Jeepin72's Build Thread - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Jeepin72's Build Thread

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-06-2012, 01:30 PM   #181
tdij
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Can't help but laugh at the leverage that rack would put on the stock tailgate in that pic. Something like that would likely work well for this purpose... on a stout tire carrier.

Unread 08-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #182
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Garvin Rack - Meet the F-ugly

Thanks for the input guys! I am not sure if I will use this, but here is what I spent the day doing...

The vehicle...

Based on Hoovails pic I decided I would try to build my own rack for the tire Garvin Industries Wilderness Series swing out tire carrier. The system is meant to have a rack, can mounts, and a shovel and axe mount attached. For more money of course. It is bolted to the rear cross-member and I also had it welded for added strength years ago when I put it on.

The rack was going to be another $315.00, ouch. I don't even want to keep the tire carrier so I was not about to invest that coin into it.

I did not want the system that Hoovail posted, but his coment on building one and the pic inspired me to get off my duff and learn to weld. Thanks for the offer Hoovail, but I had the time today and I know we are all busy. If this system fails I will for sure be hitting you up.

A while back I scored a FREE SMAW welder. I know it was free because it was SMAW, but what the heck. You have to start somewhere!

I didn't want the system Hoovail posted becasue I wanted to use my new Trasharoo. My toddler is not potty trained, so carrying poopy diapers and the what not in a trash bag inside the Jeep till the next USFS dumpster is not an option (see earlier posts about the ripped bad in Moab).

The Trasharoo will hold a trash bag and more. It's made of heavy canvass and buckles to the spare tire.

The Garvin carrier has plenty of tabs and mounts for the above mentioned gear.

So I bought some steel angles down at the hardware store and came up with the fugly. I am sort of handy with a grinder so the cutting was not hard. I have only welded once before for about a 5 second span. Today was the day to learn. In fact, I hadn't actually struck an arc with the welder since my buddy installed my 220 line in the garage.

Some of the welds are ugly as all get out, but by the end I think I started to figure out what I was doing. I would love some tips from you guys in the future!

The beast is ugly, but it is my beast... I made it, even if ends up as scrap, you have to start somewere!

So, here is the rack I built...

I bought some class 8.8 10mm bolts hold this baby on (not pictured).

I seems durable enough to hold a cooler. It majically fits my largest cooler... I spent some time with a flapper wheel cleaning it up but it started to rain so I was done for the day. Maybe paint next week.

What do you think guys? Will it hold a cooler? Needed supports?

I still think I might use this as an excuse to get a Rampage top anyways. Don't tell my wife...
Unread 08-06-2012, 04:26 PM   #183
tdij
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Those welds look a lot like my welds lately! I've learned to TIG and arc weld this summer now that I don't have access to a MIG... learning to weld is entertaining!

I like it... hard to tell about the strength of it from the pics. I would think you would want to tie it into more than just those two tabs, but maybe not?

Either way... props to you for doing it... once you get the welding down... building your own stuff becomes really cool.

Run it... we can always strap it down if it fails. Then you'll have a good idea of how to improve it!

Secret's safe with me... after all... it is for your families comfort!
Unread 08-06-2012, 04:57 PM   #184
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I am concerned about the two tabs as well. The angles have one of their side facing forward so the rack would lean on that side under load. I am not sure where else to tie them in. The Garvin system has arms that reach down to the lower portion of the bumper, but I don't see any holes. Nor can I find any good pics.

I will see what I can do. It only needs to survive this trip! I can continue to to learn to fab as time goes on...
Unread 08-06-2012, 05:06 PM   #185
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, I still have one flat piece of steel left. I could bolt that to the piece of angle I welded to the passenger side to brace the rack and then drill a hole near the bottom of the carrier to get a nice long angle. I am no math whizz. Would that help the stress of the load?
Unread 08-06-2012, 05:15 PM   #186
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Oh yeah, total investment so far....$40.00
Unread 08-06-2012, 07:59 PM   #187
hoovail
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Your first welds EVER...you should be stoked, looks great! As Drew mentioned, if it fails, strap it and learn from it!

As far as the Rampage top, when its being used as a Safari, it ties into the surrounds just like the factory top above the door. You can run without it attached. It would flop a bit, just like it would with the factory top. In other words, the surrounds are not necessarily needed.

Real Jeeps are built, not "bolt-on"!
hoovail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2012, 08:00 PM   #188
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I ordered it several hours ago...sweet
Unread 08-06-2012, 11:07 PM   #189
tdij
1993 YJ Wrangler 

One more person to be jealous of... I want to get it an make it fit my YJ... cause it is hands down a far better product than the best bowless tops out there for the YJ.
Unread 08-07-2012, 07:29 PM   #190
hoovail
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin72 View Post
I ordered it several hours ago...sweet
Good choice, your gonna love it!

Unread 08-13-2012, 01:22 PM   #191
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Rampage Frameless Soft Top

Easy to install. Heavy zippers. Huge windows. Dark tint. Gear pockets. Overall, I am impressed.

The only existing part I had to change was the location of my rear spreader bar. The buckles for the rear window were right where I had the spreader. It worked, but I didn't like how taught the top was on top of the bar and buckles. It moved the bar forward about a centimeter and all was well.

Gear Pocket

Unread 08-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #192
hoovail
2001 TJ Wrangler 

That rear spreader may come in useful down the road if the top starts to sag!

Unread 08-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #193
tdij
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Very nice. Does it look like it will work with the rack?
Unread 08-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #194
AngryTJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin72 View Post
I had to change was the location of my rear spreader bar.
Do you have a pic from the inside?

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f345/jf-trip-2-0-a-2608114/"][SIZE="3"][B]
2015 Colorado Trip[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2012, 03:01 PM   #195
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yes it should work with the rack fine. Since there is no B bow the rack will sit high enough. Since there are no forward bows the front clamp will work as well. Now I haven't lifted it up there yet...

I won't need it on this trip since I have the fugly. It looks like all the gear will fit without it.

A couple of years ago we had to take two cars to Moab to camp for a week. I don't think we will for next family run.

The rear spreader absolutely is keeping the top tight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.