Jeepin72's Build Thread - Page 36 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Jeepin72's Build Thread

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippHuge Soft top Sale

Unread 09-03-2013, 09:05 PM   #526
spookylynx
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin72 View Post
I built up about 1/8" with weld and ground it down.

So, when's this thing going in?

spookylynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 07:24 PM   #527
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I am trying to figure out a time with Hoovail to get it over to the garage. I wanted it delivered there so I didn't have to mess with that aspect, but Boyce sent it to my house anyway

Whats next week look like? I am hoping I can get it to Minturn on Friday (I can work that night) or on Sat or Sun. I could use a hand to double check the math for the brackets and such!
Unread 09-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #528
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Last night I got the coil bucket perches and LCA brackets tacked in as well as the truss with UCA brackets. I am going to wait and do the anti-rock and shock tabs when I test fit it. Got some welding done on the top of the tube joining the center chunk and the tubes.

Unread 09-07-2013, 07:49 PM   #529
mncdriver
1987 YJ Wrangler 

sweet build!
mncdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 04:31 PM   #530
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mncdriver View Post
sweet build!
Thanks man!

Tomorrow I plan on getting the 14 bolt slung under the rig. It will be long day pulling the 60 and fitting the 14 bolt, but it should be a driver tomorrow
Unread 09-09-2013, 10:15 PM   #531
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I got the 14 Bolt slung under the Jeep today. I still have a 101" wheel base. I have more room between the diff cover and the tank. I had to pull about an inch out of the slip in the drive shaft. I gotta call Tom Woods and see if it needs to be lengthended or if it is fine.

Testing fit at full compression without springs and such. Making sure I am not hitting the tank.

I was always puzzled as to why the pumpkin on the 60 never appeared centered in the notch on the GenRight tank. I knew the axle was centered and the tank can only go where it goes. I couldn't figure it out, but it certainly didn't keep me up at night. Now I know why...GenRight must assume you are using a 14 bolt, not a stinking 60. The 14 bolt fits nicely in the notch in the tank.

Cycled the suspension. No binding or issues observed.

There was plenty of room for the AntiRock, shock perches, etc...The tube length/spindle length of the 14 bolt is different than the 60. Things are a bit crowded on the 14 bolt but all fits well. The brake lines are on, but I may revisit these. I used a 30" and 8" premade line with the soft lines. The drivers side has a huge bow in the soft line but it doesn't rub, at least on anything I could see.

14 bolt

I am certainly going to have to revisit brakes. The pedal is mushier than before. I want to try the Dodge MC I still have with a gutted proportioning valve and see what that gets me. If that doesn't work, hydroboost is needed soon.
Unread 09-09-2013, 10:18 PM   #532
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Oh, and I never got a chance to hook up the parking brake cables and give those a go before I had to call it a night. She drives well. I actually like the manners better than the 60. It makes me wonder if there is a problem with the Detroit in the 60 or if something else was going on. That 60 caused some sweet shimmy.
Unread 09-10-2013, 06:08 AM   #533
jason m

Glad the axle is working out for you, looks good swap under there.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 06:46 AM   #534
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason m View Post
Glad the axle is working out for you, looks good swap under there.

Jason.
Thanks man Hopefully going wheeling on Friday.
Unread 09-11-2013, 09:34 PM   #535
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

This evening I swapped the Dodge MC back in and gutted the proportioning valve. The brakes were sketch with the Eldo calipers and dual piston Ford calipers running off of the TJ MC. The TJ MC was functional with the drum brake 60, but was not working well at all with the new Eldo calipers.

There is plenty out there about this swap and I think I wrote about it quite a bit pages back. There are many who will tell you this is not the solution. What I will tell you is that I can finally stop from 45 MPH in about 20 feet. I had the MC and it didn't cost me any new money.

I cannot lock up the 40's like some report, but I am stopping better than I have since the one ton project began. I have a high stiff pedal as is usually reported with this swap. I will leave the tech on braking to the gurus, but this is going to work for me for now.

In gutting the proportioning valve I simply removed this rubber O ring. It can be easily removed without destroying it if you want to swap it back it in.

The Dodge MC next to the TJ MC. I think I addressed this pages back. I took it out after the 60 swap and shoved some rubber plugs in it and left it filled in the event I needed it in the future. It's been sitting on a shelt in the garage ever since.

Now it is back in service and doing what it should. I can revisit hydroboost in the coming months. At least I can stop now without setting off trouble codes and terrifying myself.

I went to work on the parking brake cables and of course those will not work out. I got some Teraflex TJ cables for stretches and the exposed cable is way too long. Gotta mess with that still.
Unread 09-12-2013, 11:55 PM   #536
1989comanche
1989 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin72

I totally get what you are saying. That is what I was thinking about doing until Jason brought up snagging that plate.

If the 1/8" plate was welded around the circumference of the cut except for at the bolt surface where it would extend past the surface and preferably follow the angle of the diff cover for about a 1/4" and cut slits for more welds, would that damage to housing if it was ripped off?

You can see that there is about 2mm of the housing below the diff cover.

Or, just add a bunch of weld and grind smooth.
Get you some hard facing rods, run a few stringer beads that will last you awhile.
Unread 09-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #537
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989comanche View Post
Get you some hard facing rods, run a few stringer beads that will last you awhile.
Thanks for the idea.

Went out and ran Holy Cross today. Everything worked well.

I walked right up the ledge.

Made it through French Creek

Most everything worked. The P-Brake is still not hooked up and my pumpkin was hot. The diff cover was hot to the touch. Gotta look into that.
Unread 09-13-2013, 08:13 PM   #538
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I was not kind to the rig today. I put it bad situations on purpose. It was a "first day out" of sorts. If you ever ask if there is junk you buy because you heard it was needed...the pinion guard proved it's worth.

Unread 09-13-2013, 10:12 PM   #539
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Did you go up Cleveland rock? From what I hear thats pretty nasty.

Btw your rig is beautiful. Inspiration for mine... one day.
Moabrubi is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 10:33 PM   #540
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Denied on Cleveland Rock. It's been really wet and it has a huge puddle at the bottom right now. Wet tires equal no hook up. There were a couple of buggies in front of us and only one made it.

Even at 101" Cleveland is a massive slick slab! It is uber nasty!

Thanks

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.