Jeepin72's Build Thread - Page 39 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Jeepin72's Build Thread

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Toxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake Line

Unread 06-05-2014, 09:31 AM   #571
awinski
2012 JK Wrangler 

looks mucho stronger

awinski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2014, 09:50 AM   #572
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

It is much beefier than before. I thought about welding some plate to the diff cover and bolting it to the bridge. But after welding up the plate and added gussets I didn't it was necessary. I was also worried that anything in that area of the diff cover would contact the TRE on the pitman arm since the axle is pushed as far forward as possible. The trackbar was moved forward and all...
Unread 06-06-2015, 06:32 PM   #573
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The short side of the front 60 has walked excessively for some time. I didn't notice it when it was built the first time. I don't know if it started after the Yukon chromo inner shafts or not. I wonder if it had anything to do with previous breakage?

I've noticed binding when the front hubs are locked. I've sort of put off fixing them. but had some time today. I've read a lot about using or not using snap rings on the Ford 60's. It seems to be a mixed bag where some say they are not needed and others do. They can't hurt right? My 60 didn't have them on when I tore it down for the first time. I didn't put them on either when I built it. That all said, I've got a 96 BJ 60. The snap ring groove is there but it is moved from earlier locations.

From Quad 4x4:

Ford F-350 Dana 60 front axles had an outer axle shaft axle design change that relocated the snap ring groove to the inboard end of the splines. Dana lists the new axle shaft as 1988 mid model year change but Ford does not show this change until 1992. If you are looking for an outer axle shaft for a 1988 to 1991 F-350, you will have to verify the snap ring groove location. QU40371 is the correct outer axle shaft if your 1988/91 F-350 has the snap ring groove at the inboard end of the splines. If your snap ring groove is at the outboard end of the splines, see QU40486!

The shafts are Yukon chromo's, 35 spline inner and 30 spline out with Warn premium hubs.
Unread 06-06-2015, 06:51 PM   #574
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The OEM shaft with snap ring groove at the inboard end of the splines. I don't recall removing any snap ring at tear down. That was years ago and so I could be wrong.

The left to right movement was the problem. The shaft seemed to want to be to the outward side instead of inward. I put the snap ring on in the inboard location and the Warn hubs would not go back on. So pushing the axle in didn't seem to be the answer. Pulling out was left. I moved it outboard and rotated it and there was no binding. So I installed the Warn internals and added the snap ring. I marked with a paint pen.

I added a hose clamp to help guide the cut. Using a cut off wheel I made my own snap ring groove.

Warn internals back in place.

Snap ring added. Drove it with hubs locked in and all was well.
Unread 06-13-2015, 09:27 PM   #575
tdij
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I didn't realize that was happening. I fully believe that contributed to the breakage... as I still believe there was absolutely no reason you should have broken under the circumstances you did.

Nice work on the DIY grove!
Unread 06-17-2015, 09:04 PM   #576
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I don't recall when I first noticed the walk in the short side shaft. The long side doesn't do it. I think I first noticed the binding when turning on snow and I observed skid roll skid patterns. I wasn't sure if I was crazy or if the was a problem. Eventually I realized there was in fact a problem and that's when I discovered the walk in the shafts. Then I put the problem off for a bit...

When I built the axle the first time (OEM inners and Yukon outers) I recall debating the snap rings that came with the Warn hubs. They made no sense to me. The OD of the snap ring was smaller than the ID of the spindle. They didn't come with any washers to place between the spindle and the snap ring. Not to mention the internals for the hub wouldn't fit if the snap ring was in the inboard location either. So, I didn't use them. I don't recall any walk at the time, but I don't think I would have looked for it either.

Before I decided to make the cut I cycled the steering to full lock and turned the tires in both directions. I did it again after the cut and on its own weight. Drove forward and backward at full lock around my cul-de-sac. My neighbors love me! Then a road test. It worked...or at least nothing grenaded
Unread 08-20-2015, 11:28 AM   #577
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

JP Magazine Shoot

Went wheeling a few weekends ago with a writer for JP Magazine. She shot my rig! Who knows if it will make the magazine...but I've got pictures with the watermark to prove it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.