Jeepin72's Build Thread - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Jeepin72's Build Thread

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-22-2012, 06:40 AM   #211
AngryTJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

3rd pic is pretty awesome, amazing surroundings

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f345/jf-trip-2-0-a-2608114/"][SIZE="3"][B]
2015 Colorado Trip[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2012, 08:48 PM   #212
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdij View Post
Thanks, I like it... however I have to say I liked it more before I rolled it!

It was good to see you this trip... sorry I missed the second half of it.

Fugly survived!
We all wish you could have finished out the trip with us. The trip down Black Bear, which they made me lead, was awesome. Unfortunately, our camera was dead by then and we didn't get any good pics of the right turn into oblivion. What a trail!

We are so glad you walked away from the roll and we got you and your rig out. Wrenching skills and creativity let us get your rig out of some serious back country.
Unread 08-22-2012, 08:54 PM   #213
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
3rd pic is pretty awesome, amazing surroundings
Southwest Colorado is even more beautiful than the rest. I am fortunate enough to live in the central rockies. I have never toured the southwest. WOW! Truely amazing.

We started in Ouray. Headed up Mineral Creek and camped out. We went up Poughkepsie Gulch and down California Pass to where we camped out in Burns Gulch (at about 11000 feet). The next day we dropped into Silverton for some lunch and supplies.

From there we went down Black Bear and up Emogene to our next camp. Then the next day we went out Emogene and back to Ouray. What a trip.

Unread 08-22-2012, 09:06 PM   #214
tdij
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin72 View Post
We all wish you could have finished out the trip with us. The trip down Black Bear, which they made me lead, was awesome. Unfortunately, our camera was dead by then and we didn't get any good pics of the right turn into oblivion. What a trail!

We are so glad you walked away from the roll and we got you and your rig out. Wrenching skills and creativity let us get your rig out of some serious back country.
Glad you enjoyed the trip! It's annual... so keep next year in the back of your mind. I really want to try and get the guys up for a rubicon trip next year, maybe in leu of the san juan trip.

Black Bear is a really nice experience. I vividly remember leading my first time down. I ran it solo a few weeks ago with my sister(thankfully the brakes waited till this week to fail) and it never gets old. There is so much in this region to explore... but it's hard not to incorporate black bear into this trip every year.

Thanks again for all your help getting the jeep out of the road, limp-able, and into town. I greatly appreciate your help! And thanks for breaking out the binoculars... without those I might have been sitting down there by myself for another half hour!

I left the Jeep in Silverton, went up and got a tow truck, and picked it up yesterday. Loaded all my stuff on the truck today, and Breck bound in the morning. A few weeks earlier than planned, but rolling a jeep has a way of adjusting things a bit.

I was going to try and get a Holy Cross trip together when I got back... as I have some revenge to take out on that trail... but I'll probably just throw the Jeep in the impound yard for a while... and spend some time researching and shopping for the repairs.

Thanks again for your help!
Unread 08-22-2012, 09:12 PM   #215
tdij
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin72 View Post
This is awesome... I love that you have a picture taken from the top of the pass looking down on my rolled Jeep. About ten minutes from now you will break out the binoculars, and realize you should quit waving at me and come back to help out!

That picture gives you some credibility though... you'd never be able to see the damage from this distance
Unread 09-09-2012, 06:15 PM   #216
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

A little welding for the sake of it...

The Clayton crossmember crossed right under the drain plug for my Atlas TC. Removing the crossmember every time I needed to change the fluid (every 10,000) in the TC was not going to be a good long term option. The whole point of a two piece system like Clayton's is that you can drop the skid and not the crossmember.

So I burned in a notch today.

While I was at it I repainted the skid and the crossmember. They are designed to sit face to face. The problem is there is no where for water or mud to drain. They were already rusting. I think the heat from the drivetrain and vibration has destroyed the paint and led to the oxidation.

I put a bead of silicone down and let it set. It should give a 1/4 inch in between the two surfaces and allow some air to move.

You can see the bead of Silicone around the notch.
Unread 09-15-2012, 08:02 PM   #217
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Today I had to order a 14 mm and 17 mm socket to do my NSG370 fluid change. Not even Lowe's had them! Bummer...
Unread 09-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #218
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Coolest Trail Find Ever

Found a JK X today. It was gutted! My Guess is insurance fraud.

Looks like it was rolled. What I can say is it DID NOT roll to this location. It was driven. There were still tire tracks. There is no way to roll to this location.

We were out bushwacking when we found it. We walked about a half mile from the trail while exploring and stumbled on it.

Unread 09-17-2012, 09:16 AM   #219
hoovail
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Crazy, where was it?

Real Jeeps are built, not "bolt-on"!
hoovail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2012, 02:55 PM   #220
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

We were on the Warden Gulch trail off of Peru Creek in Summit. The trail is nothing special, just a scenic fall ride. It's tight, but there is nothing to roll a Jeep on thats for sure. The Jeep itself was up near the mine at the end of the trail at tree line. Someone drove it about a quarter mile down a ravine and around a corner so really can't be seen from the trail. There were still tire tracks, either from the Jeep or the people that gutted it.

It definately did not roll to where it was! I want to go back up on the trails off of Peru Creek and see if I can find where it rolled. I am guessing Argentine Pass. It is closed from the Summit side. Aparently the road washed out and the Forest Service is not going to fix it. That is my guess.

My bet is insurance fraud. They rolled it, gutted if for marketable parts, and reported it stolen. It's a 2008. There had to be a loan / insurance. Those people want a stolen report or you are on the hook. Why else ditchh a JK?
Unread 09-19-2012, 12:32 PM   #221
thirdeye
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yea thats crazy that such a new jeep ended up like many old jeeps
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thirdeyes-second-tj-1816002/
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2012, 05:52 AM   #222
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

So I learned that the Jeep was stolen out of Douglas County, Colorado in 2009. It's been sitting there since July 2010. There is really informative thread on this hunk o junk on Colorado4x4.org. Apparently, the club that adopted the trail can't even get the USFS to sign off on a plan to get it out.

The local Sheriff's Office was notified back in 2010. I am not sure how the insurance company was not held responsibe for removing that thing if the owner was not.

It's unfortunate that it there. Those are the kind of things that get held against us when they consider trail closures.
Unread 10-06-2012, 08:15 PM   #223
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

An Awesome Experience

I got to go wheeling today and take part in an awesome experience. We helped the wheeling community, the environment, the USFS, local law enforcement, and countless others. I won't say too much until TDIJ has a chance to get a thread going.

All I can say is a major shout out to Ryans Towing and Recovery in Breckenridge, Colorado. They can get anything out of anywhere!
Unread 10-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #224
hoovail
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Can't wait to hear the story! Has Drew posted a thread yet?

Real Jeeps are built, not "bolt-on"!
hoovail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2012, 05:53 PM   #225
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I haven't seen a thread from Drew yet

In other news ... I bought a rear Dana 60 the other day! More to come once I get it my hands.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.