Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Jeffery 2.0 - some assembly required

202K views 1K replies 99 participants last post by  Tbunse 
#1 ·
Well I think it was finally time to start a build tread over here on JF.

I started with this pile of heep.
It was pretty much stripped down, had a bent frame. I bought it for the tub and title.

And my plans for this build are the following

Drive Train
-3.9 Cummins 4bt Turbo Diesel
*cut down 6bt exhaust manifold
*cut down 6bt intake plate w/ air horn
*he341 turbo​
-NV4500 trans
-Atlas II (3.0)
-1979 Ford HP D60 (ARB, Factory Ten Chromoly's, 4.56, Artec Trust, Ried Racing Knuckles)
-1985 14b (ARB, 4.56, shaved to 13b, Artec Trust)
-40" Goodyear MTR Old School (1st set)
-ORI Struts (14")

Armor
-TnT hi-line zeros
-Custom made boat sides
-Custom made phantom hi-line front fenders.

Interior
-Custom Roll cage w/ integrated dash
-Corbeau Baja Ultra SS seats
-Custom Tool box in the rear
-Fuel cell behind the seats.

Specs
-105-106" Wheelbase
-5" rear stretch
-7"ish front stretch
-22" at skid plate
-5.5" up travel
-8.5" down travel
-Not sure the total amount of lift over stock, but should be around 4-5"

I have collected most of the parts for the build, and over my college winter break I got started on the build

Links to my Trips

3-16-2013 - Shake Down Run @ Bandlands - Attica, IN

4-20-2013 - Day at the Bandlands - Attica, IN

5-18-2013 - Week of Wheeling in Moab
- Dome Plateau
- Top of The World
- Fins-N-Things
- Poison Spider
- Golden Spike
- Gold Bar Rim
- Hell's Revenge
- Escalator
- Baby Lion Back
- Cliff Hanger
- Moab Rim
- Kane Creek Canyon
- Strike Ravine
- Potato Salad Hill
- Helldorado

9-14-2013 - Day at the Bandlands - Attica, IN

10-24-2013 - Weekend in Harlan, Ky @ Black Mountain Off Road

12-7-2013 - Toys for Tots @ Bandlands - Attica, IN

3-29-2014 - IndyORV Open Run @ Badlands - Attica, IN

8-8-2014 - Week of Wheeling in Colorado
- 21Rd
- Die Tryin'
- Black Bear
- Imogene Pass
- Yankee Boy Basin
- Governors Basin
- Red Mountain
- Phorpyry Gulch
- Alta Lakes, Ohpir Pass
- Alpine Loop
*Mineral Creek
*Poughkeepsie Gulch
*Cinnamon Pass
*Engineer Pass
- Carnage Canyon
- Holy Cross

9-27-2014 - IndyORV Members Only Run @ Mission Impossible - Attica, IN

8-10-2015 - Week of Wheeling, Rubicon Trail

Build starts here
For the 14b I went and got UCF 13b shaved cover.
I put the cover on, marked the cut and went at it

Cleaned it up with a flapper wheel, and bolted the stock cover on, so I could see the clearance gained. (1.25")

I knew I was going to need to do a 1" body lift, so instead of doing pucks, I went with Gen Rights body mount lift.

Old

New

Then my friend cut off the back half

I went with the atx back half kit the second go around. I first tried it will using 2x3 tubing coming off the frame, but I was not happy with the angles I got.

I plan on doing something different in the rear, out side of the tub. But for now it looks like this.

Then on the front half of the frame I made some cuts and got rid of the drop down section.
I left the tubes 9" long cause I might have to stretch it a few inch from factory so I can fit a winch up from.
*BEFORE

*AFTER

When I did this I made an L cut, cause I was stepping down from 2.5" to 2", and it worked great.

Well I got to work on pulling the engine.
I chopped up the grill a little, there was no way I was going to pull it out the side door like they say to do.

God was it greasy

Half a gallon of de-greaser and a power washer, cleaned it up pretty good.

See less See more
#2 ·
When to work on the drive train.
While waiting on the Atlas to be build I got my hands on a SFR mock up atlas, and assembled it.

First off, I took a 6bt manifold and chopped off both ends.

Then I used part of what I chopped off to make some end caps, And right now I just tacked them into place.
In the next day or two I have to go out back and get my old oven I used for powder coating, so I can preheat it, and fully weld it.

Well I spent most of today trying to remove the old rusty bolts for the exhaust manifold. With Lots of heat and pb blaster, I was able to get 6 of the 8 out, but I broke 2 of them off in the head. So I spent some time drilling and re-tapping the holes.
Then I got the new intake plate and horn mounted.

Took off the front plate to see what style of "KDP" I had. and of course its not the easy one that you can use some bar stock to retain it.
Going to have to get a little creative.

"KDP" is on the left hand side of the bolt.

I got the "KDP" fixxed, welded the ends of the manifold, got the turbo clocked and took care of the waste gate.
Then I cleaned it all up and hit it with some high temp black spray paint.
*Note to self about spray paint: do not drop a can of spray paint, it will hit the ground and take off like a rocket. It painted the floor, my boots, pants, and everything on the floor black

Finally got the engine in side the frame rails today.
Busted out the plasma, and went to work.

Got the engine mounts down, and threw the hood and grill on to check the clearance's
I have 7/8" from the hood to the intake horn. I had to drop it down about 1.5" from originally where I had it.
I threw the axles and tire under it to check everything out, and I set the frame and tub to ride height.
All I have is crappy cell pictures, will get some better ones later on.

Then I built the skid plate. I originally wanted a flat skid, but seeing as I had to drop the engine down cause of hood clearance. I ended up with a 1.5" tall skid plate. So its almost flat. At the belly right now I have 22".

And here is a photo of how far the oil pan hangs down. It is similar to the stock 4.0 height.

I finished up the skid plate. I added an angle piece up front, and the transmission mount.

So I started on getting the york mounted. With the turbo where it is at, and with the engine being close to the hood, I had to get a little creative.
So far this is what I came up with.

Finished up the york mount.
I had to get rid of the automatic tension-er and I am using the idler pulley on top to tension the belt. There is an 1" of up travel for that pulley.

I got the corners installed.

#3 ·
I got the intercooler in the mail, so I went ahead and got it mounted.
I also went to pick-n-pull and got myself a ford taurus fan.

With the radiator, and fan it will be a tight fit by the york, but it should all fit.

Got my hands on a 1989 Astro van steering box, and rebuilt it and tapped it for hydro assist.
If you are looking to rebuild a saginaw box, this is a great write up http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=570869

Then I started on the boat sides. I started low and kept taking off more till I got the look I liked.
After four different angles and distance I finally got a bend I liked. The rockers will have a 50* angle to them.

I started to skin the drivers side.

Driver side is all finished up. Passenger is all welded, but I just have to make the bottom insert piece.

I remind you this is what I spend the last 4 weeks working on, and now I have to go back to school, so this build will slow down greatly. I will only be able to work on it on the weekends now.

2-19-12
Finally got to work on the jeep this weekend. I got the atlas all assembled and mated it to the trans. (what a ***** that was)

Then i cut the tub up a little more to redo the tunnel. I took my time, and made it out of poster board to make sure it came out like I wanted it to.
I am please on how it turned out.

Also here are some rendering of the cage and center console I made in bendtec and solidworks.

3-3-12
Stripped down the front axle. Installed the REID knuckles, and assembled the truss and tacked it into place. Also check out that awesome tie rod :lol:

Then I welded the tubes of the 14b to the housing.

#4 ·
Then I assembled and got the rear truss tack together.

Then I put the rear corner back on and trimmed where the boatsides are.

3-16-12
Back under the jeep the last couple days. Ill let the pictures show the work.

Trying to keep things low, means the upper ares are coming up into the tub.

3-17-12
Worked on the front today. Didnt get as far as I would have liked to, but Ill take what I can get.

Made some beefy CA brackets (passenger side)

(driver side)

Mock up arms

Next up is the track bar and steering box. Some time I wish I went with full hydro to make my life simpler.

4-22-12

Now its time for the jeep!!!
Ill let the photos talk.

The it was time for some ORI sexyness.
Busted out the tube bender that I have had for the last year and haven't used.

First set of tabs (did not like them)

So spent my time with the press break and made these.

#5 ·
Front on its own weight, such a great feeling!!!

Sittin low

4-29-12
Welded up the front axle.

Finished the bottom mount for the radiator.

Slant of the grill

Finished up the cross bar for the front hoops.

Its going to be tight for the rad hose

Then I got the hydro-boost mounted up. It feels nice to have one working pedal :)

5-14-12
Got the front links on.

Then I got one of the beadlocks mounted and on the jeep.

6-3-12
Finally got some free time. And I was able to get the rear links installed and bent some tube up for the rear ORI's.

7-1-12

#6 ·
Set the winch in the frame rails, and cut off 5" of the extra frame extension I had. It leaves me almost a zero degree approach angle.

7-29-12
Finished my spare tire carrier up.

Got it as close as I could to the tub.

Then the winch plate was welded in and I made some upper plates to finish it off.

Then my GF wanted some time behind the torch, so I let her.

Chopped down the rear frame, moved the x member under the tub, and mounted the rear suck down winch.

8-5-12

Completed the grill mounts, hi lined the hoop and did the front radiator hoop.

Then I moved on to the steering column, I wasnt needing any of the factory crap on there, so I removed it.
Before:

After:

I made a new spacer and I am going to tig it in place, but I ran out of argon today :thumbdown:

So then on to the dash:
Took part of the side from the step van. Cut it to the length I need and scored the back of it.

Then I went to town. Jumping on it. pulling it down. And using everything I had.

4 Hrs later I get this:

#7 ·
Week of 8/20/12

new steering wheel with a grant quick release. Check!!

Stole an idea from a friend, and made a gauge pod for the 3 extra gauges. It will be tied into the cross bar.

I welded up the center console and clean it all up.

Then I got my exhaust parts in. I got the flow master you fit kit. After about 5~6hrs. I took (6) 45* bends and (2) 50* bends, and made this....

8-23-12

Then I also made a shifter, just have to buy a knob.

I cut down the intake manifold to clear the brake booster.

Then I cut down the battery tray 2". Had to clear the turbo, and I am going to try to run the air filter on top of it.

#8 ·
So i spent the last two days finishing up the dash.
I cut out all the holes for the switches and gauges. In addition I made a access door for all my fuses and relays.

I used all SS counter suck hardware, and put the hinges inside the dash. That way you are less likely to cut your leg up on it.

Then when I did this. My girlfriend did some little stuff. Like making a battery tie down, rear body mount, and some other little things.

9-3-12

So i had to raise the whole radiator up and it was a *****. Once I finished that I made all the power steering hoses.

Took me awhile to figure out where the second heater hose connects to. Come to find out if you remove one of the temp switch on the side there is a 1/2 npt fitting. So i got my self a 1/2npt to 5/8 barb and it work great.

Upper heater hose

Found me a lower radiator hose.

Then I bent up a tube for my front suck down winch. Just waiting for it to come in the mail

9/7/12
Hood pins - check

9/8/12
Working on the inter cooler tubing today. And I made my self a use full tool. And the best part is that it only costed $10 bucks :D
Load in Vice

Insert tube

Intercooler tubing coming along.

Had to flip the intercooler to fit the tubing better. Now just to remount it and then bead all the ends of the tube.

Got my cutting brake and Brake Proportioning Valve mounted

Made the brakets and mounted the head lights

Then I finished up the hood pins

After that I worked on the front suck down winch.

#9 ·
Finished the front suckdown winch.

9-16-12
A sneak preview of the rock lights. Only 9 of the 18 under there.

9-21-12
Got my drive shafts. I little disappointed in the packaging of them. They are scratched to **** on the other side.

Got the rear installed.

Then for next weekend I made this tool for a friend to use while I give him the job to remove my king pins. That should be fun!! :D

(thats a 1/2" allen key next to it)

Lots of F-in heat and a big allen key and waa bam you remove your king pin. :D

As you can see this one is still smoking!!!

So I spent hours prep-ing the front axle for paint and powder coat today. I spend 2 hrs sand blasting it. Then I de greased it. Then I metal etched it. Then I por-15 it. Now just to wait for that to dry over night. Then I can use some etch primer and put a top coat on it.

Then for the diff cover I busted out my $20 stove I picked up some time ago and powder coated it silver vein. It didn't turn out as vein-y as I would have liked it to. But its going to get beat to **** so who cares.

9-24-12
I started to clean up the brake's and hubs.
After sandblasting and de greased.

Soaking in a metal etcher.

Then after por 15 - primer and top coat.

Then I set out to work on the rear. I finished up a few last min welding items and took the hubs off so next weekend I install the locker, and gears. And clean and paint it.

Powder coated the battery tied down and finally got the color in which I wanted the diff to be. Using new color of powder takes a learning curve with the cure time.

Lastly a little side not. Make sure to always where gloves, even if its a little task. I went to wire brush part of my spindle. Less then 5mins of work, and it slipped and got my hand :(

10-1-12
Couple friends came up to lend me a hand this weekend. We got my rear axle geared and arb installed and then we started to bend up some tube. it is no were close to done.

10-8-12
Worked my A** off this weekend, and the axles are almost done.
Here is what I did.

FRONT:
-All new Kingpin hardware (upper and lower)
-All new wheel bearings and races
-New Spindle bearings
-New stage 8 locking spindle nuts (these things are worth the money imo)
-Painted the hubs
-Drilled the wheel stud hole in the hubs to 39/64, thus allowing me to install some 9/16 wheel studs to match the rear.
-New Rotors
-Installed the new u joints and 35 spline chromoly shafts.
-Filled her up with some new oil.

REAR:
-Cleaned and prep for Por 15, then I por -15 it and then top coated the entire axle
-Powder coated the rear diff cover and brake brackets
-New wheel bearings and races
-New grade 8 hardware
-New Rotors and wheel studs

#10 ·
10-14-12

Speaker Boxes

Cage

11-18-12

Left enough room so I can make a bottle holder between the tool box and fuel cell. My plan is to have two radiator bottles, two gear oil, one 5 qt bottle of oil, and then some power steering and brake fluid. Only plan on carrying those items on long wheeling trips like Moab and Rubicon.

Sub Box

Seat mounts

Driver side seat mount

Passenger side

12-2-12
Tear Down

All sanded:

First Coat:

Cleaned up the firewall and painted it:

Painted the exhaust and wrapped the downpipe:

Painted the intercooler tubing:

Started welding the frame. Lots of welding to be done, but I ran out of gas last night. Ill have to get some more this week.

12-16-12
Well today marks the 1 year anniversary of this build I was hoping to have it done in 1 year, but work and school got the best of me. I should have it done in the next month tho :)

The last few days I have been finishing the last of the fab work on the frame and burning it all in. I had to box in the motor mounts, add plate on the lower from link mounts, then I also tied the rear cross member in with the side. I also did alot of small gussets here and there.

Then I also worked on the Engine, trans, and atlas
The engine I;
- installed an almost new centerforce clutch.
- installed a resurface flywheel
- put a new layer of paint on
- trimmed back the york mount for the oil fill
- installed a new starter
- installed a new alternator
- installed all the gauge sensors (egt, boost, water temp, oil pressure)
- gusseted the motor mounts

Then in the Atlas I finished up the parking brake mount, and filled it up with oil.

#11 ·
12-18-12

Paint
Before:

After:

12-20-12
Assembly

Full bump and full droop the exhaust barley clears.

Today was a long day of just torquing down all the bolts I put in yesterday. Then I also added a flex tube in the exhaust and then started on the wiring harnesses. I really hate wiring!!!

12-23-12
Then it was time for the tub to go on.

After that I prepped and bed lined the inside. I have to touch up some spots but I will do that in the morning.

Cage and body parts on

12-30-12
I had more room left in that box then I thought, so I decided to add the flasher and the brake relay in there. Now I have a self contain brake/turn module.

Wired the controller for the rear suck down winch. This is just two 50A relays.

It allows me to get rid of that ugly @ss yellow remote, and use a nice custom switch on my dash.

#24 ·
Some photos of the goodies that are going into this thing.

ORI Struts w/remote reservoir for the fronts

Corbeau Seats

Everything for the axles

Engine stuff and Swag press brake

Artec Cell mount and link brakets

And for the time being who needs a closet :laugh:

#25 ·
Interesting build, I am tuned in. I would love to have a 4BT but they is spensive!

#26 ·
I was wondering if you were going to post this up over here. Too bad school is going to slow it down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.