Jeep XJ home Bumper and roof rack build! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Jeep XJ home Bumper and roof rack build!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 11-27-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
JeepXJ20
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Jeep XJ home Bumper and roof rack build!

Well this is from my first jeep build with accessories, me, my father and a buddy built a front bumper and roof cage to fit a jeep cherokee, and damn, i think they look good myself, just showing these pictures to give people easy ideas on how to make their own bumpers and what not instead of spending alot of money when they dont have too! this is one of my first posting pictures thread so please correct me if i dont upload pictures correctly. i will start with the bumper first. this is also mentioned in the fabrication shop.

Here is what i started with.

then i took measurements off of a friends bumper with a winch spot ( cannot really remember deminsions, will post when i find out )
i used 3/16 C channell which i cut triangles where i intended for the channel to bend, i used a bench vice to bend it into shape.

then i measured my mounting areas and tack welded them on untill i got them mounted flush. i used 1/8 plate with the stock mounting holes. (its strong enough, with the abuse i put the bumper through so far)
here it is fitted with the top plates also welded into place.

then i needed a light bar/ push bar put into place so i took a old piece of my friends bumper and welded this into place but ended up taking it out and doing it again with fresh pipe becuase it didnt line up properly and it bugged me. also with shackle mounts put in place made of 1/2 inch flat bar welded inside and out.

me welding in the side pieces of my bumper, had to get cumfy!

primed

painted and installed

thanks for viewing ! i will post the roof rack later on.

JeepXJ20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
Flowpro
2000 XJ Cherokee 

That looks like one heavy duty bumper. Nice job.

Any pics of said roof rack?

1980 Mustang Cobra (summer time fun)
Flowpro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2012, 08:40 PM   #3
JeepXJ20
1999 XJ Cherokee 

ah ha. i shall upload them now
Unread 12-16-2012, 08:49 PM   #4
JeepXJ20
1999 XJ Cherokee 

and here it is for the roof rack. and as well i cant really remeber the deminsions. something like 45X42 inches. its basically made out of old bed frame and steel mesh. so basically what we did was make the square out of the bedframe. tack welded and 90 degreed it with a hammer then welded solid. did that all around at the joins and for the little posts and as well for the top. also welded in the little flat bar for extra support ( came in handy today as i was standing on my jeep to do something lol) then we laid the stretched steel over and tried yes, tried to weld in becuase we didnt have a mig welder at the time, so we dragged the bead over the mesh hoping it wouldnt melt thru, and it worked in some cases.

here it is painted and almost ready

and here it is with the lights installed ( we welded little tabs on the front)

me and my buddy couldnt figure out an idea to attach it to the roof so my father (genious) came up with the idea to rivet it onto the stock rails with little littles of angorline. and it didnt budge after. its sturdy as a church.

Not bad for two guys in a garage every scattard night. comes in handy! the day after we installed it my exhuast fell off and i thru it right up there to take it off, broke right off after the cat converter.
Unread 12-16-2012, 09:28 PM   #5
Flowpro
2000 XJ Cherokee 

What did you use to fasten it to the roof bars? Not sure what you mean by...."rivet it onto the stock rails with little littles of angorline"?

1980 Mustang Cobra (summer time fun)
Flowpro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.