoses. I was able to get an upper one, and I was able to get a lead on a lower one. If I cant find a lower I will just make my own.

#147 ·
Wow sir. Great fab. This machine is great, I would love to spend 4 hours just sitting and looking at all the subtle mods you have made (as well as the rest of them too). I think I just looked at the last pic above for 5 minutes just trying to figure out why, where and what you have done in that tight space. Crazy sick fab. That is all

#148 ·
This build is sick. I need to acquire some fabrication skills like you have. I like the style of your build. Keeping the COG low with maintaining a lot of clearance. Plus that power plant under the hood is going to be sick.

#149 ·
Crazy build. Can't wait to see this thing out of the garage. It's awesome that your girlfriend has fab skills to make you link covers... mine installed my Firestik bracket once and I was pretty proud of that, let alone welding and fabricating. Simple question, where'd you get the LED turn signals? I've been trying to find small ones that won't take up the whole grille and those look good.

#150 ·
Thanks for the compliments!!!

Simple question, where'd you get the LED turn signals? I've been trying to find small ones that won't take up the whole grille and those look good.
Mine are just 2" clearance marker lights. They are only 2 wire led. So what you do is add 2 diodes and a resister to make them a 3 wire turn signal. I did that on my last jeep and on my truck back rack.

When I get to that point of wiring it all I take some photos and explain what i did. Its not hard to do at all. But then again I am an electrical engineer :rofl:

#151 ·
Electrical engineer is what i need.. i am starting my wiring today and honestly it might as well be greek or Spanish

Awesome build. Love it

#153 ·
Electrical engineer is what i need.. i am starting my wiring today and honestly it might as well be greek or Spanish

Awesome build. Love it
Its not that hard to wire these things up. These engines are simple :D.

For now I've got 3/4" LED markers in my TNTs as turn signals, which I will switch to the running lights and run the 2" markers as turn signals when the time comes.
Sounds good. Its really not hard to make the 2 wire to a 3 if you really want to make the 2" light a running light and turn light. I think I have some photos of it on my computer back at school. I check when I head back tomorrow.

Well today was the only day I worked on the jeep all week end. And of coarse I ran into problems. My radiator was 1/4" too low for my ram PS hose. :thumbdown:

So i had to raise the whole radiator up and it was a *****. Once I finished that I made all the power steering hoses.

I also got my South Bend Clutch on friday. Dam this thing wasnt cheap

#154 ·
worked on some more hoses.
Took me awhile to figure out where the second heater hose connects to. Come to find out if you remove one of the temp switch on the side there is a 1/2 npt fitting. So i got my self a 1/2npt to 5/8 barb and it work great.

Upper heater hose

Found me a lower radiator hose.

Then I bent up a tube for my front suck down winch. Just waiting for it to come in the mail

#155 ·
Drew up some logic today after class. It will combined my rear turn and brake signal to one wire. It will also combined my front turn and running lights to one wire. In addition it will control my low/high fan. With the addition of lighting a red led when I switch the fan off. Then there is the Engine Fault LED, Low radiator level LED, low window wiper fluid LED, parking brake LED.
Inputs on the left, Outputs on the right

I could have used a micro controller to do most of this, but for right now I just want the fast and simple way. Later on I might clean up the relays with an IC. But for now this will do.

#164 ·
Who made your hydro assist hoses? Can you remember how long they are? Thanks.

Btw my hood is already set up for auto fab hood pins. :shh:
I made all the hoses myself. I used Russell stainless steel 6an power steering lines and then Russell hose ends. I have no idea on the lengths cause all i did is put one end on then I ran the hose, dropped the axle and cut the line. I never pulled a tape measure out once doing it. LOL

Hose - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-632640
90* end - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-620421/
straight end - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-620401
6an to 1/4npt - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-220647B

I have some 3an hoses and fittings to do for all my brake lines.

As for the hood, tell me when I can pick it up. I have your dollar in my wallet with your name on it :laugh:

#166 ·
Working on the inter cooler tubing today. And I made my self a use full tool. And the best part is that it only costed $10 bucks :D

Load in Vice

Insert tube

Tighten vice and rotate and you get this

It can accept any size washer and exhaust clamp so it will do almost any size tubing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.