Jeepin72's Build Thread - Page 16 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Jeepin72's Build Thread

Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!Advance Adapters SYE KitsKOR Labor Week Sale and Giveaway

Unread 10-10-2012, 02:17 AM   #226
tdij
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin72 View Post
I haven't seen a thread from Drew yet

In other news ... I bought a rear Dana 60 the other day! More to come once I get it my hands.
It's up... and congrats on the 60! Can't wait to put that thing in, although I will miss having you as one of the last small tired buddies I have!

Unread 10-10-2012, 08:03 AM   #227
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I will still be on the 35's for a while. I opened Pandora's box (again) and now I have a whole pile of parts to accumulate! So far to be able to sling the rear 60 under the vehicle i am looking at:

1) Clayton Truss - I am intrigued by the GenRight Truss that stands the JJ's on a vertical axis instead of horizontal. GenRight says it will reduce anitsquat. Unfortunately, it is almost $300.00 whereas the the Clayton Truss is only $140.00. From what I have read, moving the LCA brackets up to a high clearance location will also reduce antisquat preventing the front end from unloading. If I understand this correctly, the more horizontal the LCA is the better off you are and the closer the axle end of the rear control arms are together the better of you are.

2) LCA Brackets, Shock Tabs, and Coil Buckets from GenRight. The LCA Brackets and Shock Tabs will be welded on in a high clearance fashion.

3) A Poison Spyder Customs Bombshell differential cover.

Things to consider:

1) Ruff Stuff or Ballistic Fab disc brake brackets.
2) Rotors and calipers. (for a 77 Chevy from what I was told)
3) Aftermarket shafts.

Specs:
Axle is from a 79 Dodge
5.13 Gears
Detroit Locker
Full Float 30 spline shafts
Drum Brakes
8 lug x 6.5 Pattern
Unread 10-11-2012, 07:39 PM   #228
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

A recovery story!
Unread 10-11-2012, 08:07 PM   #229
tdij
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
A recovery story!
Happy to get to work with you on that. You aren't' taking much credit for it... but I know this only happened because of you.

Ryan says
I say
Unread 10-11-2012, 08:22 PM   #230
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Hey, you guys rock! Making a difference in your community only takes interest. I dedicate 40 hours a week (usually more) to doing what we all should do. Look out for one another, look out for the common good!
Unread 10-11-2012, 08:23 PM   #231
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdij View Post
Happy to get to work with you on that. You aren't' taking much credit for it... but I know this only happened because of you.

Ryan says
I say
You did get the better end of the deal!
Unread 10-12-2012, 08:42 PM   #232
thirdeye
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Man that's a sweet story there. Nice!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thirdeyes-second-tj-1816002/
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2012, 05:42 AM   #233
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
Man that's a sweet story there. Nice!
We had the time, energy, and equipment to get it done! I just hope the USFS remembers who did it when it comes to future management decisions.
Unread 10-13-2012, 05:04 PM   #234
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Today I brought home my new to me Dana 60 Full Floater. This beast came out of a 79 Dodge. Right now it has the 30 spline full floaters, 5.13's, 1350 u-joints, and a Detroit Locker.

I have plans to do a disk brake conversion, truss, and more before it is slung under the Jeep. Of course I still have to find some rolling stock, and a front 60!
Unread 10-14-2012, 04:07 PM   #235
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Parts Ideas.

Lower Control Arm mounts - Ruff Stuff 10 Degree
Shock Tabs - Ruff Stuff
Anti Rock tabs - Ruff Stuff - Multiple length set
Coil Spring Off-Set Kit - Ruff Stuff
Poison Spyder Customs Diff Cover
Clayton Truss
Yukon Shafts / Branik Shafts / Dutchman Shafts
Parking Brake
Shocks - Billsteins
Driveshafts - Tom Woods

Other Stuff:
Brake line
Disc Brake Conversion Bracket - Ruff Stuff? Blue Torch Fab?
Brake Calipers to match
Rotors

Down the Road:
TnT Customs Highline Front Tube Fenders
Rokmen edging and hood pins
Currie Bumpstops - Rear?
Unread 10-14-2012, 07:18 PM   #236
tdij
1993 YJ Wrangler 

When I get around to doing a parking brake... plan is to do a dual lever independent right/left setup. You might consider that while you are going through the build from scratch stage. Especially with the front wheel drive the atlas gives you. Just a thought
Unread 10-14-2012, 07:32 PM   #237
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I like the idea of the independent parking brakes. It would work real sweet with the Atlas. I will have to pick your brain a bit more about that one!
Unread 10-20-2012, 10:35 PM   #238
tdij
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I like the idea of the independent parking brakes. It would work real sweet with the Atlas. I will have to pick your brain a bit more about that one!
I haven't done too much serious planning on this yet because I still want to get a different rear axle, so I'm holding off on the parking brake until then. Shouldn't be too hard... hardest part for you would likely be the interior challenges of trying to set up two handles.

I also want to set up brake interlocks on the front wheels so I can lock just one or both of the front wheels independently as well

Quote:
From what I have read, moving the LCA brackets up to a high clearance location will also reduce antisquat preventing the front end from unloading. If I understand this correctly, the more horizontal the LCA is the better off you are and the closer the axle end of the rear control arms are together the better of you are.
I'm not real familiar with link suspension geometry but isn't design all about balancing the factors? Any down sides of those proposed changes? I didn't think there was anything in a link suspension that was straight up "better off" simply the "more" you do any one thing.
Unread 11-02-2012, 04:50 PM   #239
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

A useful thead about long arms. There are many, way to many, but my understanding of it all says I need to move the rear LCA mounts up to centerline of the axle tube. Not just for clearnace, but for better geometry.

I started looking into "cutting brakes" the other day. This could be the answer to the selectable parking brake?

Yeah I know the above thread is really about a radius arm (up front) it is still informative.
Unread 11-02-2012, 04:58 PM   #240
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Parts are ordered!

Clayton Truss - I considered doing something like a Blue Torch Fab or Ballistic truss where the diff cover bolts to the truss, but then 4 link brackets are welded to the top of the truss. I wasn't sure of the unintended changes in geometry. The Clayton truss would have shorter that either of those once built. I figures Clayton builds it the where they intend the UCA's to be in relation to the LCA's.

LCA Brackets - 10 degree from Ruff Stuff
Shock Tabs - Ruff Stuff
AntiRock Tab Set - Ruff Stuff
Coil Buckets - Ruff Stuff - Got some ordered with and off-set. This should allow me to put the coil an inch or two infront of the centerline of the tube. When I stretched the Jeep I was able to get the axle way back to about 99" wheel base. The problem was the coils were canted. This should allow me to get the Dana 60 back as far as I can and keep the coils vertical.

Poison Spyder Bombshell diff cover.

I am still trying to sort out the disk brak conversion. I am leaning toward the Ballistic fab weld on brackets that use GM front calipers. The problem is then, what do I do about a parking brake. Time to keep reading.

There are some trick options putting the disk off of the TC...but they cost some $$$.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.