JeepDVL45's 'Bruiser' Build -- A Daily Driver's slow build - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > JeepDVL45's 'Bruiser' Build -- A Daily Driver's slow build

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 11-29-2010, 11:09 AM   #16
JeepDVL45

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Compulsive buy......this is why jeepforum, boredom, and about $200 is a 'bad' idea....

The BL and MML should be going in before Christmas...I'm going to try to get it done with my next paycheck. The bed liner will have to wait till the spring. I might buy a second gallon and use that for my rockers, corners, bumper etc.

"Real men hide their feelings, WHY?!
BECAUSE IT’S NONE OF YOUR ****** BUSINESS!!!!
Men do not cry. Men do not pout. Men jack you in the ******* jaw and say…thanks for comin’ out." - Boondock Saints II
JeepDVL45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2010, 11:14 AM   #17
JeepDVL45

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Then I found a deal I couldn't pass up from another Jeepforum member.

This will have to wait a bit. I ordered a set of 3" Teraflex springs for the front end of my jeep. I'm hoping they will get the front end up enough to get rid of the rake when I install the winch.

On a side note, I think I want to go with a synthetic line, so if anyone wants the steel line and rollers they're up for sale. They've never been used, or even installed, I bought the winch new in package and only took it out of the box to check to see that everything was there....

And for Christmas this year....I'm either getting:
Hyline hood lourvers and a anti-rock sway bar, or a RockHard bolt in cage (the front for now...but I'll get the full cage eventually)

Any input?

Men do not cry. Men do not pout. Men jack you in the ******* jaw and say…thanks for comin’ out." - Boondock Saints II
Unread 12-06-2010, 01:25 PM   #18
JeepDVL45

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Brown Santa came two days ago...he brought me two 3" tera-flex front springs AND new front coil spring isolators....

Unread 01-05-2011, 11:07 AM   #19
JeepDVL45

2003 TJ Wrangler 

No updated pics yet. Still waiting for the BL and MML to go in.....

On the bright side, I got the RockHard cage for Christmas/my birthday from my parents, and I'm hoping for the rest of the cage for my birthday (couple weeks)

I'm going to the store tomorrow to pick up a few cans of Rustoleum Hammered Black paint for it. Hopefully I'll get a couple warmer days so I can start prepping it and paint it up to get it installed.

I'll probably re-do my bumper, rockers, corners in this, and maybe my stock roll cage (and hardtop...if it'll stick) too. I really like the look.

If anyone is actually following this.....how many cans? I was thinking 4 for the entire cage and another 4 for the rocker, corners and bumper. There is already a few good coat of flat black on everything, so I just need 2 coats...or should I re-sand everything and start from scratch?

Its called the "bruiser build" for a reason......Black and Blue

Unread 01-05-2011, 12:22 PM   #20
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

For the paint, I would do a light sand mainly to level any imperfections and clean the surface. Your flat black is basically your primer, but I would do at least 2 coats, if not 3. For as much as you are painting, I'd just buy a case (12) and maybe have some left-overs for touch-ups.

(If you are not already using one) I find that that cheapo handle/trigger attachment for spray cans comes in very good use for keeping an even, steady flow of paint. The trigger is a much more comfortable and natural setup.

Have you priced powdercoating in your area?
TXST8tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2011, 12:29 PM   #21
JeepDVL45

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Haven't priced out powdercoating....not a real big fan of it (I know its VERY practical) but I'm not a fan of the glossy look, unless it is textured....I suppose I could powder-coat and then paint over it.
I was hoping someone would say that the flat black would act as my primer.....that makes my life A LOT easier.

Thanks for the advise

Unread 01-18-2011, 07:16 AM   #22
Bonelaw
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Glad I found this. I always like finding other patriot blue jeeps to get an idea of how different stuff will look. Looks great so far! Can't wait to see the new additions.
Bonelaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2011, 06:48 PM   #23
JeepDVL45

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Hit some major financial problems and I have to dump the winch and body lift, they're for sale in classifieds if anyone is interested. I'll be buying some again once I get my bills squared away

Unread 01-31-2011, 07:19 AM   #24
ibjeepin95
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Nice Jeep man! I would just paint over the flat black, as long as there is no rust. Your Jeep is beastly looking with all the armor. How much ya want for the BL/MML??? I need one...
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2011, 08:04 AM   #25
JeepDVL45

2003 TJ Wrangler 

So, the winch is gone , but on the bright side ALL my bills are paid so I can start saving for parts again.
I did order a new set of tires.......TreadWright 31x10.5R15 Guard Dogs, they back ordered right now, so I should have them in a couple weeks. I'll post pics of them when I get them installed

Unread 02-06-2011, 06:26 PM   #26
WildChild46
1979 CJ7 

if you have not painted any thing yet, they do have a satin black powder coat that will look amazing on all those pieces. Also it will hold up to a lot of abuse. Looks really good though. Love the black and blue look..
WildChild46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2011, 11:40 AM   #27
JeepDVL45

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Cracked open my Christmas present form the parents....its been sitting in the basement for the past couple months. The weather finally got nice, I got a week off work...and then the weather went to **** again, so I couldn't get any prepping/painting done on it. Hopefully I can knock out a couple coats of paint this coming week when it warms up. (Unfortunatley I can't afford to powder coat everything right now...so hammered black is gonna have to cut it for now)

Just a couple teaser pics
cage.jpg   cage-pillar.jpg  

Unread 03-23-2011, 03:09 PM   #28
Temple
2007 JK Wrangler 

nice build
Temple is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2011, 10:02 PM   #29
qwicklt1ws6

awesomeee
qwicklt1ws6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2011, 10:03 PM   #30
qwicklt1ws6

nice build
qwicklt1ws6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.