Jeepin72's Build Thread - Page 38 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Jeepin72's Build Thread

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 10-02-2013, 07:08 AM   #556
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The "shake out period" just keeps going. I hope that one of the factors is that after it was thrown together to make the spring Moab run, I really didn't drive it until recently. I am just now finding things that may have presented earlier.

Unread 10-02-2013, 07:50 AM   #557
jason m
your ad here...

Is your truss tied into the center section? If no then that's why It broke. If the truss is not made from some thing like 2x3 3/16 or 1/4" wall then it will bend the upper part of the truss like yours did, unless you tie it into your center section.

I used 2x3 3/16" wall on that one and still tide into the center section. I know space is a problem with a front 60 and a 3 link tab mounted above the center section, so 2x3 might be to big and that's why you chose the smaller tube. But you need to get that tied into more spots or you will be allways breaking/bending steel there.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 10:16 PM   #558
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The truss started out as 2x4 3/16 tube. I more or less cut it in half on the two inch side to keep it low to the pumpkin because as you said, space is a premium. I actually left about 3/4" of steel on that short side. I thought the short side walls would resist the twisting, but apparently there was not enough to resist the forces.

So yeah, it twisted. I have some ideas on adding some 1/4 plate to the back of the existing truss. It should box in the existing steel. And then weld the added plate to the pumpkin. I will get a shot of what I am talking about later.

I fired up my trusty OLD (really old) SMAW tonight and repaired the cracks. I am not a great welder and even worse with the stick. I laid down a lot of material over the cracked weld and got a bead over the crack near the UCA mount. I also added some material to the existing welds on the UCA mount for good measure.

Winter is starting to set in here in the Rockies. I hope the repair can get me through till the trails are blocked. Then I can focus on the front truss.
Jeepin72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2013, 08:14 PM   #559
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Got good and monkeyed up today. Cracked the same welds again The other radius arm JJ blew out. It drove the snap ring right out of its groove. The radius arms are not happy! The passenger side JJ didn't want to be built in the first place, so I wonder if that is a lingering issue from the build. I had to grind down the washer to get the snap ring in in the first place.

The truss has to be re-worked...

Unread 10-06-2013, 11:18 PM   #560
tdij
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sweet! Find any snow up there today?

Well... on the bright side... you get to pull your axle out from under your jeep again... sounds like fun! Lets just put some rocks under there while you are at it... and you can buy some even bigger shoes!

After all... you are getting pretty good at axle swaps!
Unread 10-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #561
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

There was a lot of water and ice. Ice dams had formed causing a ton of standing water making for wet tires! The trail leader should have named his Jeep after an ice breaker.

I have an idea on adding some more gussets and steel to reinforce the truss. Oh well.
Unread 12-21-2013, 01:34 PM   #562
jose_p_adams
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin72 View Post

I also got the parking brake set up. The Eldorado e-brakes live up to the name. They will hold you in a parking spot or on a slight grade. They will not stop the rolling vehicle and don't hold you at 1500 RPM's (fortunately Colorado does not have vehicle inspections).

I may consider doing a drive line brake as well. I already have flange style yokes on the Atlas anyhow. Building a brake there won't be a major undertaking.
Do you remember what cables you ended up using? I have a similar set up and need to get my parking brake working. Thanks!
jose_p_adams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2013, 03:41 PM   #563
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I ended up getting some Teraflex XJ cable. It has the right ends to hook up to the Eldorado e-brake lever (some filing) and the correct ends for the TJ at the other side. I went with it because it was 58" and the TJ one was the standard 42" cable. I ordered it through Summit Racing.

The XJ cable didn't work out well though, turns out the housing was too short once it was in. Since the Eldorado brake levers have such a heavy spring on them already and I couldn't thread the brake cable through with the spring they come with on them, I cut the spring off of the brake and am using only the brake lever spring. Once I did that, there was too much slack on the other end and it all couldn't be absorbed the adjuster. I doubled the cable back on itself and used some heavy clamps to capture the cable.

I marked the cable with some paint. So far there's been no slippage from the cable clamps at all. There's been no issue with the brakes releasing, the Eldo spring has been more than enough.

I just looked at the Teraflex site and they have a universal brake cable that is for a TJ and is 58.5" inches. In the picture it has the same ends that the XJ one does. The housing may be more correct, but it looks like it may just be the XJ cable.

What I really tried to find was an LJ cable. I read a thread on Jeep Kings that the LJ cable has the same exposed cable length, but is 10 inches longer than the TJ. They said ABSCO part number 61117. I couldn't find an LJ cable anywhere. NAPA, CarQuest, AutoZone, Summit Racing, etc...

I didn't want to pay the money at the dealership either. I was bummed when the XJ wasn't perfect either, but I made them work rather than spend more money. Someday I may revisit the cables if I notice them slipping or something.
Unread 03-01-2014, 09:03 PM   #564
hoovail
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Hey...did ya sell that thing or what! Where are the updates? Surely you've done something! Moab is coming up!!

Real Jeeps are built, not "bolt-on"!
hoovail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 07:34 PM   #565
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I haven't sold the heep! Unlike any winter before, I've done not a single thing. Not one, not even an oil change! I've driven it to the ski hill and back nearly every day off. Cracked braceket and all

My son is ripping on the ski slope. He is a solid level 4 skier (no wedge and getting the ski on edge) at 4 years old. We skied a lot last year, but this year, he is rocking it. He loves it and so I've spent all my time off with him on the slopes.

Spring is coming and I am feeling the itch. I've got the new Clayton bracket I need and some 1/4" plate to build the truss over again. Got some ideas.

I just gotta find some time to drop the axle down to burn in some new steel. I don't think the axle will need to be pulled. Just dropped so the coil can be pulled out and get the arms out of the way.

I can't even begin to express the joy of watching my son learn to do something well, he likes it, and it is something I love. This has been a great winter for learning about what it means to be a dad.
Unread 03-04-2014, 07:46 PM   #566
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I haven't sold the heep! Unlike any winter before, I've done not a single thing. Not one, not even an oil change! I've driven it to the ski hill and back nearly every day off. Cracked braceket and all

My son is ripping on the ski slope. He is a solid level 4 skier (no wedge and getting the ski on edge) at 4 years old. We skied a lot last year, but this year, he is rocking it. He loves it and so I've spent all my time off with him on the slopes.

Spring is coming and I am feeling the itch. I've got the new Clayton bracket I need and some 1/4" plate to build the truss over again. Got some ideas.

I just gotta find some time to drop the axle down to burin in some new steel. I don't think the axle will need to be pulled. Just dropped so the coil can be pulled out and get the arms out of the way.

I can't even begin to express the joy of watching my son learn to do something well, he likes it, and it is something I love. This has been a great winter for learning about what it means to be a dad.
sounds like a great time, sadly i've only gotten out once this year. when things like this happen the jeep can be put aside, i am eager to see you re work this truss tho.
awinski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 08:01 PM   #567
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yes the Jeep has been second on the priority list this winter. I've got a growing "laundry list" of things to address on the maintenance end before the summer wheeling season.

I've got one Eldo parking brake lever that sticks in cold weather. It sticks in the engaged position and a swift tap with a hammer releases it! It doesn't do it if it is above freeing. It may not be an issue since I don't plan on this thing being a weekend ride for much longer. Or...I may be getting a new caliper.
Unread 03-04-2014, 08:03 PM   #568
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Yes the Jeep has been second on the priority list this winter. I've got a growing "laundry list" of things to address on the maintenance end before the summer wheeling season.

I've got one Eldo parking brake lever that sticks in cold weather. It sticks in the engaged position and a swift tap with a hammer releases it! It doesn't do it if it is above freeing. It may not be an issue since I don't plan on this thing being a weekend ride for much longer. Or...I may be getting a new caliper.
e brake sticking in cold weather doesn't seem like too much of a problem!
awinski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2014, 09:51 AM   #569
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Had the most fun working overtime in my life today....

After an epic snowpack this winter the spring melt is causing flooding in the central Rockies. Culverts and bridges have failed. I was sent up with Road and Bridge and a swift water team to inspect one of our county roads that is now gone leaving a small town cut off. Not to make light of the situation for those that remained after a voluntary evacuation order, but I was able to wheel my bosses Tahoe on a road turned riverbed. According to a swift water team member following me I got the rear end two feet off of the ground at one point.

Unread 06-05-2014, 09:59 AM   #570
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Re-Building the Truss

The 2x4 3/16 rect tube used to build the truss failed. The metal cracked around the radius arm mount. I forgot to take a picture of the failure before cutting it up after it was off of the axle.

Anyway, I went with the same design but with 1/4 plate and added gussets in the rear and welded them to the pumpkin.

I kept the gussets in the front. The top plate extends one inch behind the radius arm mount whereas before the top plate ended right at the radius arm mount.

The bridge is now five inches wide and before it was four.

Rear gussets were added. They were welded to the pumpkin where possible. Plate was added directly behind the ultimate location of the control arm mount.

More rear gussets that go the length of the bridge.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.