Jeepin72's Build Thread - Page 17 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Jeepin72's Build Thread

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 11-03-2012, 08:38 PM   #241
tdij
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin72 View Post
I started looking into "cutting brakes" the other day. This could be the answer to the selectable parking brake?
This cutting brake is a hydraulic setup correct? This would be better than just a line lock... as it would give variable control! That is part of the reason I have been leaning towards independent mechanical brakes instead, so I would have that ability to control and release as desired. I really like this. It would require splitting your brake lines left to right up front, instead of on the rear axle.

I don't know why you would think you need a mechanical e-brake... it's not like hydraulic systems ever fail!

Unread 11-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #242
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah the cutting brake is a hydraulic set up. It may be more plumbing than I want or need to do right now. After further reading it seems to be more than I need to focus on! I need to get a front and rear slung under the heep and get it to a roller. I can always go back and do some trick buggy stuff like a cutting brake.
Unread 11-10-2012, 05:03 PM   #243
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Poison Spyder Customs Bombshell Dana 60 Differential Cover

Packaging was lack luster. The box was split when it arrived. Does that matter This hunk of metal is stout.

I decided on the Bombshell because it had the rounded edeges for sliding. The bolts were some what protected in the couter sunk holes. It came with grade 8 hex head hardware (six point). I drive like crap so sometimes I need to bash my way back ward through rocks and this diff cover offers that opportunity!

Strange note: on the track (those of the you who know me may know what I am refering to) I can run 100 mph and not hit a cone in annual tests!

The winter paint shop in the garage is revived!

My Clayton Tuss also arrived

The build continues.

I decided to go with a Great Lake Off Road disk brak conversion kit. It has the e-brake calipers. More to come.

Last edited by Jeepin72; 11-19-2012 at 04:34 PM.. Reason: Cus I wanna
Jeepin72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #244
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Bombshell

After some prep, primer and Semi Gloss Black.

Unread 11-10-2012, 08:15 PM   #245
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I like the new diff cover. Beefy.
kyle_craig is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2012, 10:44 PM   #246
tdij
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Nice... like the progress. Any potential front ends out there?

I'm jealous... I'd love to spend just one day on the track as a stunt driver... and you get to do it regularly! I want to know how fast you can do it in the Jeep without taking out some cones!

You guys are always having fun... I've been trying to get "OP" to let me and his coworker go a round some time... I think that would be a blast... even if I have to change my shorts afterwards!
Unread 11-10-2012, 10:50 PM   #247
tdij
1993 YJ Wrangler 

As far as the cutting brake... I like it... but I don't know if I really want to route my brake lines all over like that. I still think independent cable brakes will be enough for me. After all, I'm not driving a buggy, and I feel like the places that it would come in handy are relatively limited. I just figure if I have to set up a custom parking brake from handle to axle... I might as well split it while I'm at it as it can't hurt to have options. Besides... I need a few more levers in my cab!
Unread 11-11-2012, 05:58 AM   #248
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I was looking at a high pinion Ford Dana 60 (89 I think). It is a ball joint front. A guy on CO4x4 had one for sale, all cleaned up with new disk brakes for about $1400.00. I would still need brackets, locker, gears, diff cover, etc...

You can pick up front 60's for couple of hundred, but they need some work (ball joints, knuckles, hubs, etc...) I have seen them for as little as $200.00, but they are "builders" in every sense of the word. Basically empty housings.

On a whim I called Dynatrac the other day. A ProRock 60 at a custom width to match my rear, with stub hubs, 35 spline outers, locked, geared, high steer, tie rod and drag link... Expensive, but right out of the crate it would bolt up and would be the front axle I would ever buy!

So the answer is, I am still looking around. I think I will get the rear set up and keep looking for now.
Unread 11-11-2012, 06:01 AM   #249
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_craig View Post
I like the new diff cover. Beefy.
Hopefully this piece of machined "high ductile iron" will keep my gears safe when I can't.
Unread 11-11-2012, 06:08 AM   #250
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdij View Post
As far as the cutting brake... I like it... but I don't know if I really want to route my brake lines all over like that. I still think independent cable brakes will be enough for me. After all, I'm not driving a buggy, and I feel like the places that it would come in handy are relatively limited. I just figure if I have to set up a custom parking brake from handle to axle... I might as well split it while I'm at it as it can't hurt to have options. Besides... I need a few more levers in my cab!
More levers! Think of it as anti-theft, no could figure out how to drive the Bobcat away if they wanted to.

I am going to go with some e-brake calipers in the rear to keep it simple for now. I keep coming up with huge plans and I have to remind myself to ratchet it back and get the one ton swap done first. Then I can always go back and do some real trick Sh%t later.

The cutting brakes may be a cool thing down the road once this thing is a trailer queen.

I've seen Op's partner take a nibble on some people....ouch! At the company picnic they usually suit up a couple of people for fun. The people take off running across the football field and man, he runs them down and hits like a ton of bricks!
Unread 11-11-2012, 11:56 AM   #251
tdij
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Fronts are definitely the hard axle to find... gook luck on the search! I've been keeping my eyes out... Would you be open to building from a stock axle?

Trailer queen? Don't talk like that! You'd miss DD'ing your jeep. I've gone back and forth between my jeep being a DD and not... and every time I get another vehicle I really miss driving my Jeep every day.

We've talked to op about using the yard for training... and I volunteered to help out... but we haven't made it happen. No question it would be the scariest thing I've done in a long time... but I think it would be a neat experience.

Looking forward to seeing the axle build up... I want to see the disc brake selection come together.
Unread 11-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #252
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah I'm open to building up a stocker. I am looking or a high pinion Ford 67" wide. I don't care if it is ball joint or kingpin. 6 in one and a half dozen in the other in my opinion. My understanding is they come 35 spline inner and 30 spline outer. I would like locking hubs. I know I will have to do a minimum of gears, locker, and brackets.

I wan't to get it set up for high steer as well. That would take a knuckle swap or some machining.

I can always go back and do a 35 spline outer conversion later.
Unread 11-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #253
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

So... The disk brake conversion...unless there is a person with compelling reason not to ... will be the Great Lake Offroad set up for a Dodge rear.

Really cool that they have a Dodge specific set up. I searched and searched. Blue Torch Fab and Ballistic have brackets for Fords but no Dodges. Wilwood has some universal stuff, but nothing specific to the Dodge. Maybe it is a sign, but there is very little Dodge drum to disk brake stuff out there! Now that absolutely could be that the drums work, there is no NEED to go to a disk.

I have been holding off on my decision since I wanted to do all the reading I could. I wanted to do it...just because!

I wanted to make sure I ordered brackets with the right holes. The last thing I wanted was to get some brackets and mess around with re-driling the holes or screwing with spacers for a month to get the caliper to line up with the rotor. This kit will put the rotors in the right spot instead of me trying to figure it out with a weld on universal unit.

All of the weld on universals used 77ish Chevy Calipers. All from the front end of 4x4 Chevy. I could not find any application that would allow for a mechanical e-brake. There may be one, but I couldn't find it. This being my first one ton job, I am taking the path of least resistance!

An e-brake is must for me. In Colorado there are way to many shelf roads, peak top ends, kids in the Jeep, etc... to not have a mechanical e-brake; at least for me.

Now I know I said above about the big plans being dropped, but to me this is a good one. First, the brake line going into the passenger side drum is bunged up...the PO couldn't get the fitting out and cut the line and stripped the fitting. I would have to take some heat, PB Blaster, or who knows what to get it out. He is a professional mechanic, if he couldn't get it out, why should I?

That being said, he was wrenching on this axle while it was under his rig, after a grave yard shift, after doing a motor swap in his truck, all in the same two days....He may have been tired and chucking tools (his own words). The axle is well maintained and not a rusted hunk o crap.

I would say what a d%ck, but he is a friend of a friend and may become a really good wheeling buddy! He has a sick CJ8 and is a club pres. Good guy. He was moving up to a 14 bolt. He ran this axle for six years with no issues till he moved to some stickies. He ran everything from a 38 to a 42. Snapped a shaft on the 40 stickies. Since he is a wrench, he grabbed a 14 bolt and moved on. He sold me the axle for the cost of the locker and gears.

I have added a lot of weight to my heep over the last year. Cutting out the weight of the drum will be a plus. I have no other reason for doing the swap (outside the above mentioned) than for it is something to do. I know that I will not gain stopping power with a rear drum to disk swap.

I will gain ease of maintenance. It will be an excuse to pull apart the hub and learn all about the full float assembly. I know the axle comes out super simple, but the hub, that may be another story. I have been reading about it ...

When it is done, it will be trick! The last big plan for this axle after it is slung will be some chromo's. It is only a 30 spline. Now yes it is a full floater and that should be more than enough for my little TJ, but it is piece of mind. We wheel alone way too often. The chromo's can come later (Yukon or Dutchman).

The Kit:
The calipers are from a 76-78 Caddy Elodorado - e-brake capable - will work with the existing TJ cables
Pads
Brackets that build off of the studs for the drum
Spacers
Soft line
All hardware
Brackets to mount off of the Dodge bolt pattern
Rotors
All will set up for the 8x6.5" bolt pattern

Only downfall, coin! About 500 bones, but it is what it is...This is one trick thing I want done done before the axle is under the Jeep.
Unread 11-15-2012, 09:47 AM   #254
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Stuff

Added a little detailing to the diff cover today.

I am going to hold off on the GLO brake kit. Did some reading about bias and piston bore. I think the bore on the Eldorado calipers may be too large!

The 75 Chevy 4x4 front calipers are the other popular way to go. I am trying to find out the bore of those. They are single piston from a 3x4 ton (Dana 44) and should be similar to the ones coming off the Jeep? It leaves me with no parking brake though!

Keep Reading
Unread 11-19-2012, 04:30 PM   #255
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Clayton 4-Link Truss

So I pulled the Clayton Truss out of the box today. Clayton changed their truss from round tube to square. I guess to match the arms

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.