Jeepin72's Build Thread - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Jeepin72's Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 03-25-2012, 08:30 PM   #106
connor0770
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Great build. how much room do you still have between the gas tank and your diff cover? I want to get that tank, but want to stuff a 14 bolt in the rear (which is bigger than a 44). Also im contemplating the clayton skid. Have you hit it hard yet? You said it fit your atlas fine right? Your doing the same stuff i have planned. (only i think coilovers are gonna get thrown in the rear if i have to notch the frame.)

97 TJ Dana 30 w/ARB Solid Cover, Currie 4" lift, Ford 8.8 w/ Riddler Cover, Currie Steering, Trail Gear Front Bumper, LOD Rear Tire Carrier, Smittybuilt XRC8, 35" KM2's, 5100 Bilsteins, Teraflex Oil Pan Skid, Poison Spider Sliders, Rock Lights etc.
connor0770 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #107
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by connor0770 View Post
Great build. how much room do you still have between the gas tank and your diff cover? I want to get that tank, but want to stuff a 14 bolt in the rear (which is bigger than a 44). Also im contemplating the clayton skid. Have you hit it hard yet? You said it fit your atlas fine right? Your doing the same stuff i have planned. (only i think coilovers are gonna get thrown in the rear if i have to notch the frame.)
I have about two inches right now (I think). I can actually measure it when I get home. I plan on stuffing a dana 60 in there at some point. If you check out Hoovail's build thread, sleepbuiltstocker, he has a dana 60 and the same tank I have.

The Clayton skid is a monster. I have hit it pretty hard and it only scratched the paint. It does work with the Atlas. I had to dimple the tub a bit and grind part of the transmission foot to make it work. If I had it to do over I would consider ordering a 0 degree clocking for the Atlas. I think it would fit better than mine.

Coil overs would be nice. I really like the GenRight coil over towers.
Unread 03-27-2012, 11:16 AM   #108
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookylynx View Post
^^

abso-fricin-lootly the bigger time crunch will be how long he can stay in the garage before the garage owners girlfriend starts hating on us.
Aint that the truth...Hoovail said they still aren't done last night ...and leaving for Moab in a week.
Unread 03-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #109
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollieg843 View Post
Those fabbed bits look amazing! I've been toying around with the idea of fabbing a few things here and there for the XJ, just haven't trusted my welds enough!
I'm there with you. I have a welder, just no knowledge on how to use it
Unread 03-31-2012, 06:57 AM   #110
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

T&T Customs - Oversize Corners

I got the T&T Customs corners with a 3" flare and the oversize opening. These things are super beefy. They come with hardware. I had to purchase some hardware for the fuel filler bezel and one of the tail lights. My CB antenna mount sits behind the tail light so the OEM bolts were no longer long enough on that side.

I started by priming the inside of the corners. Then I mounted them and drilled all the necessay holes in the tub.

Then I took them back off. I hit the tub with about four coats (one can on each side) of clear coat. When I was up a T&T's shop they told me / showed me that they are using Rock-it color match bed liner to prep the tub and prevent rust. It looked really good the way they are doing it. I didn't have the cash or sprayer for it

The fuel bezel has to change to the YJ style to make room for the oversize wheel well.

I painted the corners with Rustoleum semi-gloss black. I didn't want to worry about rock rash or whatever if spent the money on a professional paint job. This way I can touch them up whenever.

T&T recommended using silicone as a layer between the corner and the tub. They recommended letting it "set up" before mounting the corner. True to form my first corner did not turn out as well as my second. I think I let it set too long. My holes did't line up since there was now silicone on the corner causing the misalignment

I had to cut and peel some of the silicone off. The corner still went on.

The next corner I didn't let it set as long and it went on super easy and clean. The T&T corner require removing the tailgate. Their corner goes under the tailgate instead of having cut outs for it. They provide steel spacers to go under the hinges on the actual tailgate as well so it closes nicely.

The finished product.

I still have to sort out the fuel bezel. I have one, but my filler hose doesn't want to cooperate.

Up Next - the sliders already have primer on them. Hopefully I knock that out this weekend. I have a GenRight license plate relocation bracket with some LED lights sitting in the garage as well.
Unread 03-31-2012, 12:51 PM   #111
hoovail
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Looking good! You didn't get any well deserved help?

Real Jeeps are built, not "bolt-on"!
hoovail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2012, 01:01 PM   #112
tdij
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Just passed you in Frisco... looking good. The rock sliders should complete it nicely.

I have my fuel filler on my yj that isn't being used. When I make my tank I will be getting a truck fuel filler so that I can fit a diesel nozzle in it. If you want mine it is all yours.
Unread 04-01-2012, 08:12 PM   #113
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdij View Post
Just passed you in Frisco... looking good. The rock sliders should complete it nicely.

I have my fuel filler on my yj that isn't being used. When I make my tank I will be getting a truck fuel filler so that I can fit a diesel nozzle in it. If you want mine it is all yours.
Yes!!!
Unread 04-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #114
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovail View Post
Looking good! You didn't get any well deserved help?
No, you guys had your hands full. I did what I could when I could. It really wasn't that hard alone. Just needed three C-Clamps. Once the holes were done it was cake. After final paint I just slid in two bolts to hold them and off I went.
Unread 04-01-2012, 08:20 PM   #115
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

T&T Customs Sliders.

The sliders were super easy after doing the corners. Just line them up with the corner, puch the holes, paint, and bolt on.

T&T Customs provides a plate that goes inside the tube and acts as a strong surfuce to pull the slider under the tub up close. The bolt holes on this piece were not even close to lining up with the pre-cut holes on the slider.

No worries. Drilled through it.

Unread 04-08-2012, 07:47 AM   #116
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Off Road Only - LitePLATE Install

I got the ORO LitePLATE from GenRight. I didn't want to drill through the corners just to hang a license plate. This moves the plate up onto the tire carrier in the center of the tire. It has the capability of being a third brake light and a license plate lamp (required in Colorado).

I invited an electrician / jeeper buddy of mine over to help me sort out the wires and drink some cold ones. Sorting out the wires wasn't that hard, but I knew with his fancy electrician tools I wouldn't cutting the wrong wires.

I ran the wires through the passenger side brake light and spliced in under the tub.

On the 2005 TJ:
Purple/Black = reverse
Black/Yellow = parking lights
Brown/Red = Right Brake/turn combo

White = Third brake light
Black = Ground

So I ran their green to my Black/Yellow. Red to white and black to black. Everything worked.

Unread 04-08-2012, 08:04 AM   #117
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

T&T Customs - YJ Style Bezel on a TJ

The T&T Customs oversize corners come with a pre-cut YJ style fuel bezel opening. They also supply the bezel if desired. They really don't provide you any information on how to make it work though.

The TJ filler neck DOES NOT fit in the location they cut the YJ bezel opening. The hardline of the breather tube hits the tub under the rear of the sport cage and will not allow the neck to sit flush to the bezel. The filler tube is too short and will not reach. The neck also has some bends in it that are too gradual and cause the filler hose to kink.

Sorting out the parts needed to modify this was also a PITA. The Jeep filler hose is aparently an odd ball size. It it 1.25" ID at the tank and 1" ID at the neck. NAPA and even Summit racing all sell 2" or 2.5" filler hose. I couldn't find anything in the automotive world that was the Jeep size. T&T said they used "sink drain hose"

So that's what I did ... for now. I got some 1" sink drain hose. I also read on the YJ forum where people were moding their filler tubes with some copper fittings. So I grabbed some copper as well. I got a 45 degree bend and some straight tube and a bunch of hose clamps and went to town.

I cut the hard line of the breather tube down to about one half inch above the neck and ran 5/16 fuel hose to the breather nipple at the tank.

I cut the neck down to about two inches after the large body. I used the original hose to go over the cut. Then the 45 degree bend. Then my lovely new hose for about four inches. Then the copper straight piece to join to the original hose at the tank. This what I ended up with.

If fits.

I wrapped some more rubber around the hose to protect it while I continue to search for hose. I read that the YJ guys were using PVC from a marine use. Gotta research that.

I will try and fill it up today. We will see how that goes
Unread 04-14-2012, 03:11 AM   #118
thirdeye
2004 TJ Wrangler 

dannnng your jeep is sick man! looks awesome
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thirdeyes-second-tj-1816002/
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2012, 07:25 AM   #119
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
dannnng your jeep is sick man! looks awesome
Thanks. It is a never ending project, as you know. I hoping to do the TNT front tube fenders in a few months and then i will be saving my $$$ for axles. I am trying to get to some tons and 37 - 40" shoes.
Unread 04-14-2012, 08:51 AM   #120
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Last night I got the oil changed, diff's changed, chasis and JJ's greased, and gave her a once over. Going to Moab in a week!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.