A Jeep with No Name - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 10-14-2015, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Anschutz
2012 JK Wrangler 

A Jeep with No Name

Hey JF,

I'm finally to a point where I have a little money but no time (where before I had all the time and no money) to get my Jeep where I would like it to be. It's going to be slow as I work from 530 to 6-8ish most days and sometimes go long periods without getting the daylight to wrench or go to the store. I don't really have a name for my Jeep but I'll go ahead and get started.

From Dealer (No Pics)
2004 TJ X
31 December 2004 w/ 9kish miles (83k Now)
Fabtech 2.5" Spacer Lift Kit
32x11.50R15 Tires
Stock Everything Else

I was 12 when my parents bought this Jeep and the first thing we did after a New Years Party was me, my dad, and my brother went out and got it dirty. I was 12 and have no pics of it from the dealer. My dad wanted to use the jeep to pull a little trailer and fourwheeler so he welded up a square tube rear bumper with hitch receiver.

When I was 17 I wrecked the Jeep in a blind curve early one morning. There was an F150 blacked out parked in the lane of traffic (Still to this day park like that instead of in the grass or on the side street). My dad thought this would be a good opportunity for me to learn about the Jeep so I replaced the front D30 with one I found on CL, he fabbed a front bumper with winch plate, we put a new fender on, and he showed me how to change a ring and pinion. From the insurance money we still had some change jingling around so for my birthday the insurance company got me a winch and four new shocks. That is pretty much how it sits now minus my dad taking the winch because I took it off to save some gas mileage.

What's Wrong with It? (It's a Jeep, always something)
-Shock mounting nut came unwelded from frame (I've done a few things that fix it until time for new shocks)
-Steering Gear Box is very loose
-Minor Leaks
-Front Tires are Shot
-Top has fallen apart.
-Only 3 speakers work
-What's a sway bar?

What I'd Like to Do
-Flat Fenders
-Remove Rear Flares
-New Winch
-Remove Spacer lift and add 3" Lift w/ 1" Body Lift (Zone?)
-Replace D35 with D44 (Long Term)
-Lock both ends (Ox)
-33s

I'll be doing this in stages but priorities are:
Tires
BL
Fenders
Winch
Lift
Lock Front
D44
Lock Rear

Hope I don't bore any of you with my slow progress.

2004 Jeep TJ X: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/jeep-no-name-3452994/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-14-2015, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Anschutz
2012 JK Wrangler 

Here's a pic from a few weeks ago. Wheeling in Pikes Peak forest. I've been impressed with what this jeep can do.

post #3 of 8 Old 10-16-2015, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Anschutz
2012 JK Wrangler 

New tires going on this weekend or maybe today if I get our of work in time. 33x10.50R15 BFG AT KO2. Maybe get a little wheeling in this weekend too.

post #4 of 8 Old 10-17-2015, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Anschutz
2012 JK Wrangler 

Got new tires yesterday. They look alright. Today I'm adjusting the drums, taking nerf bars off and probably rear fenders coming off.

Attachment 2453978
Attached Thumbnails
20151016_182235.jpg  

post #5 of 8 Old 10-17-2015, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Anschutz
2012 JK Wrangler 

I think I am going to go with CC Fab Fenders when I get back from NTC.

Today I took off my Nerf Bars. They were only on there so my mom could get in easier. My 4' 11" Fiance may have a slightly harder time now but she likes my truck better anyways.

post #6 of 8 Old 10-18-2015, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Anschutz
2012 JK Wrangler 

Went up Old Stage Rd to take some pictures last night and heard a rattle that I thought was my chain hoist bouncing around until I realized it was under the tub. Got out and saw this.

Bolt sheared off and shock came unmounted. Unbolted the lower part of the shock and put it in the back. Had a few ideas that failed to get the sheared part out. First Tried to lock-tite (red) a nut to the exposed threads but even after an hour and a half of cure time it just came off. Then tried vise grips from the top and nothing. Back to the store for Liquid Wrench, a cold chisel, and small sledge. Put the liquid wrench on from the top and tried the vise grips again. Nothing, so out came the chisel and sledge. After about 30 minutes of pounding away, I finally broke the weld nut off and inserted new bolts with a washer. then nuts from the bottom. Took out my fender liners and removed the flares. Looks a little better now and those liners had about 11 years of clay underneath them. Took the Jeep to the car wash and sprayed every nook and cranny I could. Most of the dirt from underneath was in my hair or had shaken loose while beating the nut out of the frame.
Attached Thumbnails
20151018_005938.jpg   20151018_192846.jpg  

post #7 of 8 Old 10-25-2015, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Anschutz
2012 JK Wrangler 

This week I only added a new top. I wanted a little security for my stuff in the back and never put any people back there anymore and since children are a few years down the road at least I decided to go with the Smittybilt standard top, windbreaker, and tonneau cover. My first worry was that I wouldn't have enough heat in the winter time. Well last night at about 35* I had to put my heater on barely blowing any heat to stop sweating.

Went up Old Stage Road at about 430 yesterday evening to try to get some sunset shots up in the mountains and ended up running into some other guys wheeling so my plans changed. Caught them on the sharp turn of the Mt. Baldy Trail so it ended up being a 4Runner, XJ, my TJ, a stock YJ, and a JKU X. The YJ and JKU guys were pretty new but it's an easier trail to do. We got caught up by a tree that had fallen across the trail but with some winch work we continued on. There's a large hill on this trail that the 4Runner and XJ struggled on due to bad tires and probably weight but all the Wranglers made it up no problem. It was my first time wheeling in the snow and I had a blast. Definitely some mud techniques that cross over to the snow. Most of the pictures I took were on the move so they cam out crappy due to slow shutter speed but here's two of the better ones.

DSC_1014 by Zachary Wells, on Flickr
DSC_1011 by Zachary Wells, on Flickr

Last edited by Anschutz; 10-25-2015 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Resize Photos
post #8 of 8 Old 10-28-2015, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Anschutz
2012 JK Wrangler 

So I'll be gone for a month but when I get back my plans are to put new springs in the rear as they are worn out, either anti rock or reinstall my sway bar with new links, oil change and new coolant, and decide if I want to take it or the dodge on my block leave. I kind of want to hit some NGA trails but the dodge is a little more suited for long drives. Either way my winch is coming back with me and I'll redo my DIY smittybilt in cab thread.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.