Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Project Procrastination, a TJuggy Build 42" pitbulls, stretched, on tons

137K views 642 replies 79 participants last post by  JeepRocks86 
#1 · (Edited)
EDIT:

The TJ has been stretched for about a year. It work wonderfully.
On 4/14/11 I picked up a set of Dana 60s. King Pin SnowFigher front from a 79 250. Rear is also out of a 79. Post 107 Starts the 60s build.

I am currently stretching the wheelbase of my TJ.

My TJ has progressed a lot over the years since I purchased it.
From Stock Daily Driver to modified daily driver to more modified daily driver to even more modified Trail Rig. I want to keep the jeep streetable, but have one that performs on the trail as well.

The day I bought it. Strait panels and no scratches.

First dirt.

First Stuck

4" Skyjacker and 33 Baja Claws

36s stock gears and axles

4.88s, Chromo front shafts, lockers

I have more older photos that I will post at a later date.
Custom belly up skid
RCI 15 Gallon Fuel cell with KORE ring
MORE front bumper to be straitened out and sold
Rear modified bumper from ebay that I bought a number of years ago
Currently the jeep has 35s for the street and 36s for the trail
Dana 30 front, Yukon Chromo shafts, Lockright, 4.88s
dana 44 rear, Alloy USA shafts, Detroit, 4.88s
4.5 RE springs
Shocks TBD
Clayton Long arm front
Custom rear Stretch in progress ~hopefully 5-7" with out a comp cut. (ballistic joints)
PSC steering box sitting on the garage floor

Future Plans (no particular order)...
Dana 60s
40s or 42s
re do the cage
new front bumper
sink the fuel tank into the floor with a custom box overhead for protection
different suspension mounts
3 link front
etc...

Recent favorite trail photos. Harlan March 2009. I bought a House in late 2008 so my Jeep trips have been drastically reduced.

Harlan Lions Den

Looking down into Lions den

Can opener trail

Current build:
Rear frame modification.
New rear control arms
new crossmember above the axle
cut the fenders
Hopefully I will get about 7" of stretch at most.

photobucket album for the stretch
Silver TJ Stretch pictures by JeepRocks86 - Photobucket

planned cut

How the bumper was

Cut corners (I will probably cut more out of the rear)

Rear crossmember (Factory vs my plan)

Frame clean up

The reason for the new crossmember

See less See more
#2 ·
Initial Frame cut for the coil mounts.

Coil mount welds

Coil mount mock up

Frame welded up

3/16" reinforcement plate that goes on the inside of the frame on both sides.

one of the frame plates welded in

as it sits right now.

I haven't touched the jeep in two or three weeks. My new body mounts did come in this past week. I am planning on removing the 1" bodylift. It has been cold and I have been swamped with school work. After this semester I will have 2 400 level classes and one 500 level Engineering course for my Bachelors. My plan is to continue to get my MEng (masters of engineering) and possibly an MBA since UL has a joint program with the MEng/MBA.

#9 ·
insert stuff here .... i think the welds look melted in good..when it gets some mud and dirt on it youll never see it from my house:thumbsup:..even tho i am a profesional welder fab machinist/laborer:rofl::teehee: get r done

#18 ·
Thanks everyone. I hope to get back in the garage this week. I was going to work yesterday, but my girlfriend's Jetta decided it wanted to overheat so I got to work on that, and I need to finish it tomorrow evening after classes.

Out of curiosity, why would you envy me?

#19 ·
went to the Carl Casper auto show this weekend... Saw this and laughed... A LOT.

I almost went up to the guy and asked him WTF was he thinking but I didn't.

Passenger side drop 60 front, and I forget the rear axle, may have been 60 70 or 14 bolt.
49" IROKS.
It is my new inspiration for my jeep.

#24 ·
They say, A picture is worth a thousand words. This one is only worth the 3 letters, you have already laid down, WTF.

On another note, it seems that there is always someone breaking balls about how someones welds look. Mine by no means look that great, but I know when there is proper penetration and when there is not. I also know that welding underneath like that is tricky. I think your stuff will be fine. A ton of people build the crap out of their jeep using all of the factory brackets. Sometimes they fail, mostly by bending, sometimes by ripping off. But start cutting those off and check out the factory welds, thats scary.
Good work...........

#21 ·
Dear VDub,
Your water pump sucks on my girlfriends 1.8T Jetta. Why did you need to put a plastic impeller on the water pump that comes apart at 65000 miles. I spent a lot of hours trying other things and my ideas didn't fix it.

Thanks,
Tyler

That being said, I have no other immediate project vehicles, so I plan on spending a few hours out in the garage tonight.

#22 ·
After not touching the jeep for almost 3 weeks, I worked on it a bit this evening.

I did some grinding and welding on the rear.

I also did some planning on my rear crossmember. I don't think my original though for my crossmember will work.

I think I will put a large tab off of the frame with a gusset or two on each side. Those tabs will be tied into the crossmember which will have 2 gussets on each side as well. I am taking the body lift off so there isn't quite as much room under there to make everything fit like originally planned.

Also, the BL came out and I'm going to replace the rubber pieces with poly ones as well as soak the metal inserts/cups to remove the rust and then sand them down for a little bit of paint.

#27 ·
I haven't touched the jeep in a while. I had good momentum going and then Things started happening that didn't allow me to work on the jeep.

I will get this stage finished, it will just take a lot longer than I figured.

#29 ·
I cut the tube for the crossmember. It will need a little more grinding and the loose paint removed before I weld it into place.

I also stripped most of the rust off of the metal body mount pieces, by soaking them in some rust remover. I'm going to paint them before I put them back under the jeep.

#30 · (Edited)
I picked up shorter bolts for my body lift removal. I hope this weekend to get a whole lot knocked out.

I just found these photos taken about this time last year at Harlan, KY.

Just before sunset.

#32 ·
Rear crossmember is burned in.
I also did the final burn on my coil mounts. I'm pretty happy with the coil mounts, except for one weld where I really couldn't get the welder close enough for a better weld, but i'm not worried about the overall strength.

I'm going to have to change how the body mount is located since there isn't enough room to have it where I was going to put it.

I will get some more photos later today

#33 ·
Well My crossmember didn't turn out as I had planned because of space constraints. My fuel cell is about 9.5" across and I want to be able to put that between the frame rails eventually sunk into the floor.

After I put the fuel cell in, I will probably add some gussets to the square box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.