Jeepl!fe LJ Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Jeepl!fe LJ Build

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 11-03-2011, 03:03 PM   #1
jeepl!fe
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Jeepl!fe LJ Build

hey guys, well its time to start the build thread that i have been wanting to start ever since i joined the forum looking for a Jeep.

First off im a 17 year old high school guy just trying to learn about cars and jeeps so forgive me if i mess some terms up and stuff, anyways...

I just recently picked up a 2006 LJ 6-speed with 74k miles with some mods already on her. mod list is:

rough country 6" lift

35" bfg all terrain

15" black steelies

smittybilt rear bumper with tire carrier

Smittybilt SRC front bumper

banks CAI

so it has a decent amount of mods but i will be changing out and selling all of those parts accept for the rear bumper and tire carrier probably.

well here is my plan...I originally fell in love with LJ's when i saw Lo2ay's LJ so i wanted to build similar to his. i dont have quite the budget but it will have the same over all idea.

Highline fenders (not aev, DIY mod)

dark grey paint (still undecided exact paint)

17" mickey thompson classic lock powder coated black and ring will be color of jeep

35 or 37" goodyear mtr (still trying to decide on the tricky setup to run 37s so might stick with 35s unforunetly for now...)

Banks cat back exhaust

3" aev springs

bilstien 5100s (Still not for sure)

and then axles are still up in the air...i want to do jk d44 axles but im not quite sure if i can afford, its tight to fit that in my budget and i have a feeling i would go over budget with those axles. so i might just do a tj d44 front for now.

so thats the plan. i wont start on the big stuff for a couple weeks til my Dad gets home. the highline will probably be the first major mod and then everything should come quickly after that.

ENJOY!

jeepl!fe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2011, 03:05 PM   #2
jeepl!fe
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Day i bought the jeep

sister riding in the back with the doors off for the first time!

image-775419262.jpg

image-3496025876.jpg

and brown santa came today!!!!!

image-3640111034.jpg

Instagram: @dillonmakar
Unread 11-03-2011, 03:19 PM   #3
jeepl!fe
2006 LJ Wrangler 

well did my first "official mod" today, just painted my antenna black...

image-3377746720.jpg

later today i will be installing new turn signals and grab handles, much needed with the freakin huge lift on it right now....

Unread 11-03-2011, 05:49 PM   #4
jeepl!fe
2006 LJ Wrangler 

well i installed my grab handles, it was a long hard 2 minute install

image-731453184.jpg

then i went to install my turn signals and side markers. side markers went smoothly but the turn signals didnt. i got sent the wrong bulb so ill have to wait to reveive the correct one. just going to use the white factory bulb for now

here in the pic you see the orange one has no clip on it to plug in

image-2295621876.jpg

here is what the new white turn signals look like

image-2418292732.jpg

exhaust came in as well. hopefully should be able to install it this weekend or early next week at the latest

Unread 11-03-2011, 06:37 PM   #5
jkl
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepl!fe View Post
and then axles are still up in the air...i want to do jk d44 axles but im not quite sure if i can afford, its tight to fit that in my budget and i have a feeling i would go over budget with those axles. so i might just do a tj d44 front for now.

If you are considering swapping axles, I would not waste money on a TJ 44

'13 10th Anniversary Unlimited Rubi
'05 LJ on 35s
1 Ton XJ on 40s...went up in flames :(
1 Ton Scrambler Build Thread:"Project Taildragger"
...now parting out
jkl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2011, 06:44 PM   #6
jeepl!fe
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkl View Post
If you are considering swapping axles, I would not waste money on a TJ 44
really? even if i just run 35's? what would you suggest to run for 37s? this is my DD so i dont want crazy heavy axles.
Unread 11-06-2011, 11:08 PM   #7
jeepl!fe
2006 LJ Wrangler 

ok so no real updates on the jeep this weekend. but tomorrow i should be putting in a stock pitman arm, exhaust, and painting my chrome headlight bezels black. its gunna be a fun day

Unread 11-07-2011, 06:54 PM   #8
jeepl!fe
2006 LJ Wrangler 

just starting on the exhaust, will post some installing and installed pics later!

Unread 11-07-2011, 07:07 PM   #9
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I would just keep what you have. Build the rear to be good on 35s, and swap a HP30 in the front or a TJ D44. Axle swaps are not worth the money if you do not wheel every weekend. Just my 2c.... Coming from a guy who has been Building for a Solid year and a half for 37s on a DD. Just follow my bro Imped. He has a solid TJ on 35s.

You have a great platform to start with.
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2011, 09:41 PM   #10
jeepl!fe
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
I would just keep what you have. Build the rear to be good on 35s, and swap a HP30 in the front or a TJ D44. Axle swaps are not worth the money if you do not wheel every weekend. Just my 2c.... Coming from a guy who has been Building for a Solid year and a half for 37s on a DD. Just follow my bro Imped. He has a solid TJ on 35s.

You have a great platform to start with.
thanks man. ya im thinking of going the tj d44 route right now and stick to 35s for now. no real need for 37s, they look better but i dont want to spend the money repairing the axles over and over again. the platform was very nice, although most of it will be sold but that brings in more money for me to do other stuff so i cant complain.

Unread 11-07-2011, 09:51 PM   #11
jeepl!fe
2006 LJ Wrangler 

so i started to install my exhaust tonight. it went pretty smooth until i had a stripped bolt where the catalyc converter bolts up to the muffler. had to cut it off but it wasnt to bad. after that the whole exhaust came out easily. i fitted up my new one and found that the exhaust rubbed against the rear track bar so i fixed that by putting a dent into the pipe, much better now. I decided that im going to paint the pipes before bolting it in, so i got it prepped tonight and will paint it tomorrow.

here are some pics.

new muffler is way smaller that stock!

image-1387691947.jpg

little indention i put in the pipe to make it stop rubbing.

image-3037316399.jpg

Unread 11-07-2011, 09:58 PM   #12
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That exhaust pipe will probably still rub, especially taking turns and laying on the throttle. My exhaust was installed with room to spare between my right rear shock but the rubber piece on the rear mount gives the exhaust enough play to rattle into the side of the shock. Chips the paint off. I may have to get it rerouted even farther away, which puts it even closer to the fuel tank. not good.

Also, that front bumper would be a Smittybilt SRC bumper, as its the one I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2011, 10:07 PM   #13
jeepl!fe
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573 View Post
That exhaust pipe will probably still rub, especially taking turns and laying on the throttle. My exhaust was installed with room to spare between my right rear shock but the rubber piece on the rear mount gives the exhaust enough play to rattle into the side of the shock. Chips the paint off. I may have to get it rerouted even farther away, which puts it even closer to the fuel tank. not good.

Also, that front bumper would be a Smittybilt SRC bumper, as its the one I have.

i have a decent amount of space from the shock, farther than it was stock and stock it didnt rub to bad so i will see how it goes, not really a big deal to me.

and thanks for the heads up on the front bumper, kinda thought it was smittybilt, just have been to lazy to actually look it up.

i see your in NC as well. edit: and a highschooler as well, even better, same here haha

Unread 11-07-2011, 10:46 PM   #14
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepl!fe View Post
i have a decent amount of space from the shock, farther than it was stock and stock it didnt rub to bad so i will see how it goes, not really a big deal to me.

and thanks for the heads up on the front bumper, kinda thought it was smittybilt, just have been to lazy to actually look it up.

i see your in NC as well. edit: and a highschooler as well, even better, same here haha
Yep. And I head up to Harmony NC, next door to Statesville, every two weeks. Probably going to the demolition derby and figure 8 race in Harmony this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2011, 07:01 AM   #15
jeepl!fe
2006 LJ Wrangler 

ahhh nice bro, ill keep an eye out for you

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.