Jeffery 2.0 - some assembly required - Page 46 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Jeffery 2.0 - some assembly required

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 09-30-2013, 09:07 AM   #676
ksilovich
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jforse View Post
Damn. I really like the idea of not needing a sway bar, limit straps, and bump stops. Maybe just do coilovers then.
Yea. I think his problem is not running them on all 4 corners. His front is just the factory set up with 3" coils. The front and rear ride to differently. IMO you should run them all the way around if you do want to run them.

Unread 09-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #677
roes
1947 CJ2A 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksilovich View Post
Just cant race them.
Why not? Have you tried anything go fast?

As per one end being done, Todd said several times before we did his front end that the rig rode far better in the back. I think people have a hard time tuning because what they "think" is happening and what is "actually" happening are two very different things.
roes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 11:07 AM   #678
nardharv
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm guessing Kevin is referring to me. Granted I have not spent a bunch of time experimenting but the rear of my jeep is stable but rides horrible on the road. It feels okay off road. The ride quality can be made better with less lower chamber pressure but pushes off terrible. In order to get the stability you have to increase the lower pressures which makes for a harsh ride, especially for high frequency on road stuff. I have ~ 5" of shaft showing at ride height which is think is in the 2nd (stiffer) stage of the shocks. I think this can be helped with taking some oil out but I haven't messed with it. I emailed ORI for some advice and I got a very generic one line answer so I've written them off for help. It may be that there is a magic spot where you get a good ride and stability... I've not found it yet.

I'm hoping I can talk someone into brining their dual fill stuff for a little shock tuning at Harlan .
Unread 10-01-2013, 11:38 AM   #679
ksilovich
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roes View Post
Why not? Have you tried anything go fast?
Going fast and racing is two different things. I have done like 35~40 in the woops at the Badlands. But I seem to fad out as I get into them.
Doing trek yes I think I could get away with them. But Ultra 4 I would not race with ORI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nardharv View Post
I'm guessing Kevin is referring to me.
I'm hoping I can talk someone into brining their dual fill stuff for a little shock tuning at Harlan .
Yes I was
I dont have a dual fill. I have a single fill kit. And yet it is coming with me. With an extra valve in case you want to break another one off my jeep.
Unread 10-01-2013, 12:16 PM   #680
roes
1947 CJ2A 

Quote:
I have ~ 5" of shaft showing at ride height which is think is in the 2nd (stiffer) stage of the shocks. I think this can be helped with taking some oil out but I haven't messed with it.
Will, did you spec ride height when you ordered? Where did you have the dampening adjustment when you lowered the pressures? They also have an available piston upgrade you can do that doesn't come standard on the STX. I'm having that done to mine right now along with rebuild, tune and STX upgrade.

Quote:
Doing trek yes I think I could get away with them. But Ultra 4 I would not race with ORI.
So TREC isn't racing? Guess October is last ever TREC race...

By the sounds of it, maybe you'll do an Ultra4 race before E.T.
Unread 10-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #681
ksilovich
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So TREC isn't racing? Guess October is last ever TREC race...
By the sounds of it, maybe you'll do an Ultra4 race before E.T.
You know what I mean by all this. Im saying if I was to race a time or two I would be all good. But in IMO if I was to be racing full time I would not choose ORI. I would get a set of 2.5" CO some 2" bumps, and a sway bar.
You must love your ORI's more then I do. But no way I would do race after race with ORI.

The way I look at it CO and ORI's have there place. For my rig that is street driven, and on the trail ORI's made the most sense. I have a 50/50 weight split with tight packaging with that engine up front. I didnt have much room for a sway bar with the way my steering is set up and were I wanted my winch.

But if I was building my jeep again with the intentions of racing there is no way I would pick up a set of ORI's for that. Id do 2.5" CO, 2" bumps, and sway bar.

That is just my Opinion. To each there own.

Im ready to buy E.T. old/new chassis lol
Unread 10-01-2013, 04:04 PM   #682
roes
1947 CJ2A 

Quote:
You must love your ORI's more then I do. But no way I would do race after race with ORI.

But if I was building my jeep again with the intentions of racing there is no way I would pick up a set of ORI's for that. Id do 2.5" CO, 2" bumps, and sway bar.

Im ready to buy E.T. old/new chassis lol
I do, because my buggy is lightweight and I have no intention of racing Ultra4. If I built my rig to ONLY race it wouldn't even look the same. It's more of a hybrid.

I'll probably build a 4 seater in 2-3 yrs, whether it'll get c/o's and bumps will depend on the availability of getting them tuned. I've not been impressed with any rigs I've ridden in with c/o's that weren't tuned professionally.

Would you use the same motor if you were to build a pure race rig?

E.T. is gonna need some new tires cause those red labels are gonna be dry rotted by the time its done! bahahaha
Unread 10-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #683
ksilovich
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Would you use the same motor if you were to build a pure race rig?

E.T. is gonna need some new tires cause those red labels are gonna be dry rotted by the time its done! bahahaha
You know thats a no. It would be an LS based engine. But a newer diesels in a race rig would be pretty sweet.

Tell me about it. Well see if he finishes by Feb.
I have a feeling ill be down there quite a few weekends to help him out.
Unread 10-01-2013, 05:53 PM   #684
nardharv
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I dont have a dual fill. I have a single fill kit. And yet it is coming with me. With an extra valve in case you want to break another one off my jeep.
Do I need to get you some grief counseling over that schrader valve? I'm thinking you made out pretty well considering how much work got done on my jeep.

Maybe it was Roes I was thinking about. I'll bring my single and with yours we'll have a dual.

Quote:
Will, did you spec ride height when you ordered? Where did you have the dampening adjustment when you lowered the pressures? They also have an available piston upgrade you can do that doesn't come standard on the STX. I'm having that done to mine right now along with rebuild, tune and STX upgrade.
I didn't realize this was an option until after I purchased them. I have since read that you can buy them tailored to the shaft protrusion you want to run at ride height. If I can't get them tuned to my liking I may send them off this winter. What's the piston upgrade do for you?

Roes/Kev - Have either of you messed with oil levels?
Unread 10-01-2013, 06:08 PM   #685
ksilovich
1998 TJ Wrangler 

No I have not. They say if you have half shaft showning your good. I have 6 of the 14" showing. So I never messed with levels.
Unread 10-01-2013, 06:10 PM   #686
roes
1947 CJ2A 

Quote:
You know thats a no. It would be an LS based engine. But a newer diesels in a race rig would be pretty sweet.
I think the torque would be awesome in the whoops, but the weight would make everything heavier to support it and harder to tune the suspension to be as fast as something lighter.

Quote:
Maybe it was Roes I was thinking about. I'll bring my single and with yours we'll have a dual.

I didn't realize this was an option until after I purchased them. I have since read that you can buy them tailored to the shaft protrusion you want to run at ride height. If I can't get them tuned to my liking I may send them off this winter. What's the piston upgrade do for you?

Roes/Kev - Have either of you messed with oil levels?
The piston upgrade is supposed to make them perform better. Gonna pick their brain after they tear them down and inspect them.

I haven't messed with the oil because I think mine have been dying since the 1st TREC race. The rear more so than the front, but mine have aluminum pickup tubes inside rather than steel like the new ones so I'm quite sure there is some collapsing restricting the oil from flowing right.
Unread 10-02-2013, 07:25 AM   #687
ksilovich
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Selling two CO/ORI buckets. Turns out I didn't need them. They are fully welded and assembled. Here are the dimensions of them. Thinking $150 or make me an offer.

And here is a cool photo from the weekend.
Unread 10-07-2013, 05:13 PM   #688
ksilovich
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Picked up my new toy hauler.

Then went back down to indy to work on my jeep. Only took one photo so far. The rest will come in a few weeks when I finish all the little things up.

Frame plates.
Unread 10-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #689
jforse
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Picked up my new toy hauler.

Then went back down to indy to work on my jeep. Only took one photo so far. The rest will come in a few weeks when I finish all the little things up.

Frame plates.
What are you using for a tow rig?
Unread 10-07-2013, 05:33 PM   #690
ksilovich
1998 TJ Wrangler 

2004 2500HD Silverado 6.0L.

Trying to sell it to get a newer Cummins or Powerstroke.

Tags
14b , 40's , 4bt , aluminum , boat side , cnc , cummins , custom , d60 , diesel , indyorv , ori struts , plasma , tj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.