Jeepin72's Build Thread - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Jeepin72's Build Thread

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-14-2012, 08:46 PM   #151
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Great point about the RPM's. All the research I've done indicates the 2005 (and many more) have a rev limiter. Although the actual RPM number where the rev limiter kicks in is not clear on JF, Colorado4x4.org, or Google. It seems to be a best guess of 5500. Based on the interweb!

At least it seems that it will kick in.

That being said. I think that is what I will shoot for as a possible max in my set up. Now I just have to get under the hood tomorrow and figure out how to do that.

Unread 06-15-2012, 07:58 PM   #152
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Teraflex Hand Throttle

Today I installed my Terafelx hand throttle. You can piece this together yourself. I bought my kit for $36.00. You decide if its worth it for yourself.

Its basic components are a bike shifter, cable, a bracket, and a clamp. Pretty simple. I took shots of the part Teraflex sent so if you want to build your own you can see what they send. Truth be told, I had extra parts, I am guessing they may have been needed if I had cruise control

Cable and Housing

Shifter

Parts

In Cab

It works well thumb actuated. I originally set it up to be index finger actuated but the lever was hitting my heater controls.

Throttle

Cable routing

I ran the cable through a hole in the tunnel I already had for the Ox cable. It was in the tunnel just below the firewall. It worked well and did not kink the cable and gave me a direct route to the throttle with gradual bends.

Works so far on pavement test
Unread 06-16-2012, 05:31 PM   #153
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

So I had this drive line vibe develop. On the way back from our last Moab run I thought the jeep was vibrating strangely. I passed it off as my OCD. It got worse over the next weeks. I rotated the tires and thought it got better. It didn't.

Turns out that the bolts joining the output flange of the TC and the DS face worked loose! Some had a huge gap. Torqued them back down with some blue Loctite and all is well.
Unread 06-16-2012, 06:56 PM   #154
tdij
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Nice to see the hand throttle installed... You will like having that.

Went to choke cherry today with a bunch if landcruisers. Didn't take my jeep... Rode in a '69 fj40 instead. It was pretty sweet out there. You guys will have to come down and check it out at some point!
Unread 06-16-2012, 08:03 PM   #155
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdij View Post
Nice to see the hand throttle installed... You will like having that.

Went to choke cherry today with a bunch if landcruisers. Didn't take my jeep... Rode in a '69 fj40 instead. It was pretty sweet out there. You guys will have to come down and check it out at some point!
I am all for that! Choke Cherry was featured on on a tv spot I saw a while back. It's been on the bucket list since.
Unread 06-16-2012, 08:22 PM   #156
tdij
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You were right... You called it. I hadn't ever heard about it until you mentioned it.
Unread 06-18-2012, 06:32 PM   #157
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You were right... You called it. I hadn't ever heard about it until you mentioned it.
From what I saw Choke Cherry sounded cool. A unique place!

This weekend I tried out my new hand throttle on Holy Cross. It was a new thing to say the least. I found myself wanting to hit the skinny peddle when I didn't need to. I used it well on some of the smaller features, but I didn't want to give up control on the bigger features.

I found it useful to kick up my RPM's to 1500 to prevent stalls and still work the skinny peddle. I think I will like it, practice is needed.
Unread 06-29-2012, 08:16 PM   #158
tdij
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yes... it does take a little getting used to.

We are starting to try and plan the San Juan Trip a little. I'm sure you have looked at the region... anything in particular you want see or do? Black Bear is the only 100% for sure thing at this point... always has to be.

Let me know!
Unread 06-29-2012, 09:55 PM   #159
spookylynx
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Yes... it does take a little getting used to.

We are starting to try and plan the San Juan Trip a little. I'm sure you have looked at the region... anything in particular you want see or do? Black Bear is the only 100% for sure thing at this point... always has to be.

Let me know!
What do you think about starting out of Aspen and going up over Pearl Pass toward CB. Then see if there is a good road from CB toward Montrose and start that way?
spookylynx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2012, 10:28 PM   #160
tdij
1993 YJ Wrangler 

We thought about that last year actually. If I recall correctly there really isn't any good backroads between CB and the San Juans... so it really breaks up the trip. Our usual trip is only a few miles of pavement in or out of the towns down here. I'll take a look at the maps... if you have a good suggestion as to how to integrate the two let me know... Pearl Pass is on my list!
Unread 07-28-2012, 04:44 PM   #161
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

TnT Customs - YJ Style Bezel

From the day I finally was able to fill my tank with the system I rigged I was not happy. I did not like using the drain tube one bit, but it worked. I worried about the tube degrading after exposure to fuel over time and ending up with plastic bits in tank, lines, etc... What a nightmare that would be.

I have heard of people using PVC tube, but I couldn't find any around here. So I decided to go with copper. I got a stick of 3/4" copper tube, a couple of elbows, some flux, and some solder and went to town. Once I got the hang of soldering copper tube, I was rolling.

Here is what I came up with to replace the drain hose:

I ended up using to 45 degree elbows. They fit well with the tank and the bezel.

Installed:

Now I am not worried...
Unread 07-28-2012, 04:53 PM   #162
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Trasharoo

In preparation for an upcoming camping and wheeling adventure to southwest Colorado I figured I needed to do something about trash hauling. I will be traveling with the family, to include a kiddo still in diapers. I really can't fit a trash sack in the Jeep and really don't want to, diapers and all...

Several years ago I learned the hard way that Hefty yard bags will not make it down the trail to the next Forest Service dumpster. A bag tore and spilled trash all over Kane Creek Road in Moab. That was FUN to pick up...

So, I got the Trasharoo. I can put my trash bag inside it and it will support the bag on the rear tire carrier.

Unread 07-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #163
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Kargo Master Sport Bar Safari Rack

As I said above we have an upcoming camping and wheeling adventure. With the family in the rig there is just not much room to fit camping gear, food, beer, etc...

It has to go up top. Yes, I could get the rack system that goes with my Garvin tire carrier, but I don't want to. I see myself trashing that thing and going toward a GenRight or Poison Spyder carrier in the future as the meats get bigger.

I DO NOT want a roof rack that ties into the corners and windshield etc... That is retarded. Sorry if you have one, just not my style.

This Kargo Master system will bolt via brackets onto the sport bar. It should, and intitial mock looks like it will, allow me to keep my top on and have the roof rack. The system is supposed to work with bikini and safari tops. I am going to keep my top on and just loose the door surrounds.

I won't be completely water tight, but it will be good enough to travel 6-8 hours away in the Colorado Rockies and not freeze to death

The rack assembled

More to come, had to quit for the day...
Unread 07-28-2012, 06:12 PM   #164
tdij
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sweet... so you are coming for sure? Bringing the family at that! Can't wait!

Nice improvements. I feel your pain with the rack issue. I refuse to put one of those full overhead racks on my Jeep... but would sometimes like to have the cargo area.

Two years ago on this same trip I brought two passengers and gear. I rigged up some Thule bars off my tire carrier and loaded it up heavy. Having all that weight hanging off the back wasn't exactly ideal either. (especially once i blew the rear shaft and only had FWD)

Only one passenger in my Jeep on the multi-day trips from then on.

I wish there was a good temporary option that I could run overhead for periodic trips... I'll be curious to see how well this works for you.
Unread 07-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #165
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

We are in for sure! I did a lot of searching and I think this may be the solution. It won't be super weather proof but should be really good. I should be able to put on all rear windows and just have some gaps where the door surrounds were. More to come... Maybe tomorrow when I get home I can actually get it on the roof. When I held up the clamps today it looked like it will work...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.