Jeep Trick build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Jeep Trick build

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-17-2012, 06:03 PM   #1
scottyperry
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep Trick build

I've started and deleted several threads but I think it's time to start fresh now that I'm learning more and more about this other world that is jeeps. I've got in mind what I want to do, how I want it to perform and most importantly to me, how I want it look.

It all started with a big career move and a desire to finally own my dream car, a BMW M3. That's right. not a jeep at all. Ive wanted a jeep since I was young but I grew up around ricers, the M3 was so close to being my DD but something happened, indecisiveness. Nothing new for me but I wondered, what else is out there? An M3 is not practical for a family of 4 so if I was going to go that route then why not look at other avenues. blah blah blah.... my wife intervenes....'I wish you would make up your damn mind, I thought you would have gotten a jeep or defender or something that gets your jollies off.' She was right.

After a month of looking and test driving enters Jeep Trick. A 2006 Rubicon. Not the color I wanted but I was desperate and couldn't beat the previously racked mileage. Red ain't so bad.

Time for some boring photos.

Here it is, at the dealership, bone stock.

image-4099464553.jpg

Got it home. Looks exactly the same. Parked in the grass because it makes my pants tighter.

image-3684633121.jpg

First 'mod'. blacked out headlight thingies.

image-3102644139.jpg

Anyway. Onward.

What do I want out of my jeep?
An intimate relationship.
But srsly.
Road worthiness, it's my DD after all. I want a better than stock ride. It also needs to be capable offroad. I have no desire to crawl a nearly vertical wall but I'd like for it to be a capable trail machine taking in rocks, hills and streams. etcetcetc.

From here on will be a checklist of things I want to do, what I have done, etc etc etc.

First off
Suspension: This is where I think I'm going with it.

Rock Crawler 3.5 Short Arm Flex (me thinks)
Bilstein 5100 Shocks.
Johnny Joints control arms
Tom Wood drive shaft and AA SYE.
Some other cool stuff I don't even know about yet.

Body ish:
Front bumper? no idea, ive been back and forth between a ridiculous stinger I'll never use to a plain warn.
Rear bumper? same as above. no idea. I played with the idea of getting a tire swing but I love the basic and clean look of a naked rear end. May just take off the full size spare and look into throwing it on a roof rack on the future.

This will probably take a while so stay with me.

image-972116862.jpg  

Last edited by scottyperry; 07-17-2012 at 09:35 PM.. Reason: spelling. ocd.
scottyperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
scottyperry
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I was wanting to order some rocker guards but my wife convinced me to get something that acts more like a step for her shortass self. Ended up getting some smittybilt src side armor. they'll do the trick for now and was easy to install. seems
pretty solid and provides some under armor, at least that's how it's marketed. I like em alright but it makes it look like the jeep is sitting closer to the ground. a no'no in my book.

image-3242267465.jpg
image-4148597862.jpg

already time for the lift?

also bought up home depots supply of plastidip. I plan on using it on my wheels until i can run some bead locks. got bored and blacked out the trail rated badge.

image-3368106730.jpg
image-1711210273.jpg
image-3339688868.jpg

10 minutes of 'labor' and a diet dr pepper later.
Unread 07-19-2012, 12:08 PM   #3
scottyperry
2006 TJ Wrangler 

went ahead and started plastidip ping the cowl but had to stop before I could finish. hasn't rained in weeks then it's all frkn hell.

image-491613523.jpg
Unread 07-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #4
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyperry View Post
went ahead and started plastidip ping the cowl but had to stop before I could finish. hasn't rained in weeks then it's all frkn hell.

Attachment 436101
Why would you do that?
Unread 07-19-2012, 02:29 PM   #5
scottyperry
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt.Fuzz

Why would you do that?
why wouldn't I?
Unread 07-19-2012, 02:32 PM   #6
HeliDriverEC30
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Just did mine...and the grill...and the stainless hinges.
img_2043.jpg
HeliDriverEC30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #7
scottyperry
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliDriverEC30
looks good. also, your garage is too clean. I've went back and forth on doing the grill. I think I'm leaving it alone.
Unread 07-19-2012, 03:10 PM   #8
HeliDriverEC30
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'm thinking about going back to red on the cowl but I'm definitely liking the hinges and I'm pretty sure I'll keep the grill black. As for the clean garage, I just epoxied the floor and haven't gotten around to messing it up yet
Unread 07-19-2012, 04:56 PM   #9
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
why wouldn't I?
You really want me to answer that?
Unread 07-19-2012, 04:58 PM   #10
scottyperry
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt.Fuzz

You really want me to answer that?
yea, why not?
Unread 07-19-2012, 05:06 PM   #11
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
yea, why not?
Alrighty then, I originally asked what i thought what was a legitimate question and you tried to get all Confucious with it and answer a question with a question. If you're covering up damage that's one thing but it seems like you're doing this "mod" just to be doing something to your rig. If you want to sauce up your rig with useless trinkets then just flip open a Qtec catalog and have at it. You have a very clean platform to build off of and that **** cheapens it.
Unread 07-19-2012, 05:53 PM   #12
Marconis
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt.Fuzz View Post
Alrighty then, I originally asked what i thought what was a legitimate question and you tried to get all Confucious with it and answer a question with a question. If you're covering up damage that's one thing but it seems like you're doing this "mod" just to be doing something to your rig. If you want to sauce up your rig with useless trinkets then just flip open a Qtec catalog and have at it. You have a very clean platform to build off of and that **** cheapens it.
Why can't he do what he wants to his own Jeep? Come on, man.
Marconis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 05:59 PM   #13
Dogbones
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliDriverEC30 View Post
Attachment 436182

how did you prep the grill for the plasti-dip?
Dogbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 06:09 PM   #14
CDW_327
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt.Fuzz View Post
Agreed, that is a very nice rig, but that black **** looks bad, it is your jeep though so do what makes you happy
Unread 07-19-2012, 07:08 PM   #15
HeliDriverEC30
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbones View Post
how did you prep the grill for the plasti-dip?
Just washed it and removed the headlight bezels. I didn't want to scuff it up because I wanted the option of peeling it off if I didn't like it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.