Jeep01AH's Black 4.7 Build Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Jeep01AH's Black 4.7 Build Thread

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 10-08-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
Jeep01AH
2001 WJ 

Jeep01AH's Black 4.7 Build Thread

Current:

Specs:
2001 Grand Cherokee Laredo
4.7L V8
Dana 30 & Dana 44a axles
188,XXX miles

Mods:
Thrush Turbo Muffler
TCM Snip Mod
Front Bumper Trim
Stillen Pads and Rotor Upgrade
Uniden CB w/ 4' Firestik Antenna
IRO 4" Lift
IRO Adj Control Arms - Front
Procomp 9000 Shocks
Moog Super Trail Boss SS
Pioneer Head Unit
Moog HD Tie Rod and Drag Link + Greaseable Ends
LED Dash Backlighting
JKS Quicker Discos
33x12.5x15 Maxxis Bighorn
15x10 Steelies
Fire Extinguisher

Upcoming:
Lots of Maintenance!
IRO Rear Adjustable Lower Control Arms
BTF Differential Covers
Endless Mountain Fab A-arm
Quadratokn Truss and Differential Skid
Custom Climate Control Lighting
Spartan Rear Locker
Custom Trunk Organizer w/ Full Size Spare Storage
1" Rear Pucks
Tank Tuck

Since I finally ordered my lift not too long ago, I thought I should probably start my build thread. I don't care so much if it gets any attention. This is mostly for me to remember everything that I do and the journey that this rig will take me on.

Background:
I received this Jeep from my dad when I was 15 and he bought a new Chevy Equinox. He isn't a car guy, so he only did ordinary maintenance that he knew about (i.e. engine oil, coolant, brake fluid) but neglected the differentials, transfer case, power steering fluid. After receiving the Jeep, I didn't know much more than him. I decided, like any good new car buyer, to replace all of the fluids. While doing this, I also did some small mods to make it my own. Most were simply cosmetic changes. I am now a freshman at Loras College in Dubuque, Iowa. The Jeep, I call him Leeroy, is back at home just waiting for me. A few weeks ago, I orders a full 4" lift with adjustable control arms from Kolak and all of has showed up except for the lift itself. Because the Jeep isn't here with me at the moment, there probably won't be much going on here for a while.

What to expect:
I want my Jeep to become a great overall offorader. I don't want a trailer queen because I love to drive it every day. Basically, I'm looking for a pretty aggressive expedition rig.

Recently:
I took Leeroy to the Badlands in Attica, Indiana over the summer with my friend and his ZJ. Here are some pics to hopefully tide you guys over until I get to work it. (probably not until Christmas Break)

Well my pictures aren't working so I'll try to get them up ASAP...

Unread 10-08-2013, 11:45 AM   #2
Rough Country
Vendor
2002 WJ 

I have a WJ myself so I will be looking forward to this build!
Rough Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #3
Jeep01AH
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Country View Post
I have a WJ myself so I will be looking forward to this build!
Thanks! I've been looking forward to having my own build thread for a while!

Pics as promised!

Unread 10-08-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
Jeep01AH
2001 WJ 

And a few more..

And yes, I know my hood is open.
Unread 10-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #5
Jeep01AH
2001 WJ 

When I was home last weekend, I got some shots of the pieces of my lift that have come in..

image-2329107555.jpg

Moog Super Trail Boss SS

image-2961269920.jpg

ProComp 9000 Shocks

I also have crowne coil isolators and an a arm spacer but those aren't very exciting.
Unread 11-14-2013, 09:20 AM   #6
Jeep01AH
2001 WJ 

A short update, all of the parts have been at my house for a little bit less than a month. I will be putting the lift on during Thanksgiving break. I also got a job at a ski hill just outside Dubuque here, so I will be bringing Leeroy back with me after Thanksgiving break! Hopefully I can find somewhere and some places to wheel out here. Let the countdown till the lift begin.. 15 days!
Unread 12-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #7
Jeep01AH
2001 WJ 

Leeroy is finally lifted! With the help of 949702jeeps (Chris) and our friend Brandon, we were able to put the lift on in 2 days with a little over 20 hours of work in Chris's garage. These last three days have been anything but uneventful with Leeroy.

Friday morning we started to tear into him. We started with the front and had little problems replacing the control arms. We had already broken many of the bolts loose earlier in the week. Old vs. New..
[IMG][/IMG]
I'm not exactly sure what he was doing, but no more than an hour into the take down, Chris had already put us down one pair of channel locks.
[IMG][/IMG]
All went well until...
[IMG][/IMG]
Chris broke the lower shock bolt. Not a big deal though. One trip to Ace and we had all new hardware front the lower shocks. They definitely needed some new bolts anyway. Here is a picture of the new shocks with the old. I think those are original..
[IMG][/IMG]
The springs were a bit of hassle to get in, even with the spring compressor. Old vs. New again..
[IMG][/IMG]

We got almost the entire front end put back together when I needed to go to the hospital for stomach issues. Chris and Brandon drove me over and left when my parents arrived to button up the front end and call it a night.

The next morning, Chris and Brandon started bright and early. I didn't get back from the ER until 4am, so I slept in a bit. When I showed up at about 11, the two of them were struggling to break the final bolt loose on the a-arm. With some questionable methods and a lot of pushing and pulling, the final bolt broke loose. Ready to put the spacer in, we realized that the spacer had not come with any new bolts. Another run to Ace Hardware and one pizza later and the spacer was bolted down and ready to go. The shocks and springs went on well and I tightened everything to spec.

With all fours back on the ground, we tightened up the control arms. How does my wheel positioning look compared to the wheel well?
[IMG][/IMG]
Lastly, I went to adjust the drag link to center my steering wheel when..
[IMG][/IMG]
I broke the last bolt on the entire Jeep that I needed to loosen. After some prying, Chris was able to pull it out and we replaced it. We still weren't able to turn that drag link to adjust it though! Aaaaand, the final touch!
[IMG][/IMG]

With everything done, it was time for a drive and a photo shoot.

The ZJ belongs to Chris.
[IMG][/IMG]

Unread 12-02-2013, 12:30 PM   #8
Jeep01AH
2001 WJ 

Sunday was the day of hell for Leeroy. With 150+ miles back to Dubuque, a lot could go wrong. I got him aligned in the morning, and the problems started right away. My tie rod is frozen on, so only my steering wheel could be centered. My toe couldn't be adjusted at all. Not too big of a deal though. With Christmas and my birthday coming up in the next two months, maybe Leeroy will get the IRO OTK tie rod. The ride back started at 3:30. All was well. I was able to drive at 75 mph with no death wobble until I hit just the right bump in the road. MAJOR DEATH WOBBLE. I slowed do to 35 mph and it finally stopped. After that I was careful to watch my speed and look out for large bumps. About an hour away from Dubuque, we stopped at a Subway. Pulling in the parking lot at a very normal speed (maybe 10-15 mph) I hear a loud clunk come from the front drivers side. I parked it, and got out to check out the damage.

[IMG][/IMG]

Which led to..

[IMG][/IMG]

The nut stripped off the top of the shock bolt. When the shock came into the wheel well, it bent. So, I took it off and drove the final 50 miles without a front driver side shock.
Unread 12-03-2013, 05:20 PM   #9
Jeep01AH
2001 WJ 

Over the next couple of days, the plan is to retorque almost every bolt and nut we installed. I ordered a new shock last night and that should be shipped soon. The biggest problem I have right now is that I forgot my deep sockets at home! Looks like I'll be picking up another set at the hardware store tomorrow. Why do I keep feeling my wallet get lighter and lighter every time I pick it up? It's a good thing work starts Friday!
Unread 12-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #10
Jeep01AH
2001 WJ 

I was able to get outside and retorque all of the control arms, track bar, and the shock bolts. The control arms really needed it. No wonder I had so many clunks! It was cold and raining the entire 2 hours, but it was really worth it. Leeroy rides a lot better now. I'm just waiting on that front shock to come in now.
Unread 12-05-2013, 10:04 PM   #11
Jeep01AH
2001 WJ 

Today I received my front shock that needed replacing. Ordered it from Kolak on Sunday night and it showed up this morning. Talk about quick service! Anyway, I drove Leeroy down to Ace to pick up some new hardware and installed the shock in their parking lot. It rides much better now! Hopefully all of my bolts stay tight on the ride back to Chicago next week. I really don't want a repeat of Sunday.

On another note, Chris and I are planning a trip down to the Cliffs and we now have a group of at least 5 Jeeps heading down on the 22nd. Let me know if anyone would like to join! All of the Jeeps are moderately modified with the exception of one heavily built TJ. Mine is probably the least modified of the group because of the lack of tires.
Unread 12-08-2013, 01:22 PM   #12
Jeep01AH
2001 WJ 

I just bought my Christmas gift to myself! I was able to pick up some used JKS Discos and they'll be in the mail on Tuesday. Thanks 88yjproject! I'm really looking forward to putting these on Leeroy! Hopefully I can get them installed before our wheeling trip. We moved it to December 14th if anyone is interested!
Unread 12-08-2013, 10:24 PM   #13
Jeep01AH
2001 WJ 

I haven't had a pic in a few days, so I thought I would throw up this one I took tonight.

image-3239168063.jpg

We got about 3" here in Dubuque, and we're expecting another 1-2 throughout the night. I wish I didn't have finals this week so I could take old Leeroy out to play in this!
Unread 12-13-2013, 07:31 PM   #14
Jeep01AH
2001 WJ 

Today I drove back from Dubuque and on the way back I got death wobble over 60mph several times. I believe my tie rod ends are worn as I can rotate the tie rod almost a quarter turn. I'm pretty sure I will be getting the IRO OTK tie rod with heim joints. I'm hoping this will fix my DW. Another problem I've been having is no pressure behind my brake pedal when starting my car in the morning. With how cold its been, I didn't think much of it, but I lost pressure coming to a stop light at about 50 mph. This is the first time I've ever lost pressure when driving. I've read a little bit on the forum and from what I've read I'm thinking its the master cylinder. How does this sound to everyone? I'm not losing any fluid and pressure returns after I pump the brakes for a minute. Also, Chris ripped a whole in his tire today so I'm thinking the trip is a no go tomorrow. Friday the 13th really took a toll on these Jeeps this year.
Unread 12-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #15
Jeep01AH
2001 WJ 

I took Leeroy to my guy that has worked on our cars for years to do the master cylinder. I just don't have the time or the will to do it all right now. While hes working on it, I'm also having him replace the rear pads, rotors, and calipers while its in. Also, after talking to Kolak, I'll be ordering a Moog HD tie rod/drag link and HD tie rod ends. Its been an expensive day, but hopefully this will keep Leeroy in top shape while I continue to build him up!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.