Jeffery 2.0 - some assembly required - Page 48 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Jeffery 2.0 - some assembly required

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 10-31-2013, 12:03 PM   #706
JJeeper09
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Pics from the trip?

Unread 10-31-2013, 12:07 PM   #707
kellerumps
See Ya Coach.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I would do Heims no matter what Currie says.

Member of: IndyOrv
kellerumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 01:47 PM   #708
ksilovich
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJeeper09 View Post
Pics from the trip?
If I get the time to upload some LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellerumps View Post
I would do Heims no matter what Currie says.
Why is that Doug. I want to here your reason, and not just because.
Unread 10-31-2013, 01:54 PM   #709
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Curious as to why you think the roll contributed to the play in the JJ. They get beat on pretty good in normal axle loads.

"Evolution through carnage, the Jeep will keep what it needs."
Danno6102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 01:59 PM   #710
ksilovich
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxracer View Post
As for the winch, I picked up a M8000 on craigslist for $250 a year ago. Thing never stalls, won't die, and has pulled other Jeeps when their XXXXX brand winches die. I'm officially a Warn believer now.

As for the tie rod, 7075 should bend back but I would rather see some 1.5 .375 wall DOM or 1.5 .250 wall 4130/4340. Heretic Fab on Pirate sells a kit for $150 but you'll have to weld the inserts.

My current plan for my Eaton HO72/D60 front is 1.5x.375 wall tapped and threaded, possibly heat treat and cryo. Drag link and track bar will be 1.25 .250 wall. 3/4" or 7/8" heims for all steering, double shear everything. Just another two cents for you since you're running 40's and like to wheel it.
I might sell this winch they are sending me. Or throw it on the trailer and get a new one for my jeep.

The tie rod will bend back. NO reason to do steel. I fawked up a 1.5 x 0.25 DOM tie rod on my last jeep. Ill stick with AL. Plus AL solid AL is stronger end that DOM, plus you save ALOT of weight. Which I really need to do. I dont want to be any heavier. I dont need to buy no kits. A buddy owns a machine shop. All I have to do is go down to Indy for a weekend and make a new AL tierod 6" longer to remove the week chevy TRE.

The reason my 7075 tie rod bent, was because I was hauling *** in a wet rock garden and nailed the tierod right on a rock. Stopped me dead cold.
Steering will all be 7/8" heims like my track bar currently.

My new set up will be similar to what artec has on the market. The only difference is, I am designing and milling out the arms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102 View Post
Curious as to why you think the roll contributed to the play in the JJ. They get beat on pretty good in normal axle loads.
They were fine before that wheeling trip. Plus all the damage I had done was up front in the roll. It had enough force to tweak one of my lower link brackets. Plus that is when I bent my TRE.
Unread 10-31-2013, 02:00 PM   #711
kellerumps
See Ya Coach.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksilovich View Post
If I get the time to upload some LOL

Why is that Doug. I want to here your reason, and not just because.
My reason is pretty simple. Every hardcore rig I have ever looked at has them. When I redo my front, I'm going with Heims and I dont wheel 1/2 as hard as you do(Yet). I dont believe in re-inventing the wheel.

I think JJ's have a place but you are running 40's, with Huge Torque, and a heavy *** rig. Sorry...I think you are maxing them out.

For what you have and want, I would trust a Ruff-Stuff Heim over a JJ any day of week and twice on a weekend. Just my $.02.

Unread 10-31-2013, 02:46 PM   #712
ksilovich
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
My reason is pretty simple. Every hardcore rig I have ever looked at has them. When I redo my front, I'm going with Heims and I dont wheel 1/2 as hard as you do(Yet). I dont believe in re-inventing the wheel.

I think JJ's have a place but you are running 40's, with Huge Torque, and a heavy *** rig. Sorry...I think you are maxing them out.

For what you have and want, I would trust a Ruff-Stuff Heim over a JJ any day of week and twice on a weekend. Just my $.02.
Please explain to me why this guy has no problem with his jeep.

I built my rig because I saw his rig when I sold him my old jeep fenders. He is heavier then me. Cummins 4bt, 1 tons, 40's. O yea he built it back in 2008. He has wheeled Moab, CO, Rubicon, and other trails with out any issues.

There is a reason I didnt do Hiems to begin with and that is for road quality.
Heims and JJ on the road will react completely different. And seeing as I have 5k road miles on my rig, that is the reason I started out with JJ.
Unread 10-31-2013, 02:49 PM   #713
kellerumps
See Ya Coach.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Please explain to me why this guy has no problem with his jeep.

I built my rig because I saw his rig when I sold him my old jeep fenders. He is heavier then me. Cummins 4bt, 1 tons, 40's. O yea he built it back in 2008. He has wheeled Moab, CO, Rubicon, and other trails with out any issues.

There is a reason I didnt do Hiems to begin with and that is for road quality.
Heims and JJ on the road will react completely different. And seeing as I have 5k road miles on my rig, that is the reason I started out with JJ.
I totally understand the road quality aspect. I have no idea how hard this guy wheels his rig....I do have a pretty damn good idea on how hard you wheel yours.

Just gave you my $.02...its your rig....

Unread 10-31-2013, 02:50 PM   #714
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

He ^ probably hasn't flipped his rig yet. lol.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 02:57 PM   #715
ksilovich
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I totally understand the road quality aspect. I have no idea how hard this guy wheels his rig....I do have a pretty damn good idea on how hard you wheel yours.

Just gave you my $.02...its your rig....
He wheels decently hard on it. But I am just saying 5 years of wheeling is alot more then 10 days on my joints. That is the point I am trying to get across.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
He ^ probably hasn't flipped his rig yet. lol.
He has not. Just a side flop that I know of.

The front will have more force on the joints as in a suspension design. If you think about it simple terms. The front has to be forced up and over a rock, where as the rear kinda glides upwards. That is why I am leaning towards heims in the front and JJ in the Rear. Sacrifice a little here and there. Also All new Heims are just shy of 1k.
Unread 10-31-2013, 04:15 PM   #716
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Let me rephrase my question. What do you think happened inside the joint to cause the excessive play? Like excessive side loading that might have compressed the poly bushing?

"Evolution through carnage, the Jeep will keep what it needs."
Danno6102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 05:16 PM   #717
ksilovich
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102 View Post
Let me rephrase my question. What do you think happened inside the joint to cause the excessive play? Like excessive side loading that might have compressed the poly bushing?
Yup. I kninda think that. If I had issues with the rear id say its just normal wear and tear.
Unread 10-31-2013, 08:44 PM   #718
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Took your advice. There looking over some photos right now. Well see where this leads. If they do nothing about it. Heims it is.

On other news Superwinch is sending me my 3rd new winch.
1) motor was shot
2) Would spool out but not in plus it was a 9k not like my original 12.5
The 3rd one they didn't argue with me, there just sending it to me.

Checked things over from our Harlan, KY trip. It looks like high steer is in the near future. I bent the 1.5" 7075 tie rod. Right by the pumpkin, its bent in a good 1.5". Thinking of doing hi-steer with 1.75" AL this time.

I also have to do something about my power steering pump reservoir. The thing will leak oil on any incline, and I am constantly adding more out on the trail. I am thinking of welding a cap on the top with a port to pump up higher to a remote reservoir.

Then I put the drive cowl into a tree and dented that up with part of the hood. The boat side on the passenger side is dented in. And I fawked up the hinges, the passenger door barley closes now.

Other then that its pretty safe and sound.
Sounds like a pretty good wheelin trip

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/february-tj-month-contest-submit-now-2061065/
aw12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 08:51 PM   #719
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
He wheels decently hard on it. But I am just saying 5 years of wheeling is alot more then 10 days on my joints. That is the point I am trying to get across.

He has not. Just a side flop that I know of.

The front will have more force on the joints as in a suspension design. If you think about it simple terms. The front has to be forced up and over a rock, where as the rear kinda glides upwards. That is why I am leaning towards heims in the front and JJ in the Rear. Sacrifice a little here and there. Also All new Heims are just shy of 1k.
Rebuilt the JJ's and see what happens, I got mostly the same setup with 40"s and have wheeled the piss out of it for 3 years, thing still drives nice on the street and JJ's are still tight, front and back

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/february-tj-month-contest-submit-now-2061065/
aw12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 10:52 PM   #720
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Rebuild the JJ's man. Cheap, easy, and I bet you don't have to worry about it again....at least until you hardcore side-load them.

Anyone who's ever used them for a good stint of time knows that durability is a non-issue.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
14b , 40's , 4bt , aluminum , boat side , cnc , cummins , custom , d60 , diesel , indyorv , ori struts , plasma , tj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.